Cunardl Alcohol Policy

davidfcdesouza

Attached is a "copy & paste" extracted from my Voyage Personaliser (Australian version) and is the first document that appears every time I sign in to my account; so it seems that paxs are allowed "wine or bubbly" but no limit is defined.  And I/we are celebrating a special occasion; I woke up this morning!!

So I guess that I will take a few bottles from the cellar (which even Cunard would not have due to vintage) for the formal dining nights.  Thank you to all who have helped with their responses, much appreciated.  Might even run into you when you are cruising around Australia and visiting the port of Melbourne.

• On the day of embarkation, guests over the above minimum ages may bring on board wine or champagne to celebrate special occasions. If consumed in the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars, each bottle will be subject to a corkage fee of US$20 (fee subject to change). Any other alcohol purchased ashore will be collected at the gangway for safe keeping and will be returned to You on the last day of Your voyage.

On 2/24/2019 at 12:29 AM, davidfcdesouza said:

Hello, we are first time cruisers with Cunard, joining QV in STH on 28APR for a Baltic cruise, and have booked a Penthouse Suite (Queens Grill).  Would someone be able to help with clarifying the following:

a. The Cunard website indicates that paxs may bring, for on-board consumption, one or more (?) bottles of wine (but not spirits), and if consumed in a restaurant there is a USD20/bottle corkage (no problem with that).  I am keen to bring along some fine wines (not found on the Cunard wine list) for the formal nights' dining.  Would we be able to take on board 4-6 bottles of wines for consumption in the restaurants?

b. I understand that the Penthouse suites score a complimentary selection of wines OR spirits for the cabin mini-bar.  Like the more boutique cruise lines, are these replenished upon use, or is the stock meant to last for the duration of the cruise (2 weeks).

c. Has anyone taken advantage of the wine appreciation course, and if so, is it useful or a bit of on-board entertainment for bored paxs?

d. Would someone like to comment generally on the shore excursions in St Petersburg?

Many thanks and regards, David

David, Queens Grill passengers are offered a list of available spirits and wines and may select two bottles. The choice is limited, but in the past I have written in my choice (Johnnie Walker Black [2]) and they have been given to me. These are 70 ml bottles, and most of the time, when I have emptied a bottle it has been replaced. It is not a mini bar in the sense that you don't get a wider selection of small airline size bottles. The selection also included sherry and brandy as well as spirits. 

I have taken both the wine and Champagne courses and found them at a basic level. Samples are offered, but in the case of the Vueve Cliquot Champagne (replaced now by Laurent Perrier) the sample did not include La Grande Dame. I doubt some one who has a good knowledge of wines like you do would get a whole lot out of these events, but they do serve as time fillers. Generally I find Cunard's speakers to be a more interesting way to pass the time. 

11 hours ago, davidfcdesouza said:

Attached is a "copy & paste" extracted from my Voyage Personaliser (Australian version) and is the first document that appears every time I sign in to my account; so it seems that paxs are allowed "wine or bubbly" but no limit is defined.  And I/we are celebrating a special occasion; I woke up this morning!!

So I guess that I will take a few bottles from the cellar (which even Cunard would not have due to vintage) for the formal dining nights.  Thank you to all who have helped with their responses, much appreciated.  Might even run into you when you are cruising around Australia and visiting the port of Melbourne.

• On the day of embarkation, guests over the above minimum ages may bring on board wine or champagne to celebrate special occasions. If consumed in the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars, each bottle will be subject to a corkage fee of US$20 (fee subject to change). Any other alcohol purchased ashore will be collected at the gangway for safe keeping and will be returned to You on the last day of Your voyage.

David, this looks like the alcohol policy as stated in the Australia "Booking and passage conditions" document. I agree that's a fair statement of what Cunard's policy is as currently implemented (without a limit of one bottle per passenger).

