clothing

lynne2fl

Can previous Alaskan cruisers offer help on the layering of clothing"  We are going to be traveling mid -late June,  We live in the south and ALL of my everyday clothing consists of sleeveless shirts and shorts.  Do you think that gym/yoga 

quick dry tanks could be used as a base layer under short sleeve shirts?

Yes, a thin layer underneath will of course help - but you still have the twofold problem of no covering at all on most of your arms & legs plus a climate that is very variable but pretty much always a lot cooler than you're used to in Florida! What do you wear in winter around your home town? Do you have no regular pants/long-sleeved shirts at all? What about a waterproof jacket of some kind?

Even the end of June you'll find that temps in ports will statistically be cool for you; onboard the ship, especially near glaciers and if the ship is moving into the wind, the 'real feel' temp could be 20F or more lower than the nominal temp as well. Looking up the monthly stats for say Juneau vs your neck of the woods, you're looking at averages 10F lower than your local December weather! Highs in the mid 60s, lows around 50F - but with the caveat that these averages will vary a lot more than your local weather too. You could have highs over 80 with glorious sunshine and the next day constant rain and temps below 60 all day.

If you think your bare arms & legs can manage temps that feel as low as 40F, sure, don't bother acquiring any extra clothing - but if not you will definitely want to at least look into long-sleeved shirts or sweatshirts, pants, and a thin pair of gloves and a hat so you can stay out on deck when it feels chilly. You could wait to buy some as souvenirs on arrival, but I'd be packing at least one pair of pants and one long-sleeved shirt in advance for the first sea day. They don't have to be fancy - you're not going on a multi-day hike so dry, indoor temps are available to you inside the ship easily - but at least hit up Walmart or Target for some khakis and a couple of shirts so that worst-case you just need to buy a sweatshirt or hoodie for another layer if it still feels really cold to you.

Layering for Alaska is generally considered to be 3 layers...

The layer closest to your skin is your base layer. Also called your comfort layer. Wicking fabric makes a good base layer. Merino wool also makes a good base layer. Anything that you want close to your skin for whatever reason seems appropriate given the weather conditions you are likely to encounter makes a good base layer. Generally, you don't want something uncomfortable...nor something that would hold onto sweat (crazy to think it could happen, but it can) if you will have something over your base layer.

The next layer is generally thought of as a warmth layer. If you have nice weather...then you don't need a warmth layer. Your base layer may be all you need. The base layer could be a normal t-shirt of sorts, whether short or long sleeved. So your warmth layer is anything that you add to...drumroll...help you be warm. Fleece jackets. Fleece vests. Any vest, really. A sweater. A sweat shirt. A merino wool long-sleeved shirt over a different base layer...like a quick dry tank. Anything that you want to put on to help you be warm.

The top layer is generally thought of as your protective layer, what you wear to protect you from the inclement weather...rain or wind. A water proof rain jacket. A wind breaker.

The idea of these layers is that you can mix and match according to your activity levels and the current weather. The weather can change hourly...with pleasant weather in the sun, cooler feeling in any shade or cloud cover, a bit of wind, and rain that comes and goes. And generally all of that happening over the course of a few hours.

You will want some long sleeved shirts. If you are doing any excursions on the water (like whale watching)..or plan to be out on deck on the ship in the evenings, especially...it can feel much cooler on the water. It is still summer, so there can of course be times when you don't need long sleeves, but the coast is generally cooler and the breeze and shade can make a big difference in how it feels.

• Like 2

Lynn    a word to the wise   Mosiquito is the national bird of Alaska.  you would be wise to cover up and take bug repelent

We are going on our second cruise to Alaska this summer and we lived there serveral summers  so here is what I know.

