First cruise!! two great options, need help choosing

djdemsher

Hey there everyone!! so excited to finally be using these boards after reading so many fun posts.

So. I finally convinced my partner to go on a cruise with me next January, Ive been wanting to do one for years and years, he's much less convinced he will like it.

Ive narrowed it down to two different cruises, both sail on the same dates, to very similar ports oddly enough.

Both cruises are from Jan 4th - Jan 11th, Both departing Miami.

Option 1:

Symphony of the seas, Central Park view veranda cabin (or ocean view veranda for just a bit more).

Brand new ship, looks amazing, shows and entertainment are super appealing to me. Overall would be my first choice

if I hadn't found option 2 haha.

Option 2:

Norwegian Escape, Ocean view veranda cabin.

Haven't done as much research on this one, and I get less excited about it than the symphony. However its still a beautiful ship with

some fun looking stuff. a little less appealing, but still a great option.

HERES THE CATCH: The beverage package, and specialty dining package are included on this cruise. and that is a hard offer to ignore.

Both cruises are around the same price. If I choose a ocean veranda on symphony, it'll be the same cost as Norwegian escapes balcony cabin.

Again this is our first cruise ever. we would take big advantage of the beverage and dining package, so that may be worth it. but symphony seems like such 

a fun ship with such fun stuff.

at this point I'm open to both. I would love your guys' opinions. has anyone cruised both? or a similar class on both lines?

Thanks in advanced!!

5 minutes ago, djdemsher said:

Hey there everyone!! so excited to finally be using these boards after reading so many fun posts.

So. I finally convinced my partner to go on a cruise with me next January, Ive been wanting to do one for years and years, he's much less convinced he will like it.

Ive narrowed it down to two different cruises, both sail on the same dates, to very similar ports oddly enough.

Both cruises are from Jan 4th - Jan 11th, Both departing Miami.

Option 1:

Symphony of the seas, Central Park view veranda cabin (or ocean view veranda for just a bit more).

Brand new ship, looks amazing, shows and entertainment are super appealing to me. Overall would be my first choice

if I hadn't found option 2 haha.

Option 2:

Norwegian Escape, Ocean view veranda cabin.

Haven't done as much research on this one, and I get less excited about it than the symphony. However its still a beautiful ship with

some fun looking stuff. a little less appealing, but still a great option.

HERES THE CATCH: The beverage package, and specialty dining package are included on this cruise. and that is a hard offer to ignore.

Both cruises are around the same price. If I choose a ocean veranda on symphony, it'll be the same cost as Norwegian escapes balcony cabin.

Again this is our first cruise ever. we would take big advantage of the beverage and dining package, so that may be worth it. but symphony seems like such 

a fun ship with such fun stuff.

at this point I'm open to both. I would love your guys' opinions. has anyone cruised both? or a similar class on both lines?

Thanks in advanced!!

Ive not personally sailed NCL.  My TA has been wanting us to try them, but I’ve read lots of complaints about NCL, ranging from tiny cabins, “inedible” food (obviously very subjective), to overpriced drink packages, etc.  We used to be strictly Carnival cruisers, with one Princess thrown in, until we took our TA’s advice she had been giving us for years- to try something different.  She had recommended Royal Caribbean, as well as NCL.  We ended up switching to RCI, and while not perfect, have enjoyed it very much, and have our second RCI cruise booked.  That said, I would consider NCL if the price were right, to try them.  

• Thanks 1

don't forget the 20% gratuity that will be charged on the "free" drink and specialty restaurant packages on Norwegian. WE chose to go with the guarantee cabins without the "free" perks, because they are not free. First, you pay for them in terms of higher cabin price, and then you pay 20% extra for gratuities.

RCI's and Norwegian's food is equally inedible. Entertainment is a little better on RCI, but I believe ship activities for a younger couple will be a lot more plentiful than on Escape. You gotta research both ships.

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Harvest Cay is nothing to write home about.... Many years ago we liked Cococay, and I think RCI has added a lot of nice things to it since then.

"Added a lot" is an understatement.  The island is undergoing a complete transformation, which should be done by the time the OP sails.  In fact - that's going to be a new stop for Oasis-class ships (of which Symphony is one) as those ships don't or can't tender and until the pier is done it's a tender-only stop (always has been).

Water park, fresh water pools, additional food options.  Look up "perfect day at Cococay" and you'll see it'll be a totally different place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hallux said:

"Added a lot" is an understatement.  The island is undergoing a complete transformation, which should be done by the time the OP sails.  In fact - that's going to be a new stop for Oasis-class ships (of which Symphony is one) as those ships don't or can't tender and until the pier is done it's a tender-only stop (always has been).

Water park, fresh water pools, additional food options.  Look up "perfect day at Cococay" and you'll see it'll be a totally different place.

Unfortunately, we won’t be sailing until next year, but have Harmony booked for May 2020 to San Juan, St Maarten, and CocoCay.  Can’t wait to see how much CocoCay has changed.

