IAH to Galveston traffic

ajm

We are arriving late Friday night for a cruise on a Saturday.  We were thinking to just get a hotel by the airport but weren't sure about traffic on Saturday morning.  Does anyone know if it would be better to get closer to the Galveston port late Friday (thinking of taking Uber) as opposed to attempting it on Saturday morning.

Thanks in advance.

It's going to be much easier to get to Galveston on Saturday. I've lived in Houston all my life and I'd rather have a tooth pulled with anesthetic than drive from IAH to Galveston on Friday evening!! Uber is bound to charge much more on Friday evening than Saturday morning as it will take much longer to get from A to B.

No way would I travel, then drive that far in the middle of the night.  I would get an airport hotel, get some rest and leave before 10am Saturday morning.  That will put you down in Galveston plenty early.  My daughter stayed at LaQuinta last week and thought it was fine for 1 night.  Something like $75 on booking dot com.  Shuttle doesn’t run after midnight though so that may be a factor.  4:30am to midnight.  Safe travels!

2 hours ago, ajm said:

Thanks but I should say that we are getting in around 11 pm on Friday night so I would hope there isn't any rush hour traffic.

Yes, traffic would not be a problem at that time, but I'd still stay by the airport and take morning transportation as lifes-a-beach said above.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 11:46 AM, ajm said:

We are arriving late Friday night for a cruise on a Saturday.  We were thinking to just get a hotel by the airport but weren't sure about traffic on Saturday morning.  Does anyone know if it would be better to get closer to the Galveston port late Friday (thinking of taking Uber) as opposed to attempting it on Saturday morning.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't worry about traffic on Saturday.  Just give yourself plenty of time in case of accidents. 

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get from Hobby to Galveston.  3 of us!  We are arriving around 4:00 on Wednesday and have a hotel already reserved in Galveston.  We are used to renting a car in Florida and can return them at any port with no one way fee.  In Texas car rentals are so expensive because of that fee. Any ideas?  

13 hours ago, yankedog said:

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get from Hobby to Galveston.  3 of us!  We are arriving around 4:00 on Wednesday and have a hotel already reserved in Galveston.  We are used to renting a car in Florida and can return them at any port with no one way fee.  In Texas car rentals are so expensive because of that fee. Any ideas?  

You should read all the threads.  I think that there is only one car rental in Galveston, Enterprise, so you would still have to get from the Enterprise lot to the port. Being the "only game in town" may be the reason for the premium cost.  I personally am a fan of the shuttles, unless you just need to have a car and a way around town.  I have a car rental one way for one day before my cruise and it's only costing me about $53. Its just to get me from IAH to another airport near my Mom's house.