Steakhouse with kids?

MermaidMommy03

On 2/27/2019 at 8:58 AM, ALSPAUGHDOLL said:

We are taking our boys 11 and 13 to the steakhouse.  When I 1st made the reservation I did it for just my husband and I.  I then realized it was the night of Easter so I ended up changing our reservations to include the boys.  We are all foodies and my boys love a good steak dinner.  I figured it was worth it to have them with us.  We also don’t want to be without them for the same reasons you mentioned.  We spend so much time working, running them around for sports. We want to spend our time with them while they still think we are cool! If your kids will enjoy the time with you and you can afford it I say do it’s. You and your husband deserve a great meal too! 

Make sure to get the "art" dessert.
Since you are all foodies y'all will get a kick out of the presentation and the different flavors.
We went to the Steakhouse for the first time this last cruise and have decided that it will be a regular thing from now on.
Enjoy!

Agree with TR, never had a bad steak there.  My relatives rant about Longhorn, tried it and it was steps down from TR (different taste buds I guess, I dunno).

Anyways, I did notice carnival offers a flat-iron steak, how bad is it?  Has this always been on the menu?  On RCI, it's been nice to have a striploin backup in case the menu was meh on a night....  

Seems the cost of the steakhouse is now up to $38 (CC website), and I read if you want a second entree, it's another $20?  I'd heard it was 1 sit down fee and you could have a second entree if you wish (no fee).... Things change, I know....

1 hour ago, young_ens said:

Seems the cost of the steakhouse is now up to $38 (CC website), and I read if you want a second entree, it's another $20?  I'd heard it was 1 sit down fee and you could have a second entree if you wish (no fee).... Things change, I know....

The policy has always been in effect that you get only 1 entree in the Steakhouse.  If you have an app, salad, soup, entree, two sides and dessert....where are you going to put another entree? This was especially true back in the day when they still had the porterhouse steak on the menu.  You can also swap out the salad or soup for a second app.

You of course can have as many entrees as you would like in the MDR.  You also get your best value at Cucina del Capitano.  For only 15.00, you can get an app, entree, dessert, side and even share a full size pasta.

• Thanks 1

On the Conquest last week, we experienced our longest ever Steakhouse meal out of maybe 30 dinners there.

From sit down to check took 3 hours.  Usually the meal takes 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours.  

A parent should be aware to bring something to keep a child amused for that long of a meal.

On 2/26/2019 at 12:42 PM, coevan said:

If you don't show up there is no charge. The Steakhouse is billed like a land restaurant. You don't get a bill until your done. 

Of course, common decency would be to cancel the reservation so that if there is a wait-list, someone else could enjoy the experience. I know this is Cruise Critic and all, but...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, young_ens said:

Agree with TR, never had a bad steak there.  My relatives rant about Longhorn, tried it and it was steps down from TR (different taste buds I guess, I dunno).

Anyways, I did notice carnival offers a flat-iron steak, how bad is it?  Has this always been on the menu?  On RCI, it's been nice to have a striploin backup in case the menu was meh on a night....  

The flat-iron is decent. I think it could use some seasoning, but I understand why they go with the bland option. The steak snobs that insist their med-rare steak has to be at 138 degree exactly will naturally complain when if it is cooked to 140 degrees, as to be expected. 

On 3/1/2019 at 7:30 AM, young_ens said:

Anyways, I did notice carnival offers a flat-iron steak, how bad is it?  Has this always been on the menu?

I thought it was pretty good in the MDR ordered med rare, we even got them off the dinner buffet once last year on the 2nd elegant night and they were good, cut them fairly easily with a butter knife (we didn't realize they had steak knifes until after we ate). I mostly cook flat-irons and other inexpensive cuts at home for steak nights and we enjoy them, so my opinion may be skewed. 

I don't know how long they've been on the menu, we saw them for the first time in 2017, before that we cruised last in 2010 and I believe it was a sirloin steak offered. 

Edited by schazzy

It all comes down to the child - my son is now 14 and starting when he was 11, he has gone to most of Carnival’s for fee restaurants (JiJis, Cucina, Steakhouses)

My daughter is 9 and we probably will not try her on a for fee Carnival restaurant until  she is ready for college (just not her thing)

Not much to add about the Steakhouse, but I will say that (different from Camp Ocean) in the Circle C (12-14) and Club O2 (15-17) teen clubs we've found it is very important that the teens go to the first night activity.  That's when they all meet new friends and usually end up hanging out with those same kids for the rest of the cruise.  If you miss the first night, the next day it's a bit like starting at a new school mid-year!  So just something to consider as you make your decisions.  Good luck and enjoy your cruise! 

6 hours ago, PalmTree601 said:

Not much to add about the Steakhouse, but I will say that (different from Camp Ocean) in the Circle C (12-14) and Club O2 (15-17) teen clubs we've found it is very important that the teens go to the first night activity.  That's when they all meet new friends and usually end up hanging out with those same kids for the rest of the cruise.  If you miss the first night, the next day it's a bit like starting at a new school mid-year!  So just something to consider as you make your decisions.  Good luck and enjoy your cruise! 

Thank you!! I think my fear is my oldest (12 yr old) not going the first night. I really want her to meet some friends. And the reservation for the steakhouse probably around the meet and greet time (I am not sure what time they meet up at circle c 

Your kids can get steak in the MDR.  If you are foodies, then why not go for the Chef's Table experience for just you and your husband?  Much more interesting dishes and includes the paired wines with each course.