First cruise!! two great options, need help choosing

djdemsher

11 hours ago, OCruisers said:

Please tell what you liked/did not like at Harvest Cay.  

if you'd like, you can click on the link in my signature for Norwegian Getaway - I reviewed all of our ports of call... :) or just click here:

Basically, we are beach people (not pool people), and we are spoiled by the soft white sands and clear water of the Panhandle Florida, so murky water and coarse light brown sand at Harvest Cay didn't do anything for us. We dragged the lounge chairs into the shade and relaxed/swam for a couple of hours, but it was not as enjoyable as, say, Bonaire, Aruba, Grand Cayman, or Panama City Beach, FL. Or even Labadee and Princess Cay. Well, at least we didn't have to tender, like in Princess Cay, right?

But there was no free food or drinks like on Princess Cay (which is a product of tendering, of course)... and because the water was so murky, there was no simple snorkeling which we enjoyed at other ports.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

if you'd like, you can click on the link in my signature for Norwegian Getaway - I reviewed all of our ports of call... 🙂 or just click here:

Basically, we are beach people (not pool people), and we are spoiled by the soft white sands and clear water of the Panhandle Florida, so murky water and coarse light brown sand at Harvest Cay didn't do anything for us. We dragged the lounge chairs into the shade and relaxed/swam for a couple of hours, but it was not as enjoyable as, say, Bonaire, Aruba, Grand Cayman, or Panama City Beach, FL. Or even Labadee and Princess Cay. Well, at least we didn't have to tender, like in Princess Cay, right?

But there was no free food or drinks like on Princess Cay (which is a product of tendering, of course)... and because the water was so murky, there was no simple snorkeling which we enjoyed at other ports.

As far as tendering, shouldn’t really matter.  We were at CocoCay in 2015 on Freedom and we were the only ship there.  Had “free” lunch and moderate bar service on the island.  I do not know if food is brought from the ship, or if they have storage facilities on the island, and if food is brought from the ship, whether it is cooked onboard and kept in hot boxes, or if it’s cooked onshore.  

• Like 1

Well hello original poster DJ. As you can see opinions are all over the place. I would let the reluctant partner choose. Your goal is to have a good time together and perhaps convince this individual of their previously unrealized love of cruising. 

Both of of these lines have, you known, sort of been at this for a while and know what they’re doing. They wouldn’t be in the game anymore if people didn’t like them more than they dislike them. Both have potential hidden charges as noted with the grats on NCL beverages. So we all gotta watch for that on any mass market cruise.

We haven’t done Norwegian but would not rule out giving them a spin if the stars line up right. We were certainly impressed with our one experience on RC Oasis class so it’s hard to avoid putting my vote in for Symphony. Plus we really loved Central Park, though we were in an inside stateroom nearby so I cannot comment on the balcony other than to say it’s always in view of people below in the park and above from the pool deck.

Please let us know what you decide!

• Like 1

I've sailed Carnival, Princess, RCCL and NCL. To me, they're all about the same bc I am not a picky person at all when it comes to food, shows, etc. I just go with the flow.  

I believe someone else mentioned about comparing the ships again and what specifically they have to offer. An Oasis Class ship is something I want to do in the future for sure, but I also like what I have read and seen about the newer NCL ships as well.  The perks of having the beverage package is a definite plus but check out other hidden fees as well (is there a charge for room service, gratuities per day, etc.). For me, I just want an adults only area, a good place to grab snacks, and a beautiful cabin.  Anthem of the Seas was probably the biggest and nicest ship I was on back in 2016 and it was relatively new then. Nothing like a new ship.

What are the sort of things your husband enjoys? If you take his opinion into account, one of those ships might jump out on top. If he prefers to do stuff on shore, the ship makes less of a difference. But if he wants to stay aboard, a lot of onboard entertainment is a must.

• Like 1