I would be interested to see what you find if you (or anyone else from Australia) dig deeper into the Australia voyage personaliser. In the US voyage personaliser, there is an "Alcohol Policy" section on this page found under "Life on Board", "Useful Information".

image.thumb.png.6b4585e315c7033b4e61c6de488a2904.png

Do you have a similar page in Australia and does it also state "... You may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board to celebrate special occasions. ..."?   (my emphasis)

Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting this other alcohol policy statement within the voyage personaliser is more correct than the other one. I'm just curious if this same alternate alcohol policy statement can be found within the Australia voyage personaliser as well.

Edited by bluemarble

From the attachment to my e-ticket from a Dec 2018 voyage:

No alcohol may be purchased or consumed by any Guests under the age of 18, except when in waters of the U.S., in which case no alcohol may be purchased or consumed by any Guests under the age of 21. No Guest under the age of 18 shall be permitted to engage in any gaming activities on board the ship. No Guest under the age of 18 shall be permitted to purchase cigarettes or tobacco products. Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne on board for consumption. You must surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the voyage. A corkage fee of $25.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s restaurants.

Good luck trying to surrender the alcohol bought at ports of call, but also note that no quantity limits are specified.

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

David, this looks like the alcohol policy as stated in the Australia "Booking and passage conditions" document. I agree that's a fair statement of what Cunard's policy is as currently implemented (without a limit of one bottle per passenger).

I would be interested to see what you find if you (or anyone else from Australia) dig deeper into the Australia voyage personaliser. In the US voyage personaliser, there is an "Alcohol Policy" section on this page found under "Life on Board", "Useful Information".

image.thumb.png.6b4585e315c7033b4e61c6de488a2904.png

Do you have a similar page in Australia and does it also state "... You may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board to celebrate special occasions. ..."?   (my emphasis)

Don't get me wrong. I'm not suggesting this other alcohol policy statement within the voyage personaliser is more correct than the other one. I'm just curious if this same alternate alcohol policy statement can be found within the Australia voyage personaliser as well.

Here you are, bluemarble, direct from my Australian Voyage Personaliser page:

Alcohol Policy

Duty- and tax-free alcohol is available for purchase and will be delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your voyage. You may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board to celebrate special occasions. If consumed in restaurants or bars, each bottle will be subjected to a corkage fee. Guests who are under 18 years of age are not permitted to purchase or consume alcohol on board.  In U.S. waters, Cunard abides by the U.S. legal drinking age of 21 years.

Any wines purchased via the Little Luxuries Collection are not subject to the on board $25 corkage fee

2 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Here you are, bluemarble, direct from my Australian Voyage Personaliser page:

Alcohol Policy

Duty- and tax-free alcohol is available for purchase and will be delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your voyage. You may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board to celebrate special occasions. If consumed in restaurants or bars, each bottle will be subjected to a corkage fee. Guests who are under 18 years of age are not permitted to purchase or consume alcohol on board.  In U.S. waters, Cunard abides by the U.S. legal drinking age of 21 years.

Any wines purchased via the Little Luxuries Collection are not subject to the on board $25 corkage fee

Thanks for that. So you in Australia also have multiple alcohol policy statements -- one that specifies a one bottle limit and one that does not. I supposed at least we can say Cunard is consistently inconsistent about that.

Just now, bluemarble said:

Thanks for that. So you in Australia also have multiple alcohol policy statements -- one that specifies a one bottle limit and one that does not. I supposed at least we can say Cunard is consistently inconsistent about that.

I would expect that legally one is bound by the details contained in the most complete statement. The other information does not preclude the limitation of one bottle, it is simply not explicitly stated. And the fact that the more detailed information is delivered directly to me (any of us as passengers) in my Voyage Personaliser and (I would think) therefore forms part of my specific and personal contract with Cunard, would say to me that I am agreeing to be bound by those rules.

Not that I care either way to be honest.

We frequently take several bottles of wine onboard especially if sailing from Southampton. There has been no problem as we to pay the corkage charge in the restaurant.  We usually take a bottle of gin as well.

This was the case in January when we were on QM2 we took wine and bought spirits from the liquor shop onboard, which we could collect the day before Dubai.  We could then purchase more to take away immediately on the next sector if required.  The corkage charge was $20.