The weather is unpredictable   be prepaired for sun, fog and rain and cold.  Especially cold.

my wardrobe is  tee shirts, long sleeved tees, sweats and blue jeans.    on the ship is climate controlled but keep a sweater handy

take a parka and/or pancho, hats and gloves as well as rain proof shoes or boots.

have a fun trip

DSC04038.JPG

DSC04036.JPG

DSC04039.JPG

• Like 1

I second the insect spray. I highly recommend one that is independently produced in Alaska:

https://www.alpenglowskincare.com/collections/alaskas-best-insect-repellent

What I liked about this particular one...first, it's effective. We went camping after our cruise, surrounded by clouds of mosquitos, so I can attest to how effective it is. Second, it isn't offensive. I can have issue with using bug repellent, being unhappy with the idea of typical smelly, offensive chemicals getting stuck on my clothing and being on my skin. I was especially worried about the effect it would have on my clothes in the midst of travel and not being able to deal with repellent on my clothing...and this one was very good and I was happy using it.

June in Alaska, I have experienced temperatures from 50's/60's to a couple of days on 1 cruise where we had mid 90's in Juneau & Skagway and mid 80's in Whittier. Rain and wind conditions can also change quickly, so with wind chill, on open decks it can get cool.

On many visits to Glacier Bay, many pax on the outer decks look like they are visiting the Arctic, but have also visited Glacier Bay in brilliant sunshine & temps in the 70's. However, even on the warmest days in Glacier Bay, I don't recall many pax wearing shorts.

While I favour shorts & short sleeved shirts, I would not consider an Alaska cruise without including long trousers, sweaters and rain/wind jacket.

• Thanks to everyone for the wonderful clothing tips.  Amazon, here I come...lol,  I ordered a thick knit hat, texting gloves, socks, waterproof hiking shoes, and  a waterproof travel raincoat I actually went to the store and purchased a couple of long sleeved shirts and jeans.  This should at least give me a start preparing.  We have 1 week on land prior to the cruise and need to pack ligjt.  Do ya'll think that leggings would be okay?  I can appreciate the comments on bug spray...….down here we have the "MONSTER MOSQUITO" that can pick up a small house..lol  Does anyone have suggestions on bicnoculars...8 x 42  or 10 x 42.....brands?

8 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

I second the insect spray. I highly recommend one that is independently produced in Alaska:

https://www.alpenglowskincare.com/collections/alaskas-best-insect-repellent

What I liked about this particular one...first, it's effective. We went camping after our cruise, surrounded by clouds of mosquitos, so I can attest to how effective it is. Second, it isn't offensive. I can have issue with using bug repellent, being unhappy with the idea of typical smelly, offensive chemicals getting stuck on my clothing and being on my skin. I was especially worried about the effect it would have on my clothes in the midst of travel and not being able to deal with repellent on my clothing...and this one was very good and I was happy using it.

The spray sounds great....not a big fan of DEET

19 minutes ago, lynne2fl said:
  • ........ Does anyone have suggestions on bicnoculars...8 x 42  or 10 x 42.....brands?

After much research, I decided on Celestron 8 X 25 for their wider angle of view and ideal zoom range.  The higher the zoom ranges ( 10, 12) are more difficult to hold in steady hands on moving ships/boats.  Buying a model that is waterproof and fog resistant is also important.

We were just trying out binoculars in the store this weekend.

We have just about decided on wing span 8x32

We have three older pairs at home, one 10x50, and another that's 7x-15x35, and a really compact 12x25 pair.

The 10X50, to much motion, the 12X25 same problem and not enough light, the 7x-15 we are considering taking with

Binoculars supplied to the Bridge teams on most of my ships were 7x35 or 7x50. The first number is the magnification, with 7x being a good option for use on moving ships, especially if you haven't much experience using binoculars on a ship. Suggest 7 or 8 x to a maximum of 10x.

The 2nd number is the diameter of the optic, which determines the amount of light gathered. Doubling the diameter of the lens, quadruples the amount of light. However, size and weight increases significantly as the 2nd number increases. If planning to use binoculars at night and/or dusk, look for a larger 2nd number.

You also have auto-focus, or perma-focus options, where the binoculars are permanently focused from about 20' to infinity.