7 hours ago, A2Mich said:

Can’t wait to see how much CocoCay has changed.

Be prepared for a large and pricey water park / resort with limited complimentary fare included venues.  Not having to tender will be a plus I guess....

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Be prepared for a large and pricey water park / resort with limited complimentary fare included venues.  Not having to tender will be a plus I guess....

I heard about that. the prices are pretty insane for the water park and stuff, but I can pass on that and be just fine. 

debating between these two lines is kinda like comparing red apples to green apples. They're both good apples,

but you get a completely different experience with each one. (wow I should've been a philosopher 😉)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Personally; given that choice I would do the NCL cruise. I haven’t cruised Royal so I can’t compare but I really like NCL. Getting the drink and specialty dining for the same price would seal the deal for me. Love the freestyle concept with no dress code or set dinner times. Food is hit or miss but the variety is great. And the entertainment is the best of any cruise line I have been on.

8 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Personally; given that choice I would do the NCL cruise. I haven’t cruised Royal so I can’t compare but I really like NCL. Getting the drink and specialty dining for the same price would seal the deal for me. Love the freestyle concept with no dress code or set dinner times. Food is hit or miss but the variety is great. And the entertainment is the best of any cruise line I have been on.

Just an alternative view.  I have cruised extensively with RCI, but not NCL, but RCI also is casual with My Time Dining options.  The food (per those who have cruise on both that I have talked with) is reportedly better on RCI with a good number of venue choices, and no question the Broadway style entertainment, ice skating rink, and Aqua theater on Symphony would easily equal or exceed that of NCL.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Yeah, I have seen the pricing.  I believe that Bob May have posted the price list.  Thought I was going to fall over when a few hours at RCI’s water park costs more than a full day at Disney World

Edited by A2Mich
Typo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

Yeah, I have seen the pricing.  I believe that Bob May have posted the price list.  Thought I was going to fall over when a few hours at RCI’s water park costs more than a full day at Disney World

I said in that thread, or another on the topic - I think that's primarily for crowd control.  If the water park was open at no cost to the entire ship each person would end up with maybe one trip down each slide, and imagine how crowded it'd be if there are an Oasis-class and a Quantum-class ship both there (I hear the pier will accommodate two ships at a time).

• Like 2

If they both cost the same, but you have drinks and some speciality dining included on NCL, then it is a no-brainer IMHO.

We did one RCCL cruise and vowed never again - we have done several NCL (albeit a few years ago in the 'better days'). Having said that, we have booked NCL next year for 24 days (South Africa to Singapore) and are really looking forward to it. We have been doing the more upscale lines recently, but the NCL deal was just too tempting to pass up.

10 minutes ago, hallux said:

I said in that thread, or another on the topic - I think that's primarily for crowd control.  If the water park was open at no cost to the entire ship each person would end up with maybe one trip down each slide, and imagine how crowded it'd be if there are an Oasis-class and a Quantum-class ship both there (I hear the pier will accommodate two ships at a time).

I get the whole crowd control angle, but charging extortion-like pricing to the angle crowd control amounts to near marketing genius.   I don’t have an issue with charging people to use a likely high-maintenance facility, but their pricing is insanely high.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hallux said:

Crowd control would be charging a nominal fee at one or two of what would be expected to be the more popular attractions.  Charging high fees for the majority of things to do (and venues at which to eat) is marketing to the max for the sole purpose of feeding the bottom line.  Nothing wrong with that and it is good business to support supply and demand.  If and when that changes then so too may the program.  But until then.....

• Like 2

19 hours ago, A2Mich said:

dang, I was thinking it would be free. Like seriously.

Last time we were there was in 2009, I think, and we loved how simple it was. We have no plans of going there any time soon, but I sure as hell am not paying for the stupid water park.

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Last time we were there was in 2009, I think, and we loved how simple it was. We have no plans of going there any time soon, but I sure as hell am not paying for the stupid water park.

...it is quite the amusement park!  Unfortunately it will never be quite what it used to be.  (Our first time there was in 1992 and our last in 2012).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

There are some things that are included at no additional charge, and I also don’t plan on spending extra for the water park activities.  I do think that RCI should have left it as it was, instead of over-developing the land.  It WAS a “relatively” lightly developed island, but since RCI figured out a way to make more money, they chose that option.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

There are some things that are included at no additional charge, and I also don’t plan on spending extra for the water park activities.  I do think that RCI should have left it as it was, instead of over-developing the land.  It WAS a “relatively” lightly developed island, but since RCI figured out a way to make more money, they chose that option.

Well it did take 25+ years to reach that decision.  Just keeping up with the industry and the current market - and their own trend of the past decade with their ships.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Well it did take 25+ years to reach that decision.  Just keeping up with the industry and the current market - and their own trend of the past decade with their ships.

I get it. Obviously they are in business to turn a profit, and can’t blame them.   But I think they’ve bastardized what began as a relaxing beach stop, into another cash cow (as Labadee has been).  Curious if other cruise lines have done the same with their private islands.