G'day all from Melbourne Australia (as if you didn't know this already!!).

Thank you to Elephant1151, Blumarble, Undrwtr, Bigmike, and Littlefish for your very specific comments and responses.  I suspect that the rules are left deliberately vague and non-specific to allow for latitude in enforcing them, without cutting the Cunard noses off.  I have already packed a wonderful selection of wines for the trip (end-APR) and will take my chances on the interpretation on boarding day.

I was fortunate to take the QE out of Melbourne yesterday (she's back on 18MAR) and spent a great deal of time talking to the Old Man (we both went to sea around the same time) but unfortunately failed to grasp the opportunity to put this vexing question to the Hotel GM (Irish; she came up to the bridge just before we let go) as I would have had a straight answer.  Maybe I'll catch the ship on her next visit to MEL. Keep you all posted, regards.

Edited by davidfcdesouza
grammar

6 hours ago, davidfcdesouza said:

G'day all from Melbourne Australia (as if you didn't know this already!!).

Thank you to Elephant1151, Blumarble, Undrwtr, Bigmike, and Littlefish for your very specific comments and responses.  I suspect that the rules are left deliberately vague and non-specific to allow for latitude in enforcing them, without cutting the Cunard noses off.  I have already packed a wonderful selection of wines for the trip (end-APR) and will take my chances on the interpretation on boarding day.

I was fortunate to take the QE out of Melbourne yesterday (she's back on 18MAR) and spent a great deal of time talking to the Old Man (we both went to sea around the same time) but unfortunately failed to grasp the opportunity to put this vexing question to the Hotel GM (Irish; she came up to the bridge just before we let go) as I would have had a straight answer.  Maybe I'll catch the ship on her next visit to MEL. Keep you all posted, regards.

Tag team, davidfcdesouza! I'll be boarding as you are disembarking next Monday!

G'day Littlefish, RYMsg and contents noted with thanks, unfortunately in the case that I bring her in I'll be long gone before you start your check-in formalities.  However, I may well take her out and in that case please look for me (or the pilot) about 45 or so minutes before departure.  You can always enquire from the gangway security staff if the pilot has embarked.  You know what I look like so if it is myself on the job, please come forward and say hello.

PS I will be sans the pussy cat!!

On 3/14/2019 at 10:14 AM, davidfcdesouza said:

G'day Littlefish, RYMsg and contents noted with thanks, unfortunately in the case that I bring her in I'll be long gone before you start your check-in formalities.  However, I may well take her out and in that case please look for me (or the pilot) about 45 or so minutes before departure.  You can always enquire from the gangway security staff if the pilot has embarked.  You know what I look like so if it is myself on the job, please come forward and say hello.

PS I will be sans the pussy cat!!

Hello Littlefish, it seems that I will miss out on the QE by one job!! Bad luck but I will be on the ship ahead of you, 1500 departure Kokopo Chief so if you access marinetraffic.com you'll at leats know where I am.  However, in this job anything can happen so it may be that I do the QE.  Irespective, please have an enjoyable and safe cruise and holiday.  Many thanks for your responses, and do let me know how it all went.  BTW the QE captain is Simon Love, so if you get to meet him, please give him my best, regards

20 minutes ago, davidfcdesouza said:

Hello Littlefish, it seems that I will miss out on the QE by one job!! Bad luck but I will be on the ship ahead of you, 1500 departure Kokopo Chief so if you access marinetraffic.com you'll at leats know where I am.  However, in this job anything can happen so it may be that I do the QE.  Irespective, please have an enjoyable and safe cruise and holiday.  Many thanks for your responses, and do let me know how it all went.  BTW the QE captain is Simon Love, so if you get to meet him, please give him my best, regards

Many thanks, davidfcdesouza! Sorry we won't say 'hi!' but I shall certainly look out for our Captain and pass on your regards. I'm expecting the internet to be pretty poor so am not expecting to be able to post updates - more's the pity - but I will definitely let you know how it went on my return. Cheers for now.