Personally, I use Bushnell 12x50 permafocus. Used Bushnells on most ships for 40 years and they are a cheaper, but reasonable binocular, provided they aren't dropped. You can pay more money for Nikons, Zeiss, etc. but if I was purchasing a quality pair it would be Swarovski.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2019 at 6:51 PM, blazer58 said:

We were just trying out binoculars in the store this weekend.

We have just about decided on wing span 8x32

We have three older pairs at home, one 10x50, and another that's 7x-15x35, and a really compact 12x25 pair.

The 10X50, to much motion, the 12X25 same problem and not enough light, the 7x-15 we are considering taking with

which wingspan version?  there seem to be a bunch of 8x32 at the same price point and I am not sure what the difference is!  I am narrowed to the Wingspan Optic Spectator 8x32 vs the Celestron Outland X 8x42. I honestly will use these only for the cruise and excursions, sporting events, and sometimes concerts.  I have a good camera that I will bring as well so i do not want to spend over $100 on binoculars.  Help?!

1 hour ago, GolfMommy17 said:

which wingspan version?  there seem to be a bunch of 8x32 at the same price point and I am not sure what the difference is!  I am narrowed to the Wingspan Optic Spectator 8x32 vs the Celestron Outland X 8x42. I honestly will use these only for the cruise and excursions, sporting events, and sometimes concerts.  I have a good camera that I will bring as well so i do

We decided on the Wingspan Feather ED Lightweight 8x25.    It is waterproof and fogproof, Very light weight at only 12 ounces , wide angle and the ED glass really shows off color.

10 hours ago, GolfMommy17 said:

which wingspan version?  there seem to be a bunch of 8x32 at the same price point and I am not sure what the difference is!  I am narrowed to the Wingspan Optic Spectator 8x32 vs the Celestron Outland X 8x42. I honestly will use these only for the cruise and excursions, sporting events, and sometimes concerts.  I have a good camera that I will bring as well so i do not want to spend over $100 on binoculars.  Help?!

The Spectator is the one we are looking at due to size and weight.

It's also a little less than the Celestron

Edited by blazer58

1 hour ago, blazer58 said:

The Spectator is the one we are looking at due to size and weight.

It's also a little less than the Celestron

thank you.  what specs are you looking at on the spectator?  As i stated in my post i am looking at 8x32 but someone mentioned 8x25.  I want to be sure i am going to see what i want without the motion issues that a 10x or higher afford.  I am starting to understand the mag and the lens diameter, exit pupils, etc.  but not sure how much of an improvement the 32 is over the 25 within the same line of binoculars.  I am also not sure i will get much more from these than using my camera lens which is either my 75-300 if i am walking around or my 70-200 2.8F which will really capture stop-action but is exceptionally heavy, so i will use that while sitting on deck/balcony.  BTW there is only a $5 difference on Amazon between the Celestron Outland X 8x42 and the  Wingspan Optic Stectator 8x32.  Field of view is approx same but the Celestron weighs 7 oz more so i am leaning to the wingspan. I think I will order something and do some home research and figure this out.  so confusing!

Edited by GolfMommy17
content

just ordered 2 different pair from amazon, will return either if they do not fit our needs (they will be here tomorrow )

Wingspan Optics Spectator 8X32 Compact Binoculars

Gosky 8x42 Binoculars for Adults, Compact HD

was curious to this brand as it has an adapter to attach a cell phone. Might be sending back if junk or weight is to much

We tried x32 and x42 models at a store, and could not tell much difference if any  between the two

18 minutes ago, blazer58 said:

just ordered 2 different pair from amazon, will return either if they do not fit our needs (they will be here tomorrow )

Wingspan Optics Spectator 8X32 Compact Binoculars

Gosky 8x42 Binoculars for Adults, Compact HD

was curious to this brand as it has an adapter to attach a cell phone. Might be sending back if junk or weight is to much

We tried x32 and x42 models at a store, and could not tell much difference if any  between the two

I would appreciate to know your thoughts after trying them out!