Rental Tuxedos

MOW

:confused:My husband is thinking of renting a tux for our upcoming Hawaii cruise in March. Is this a good idea? It would be cheaper than buying a new suit!

Is the sizing accurate. Thanks for any input. :) MOW

Hi MOW ~

Yes, I think it is a good idea. We have done it every time we have cruised. It is so easy and he will look great.

Here is the site for rentals. They work with the cruiseships.

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/

You get measured @ home....at a local Tuxedo Shop. On the site, you provide the measurements.

When you board the ship, the Tuxedo will either be there already....or it will arrive shorty thereafter.

For some reason, if the Tuxedo does not fit quite right, the ship has an alterations department that will come up to your cabin and make it right. I have seen several folks having this done. Minor adjustments.

It costs about $100.

You can even rent the shoes.

BTW, Welcome to Cruise Critic !! It's good to have you ABOARD !

My husband went on line and found a tux at VERY good price. We cruise a lot and he wears it on evry cruise. His fit fine but you can always have alterations made if necessary.

My husband's tux also came from an online sorce and is really great we also cruise a lot and he used to rent onboard which was ok and they fit fine but they are so cookie cutter, with the online store you can get something really stylish.

So far he has worn it on two cruises and our daughters wedding and will be wearing it on the Norwegian Sun on our Feb 4 cruise.

the two I used are buy4lesstuxedo.com and etuxedo.com

DH rented a tux online and it was delived to our cabin the second day of the cruise. The pants turned out to be about 3 inches too short. He called our cabin attendent, who spoke with the tailor, took the pants and returned 5 minutes later with a brand new pair that fit perfect!

• 2 weeks later...

If you think that you and your husband will cruise again then once you have cruised two to three times you will hit the break-even point for purchasing a tuxedo vs renting one.

There are many places to purchase a tuxedo at a reasonable price. JC Penney and Joseph A. Banks (be sure that they are on sale at both of these places), K&G Clothiers (if you have one near you) and Nordstrom Rack. Keep in mind though that in addition to the tuxedo, he will need bow tie, cummerbund, and tuxedo shirt. For shoes, either tuxedo shoes or nice looking dress shoes in black.

But, if you think that you will not do this too often, then it might be fun for him to wear a tuxedo as opposted to buying a new suit.

Keith

Renting a tux onboard is alright if you are a "normal" size. If you are large or tall, you might have a problem if you get the wrong size. This happened to a fellow cruise critic friend on one of our cruises. He wore a larger size and the pants delivered were the wrong size. They did not have any pants aboard large enough for him.

What is a good stylish alternative to wearing a tux on the formal dinner seating? A suit with a dress-shirt, tie and jacket? Would I have to wear the jacket or would a dress-shirt and tie be enough? The other cruises I went on, I wore a button down shirt and a tie, but I felt sooooo underdressed in there ... but no one said anything to me about it. It just seemed like everyone else was wearing their absolute best clothing.

Undrhil

Archived