Santorini

Richbutnot

Getting ready to book our excursions for May. Does anyone know of any Viking or private excursion that doesn't involve taking the cable car back down to the tender dock at the end? That includes any boat tours that leave and return to the tender pier. All the Viking tour descriptions include cable car tickets to get back down, even the ones that start with a drive up the hill on a bus. Trying to avoid standing in line for an hour or more to get back down, and we aren't going to walk the donkey path. There will be three other ships in port that day. Thanks

There were cabs available in the "upper town" a few blocks from the cable car station.  And there were cabs available near the tender dock, so it should be possible to engage a cab to get from one to the other.   Several of the larger hotels had cabs waiting.

2 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

There were cabs available in the "upper town" a few blocks from the cable car station.  And there were cabs available near the tender dock, so it should be possible to engage a cab to get from one to the other.   Several of the larger hotels had cabs waiting.

That will depend on which tender dock used. The one down the front has no roads. There is another one located at the end of the island where the ferries depart but cruise ships don’t use that so much. 

I don't know the answer but I am interested in the question as we will be on Star in Santorini in June.

This is from another source :

Cruise ships anchor in the caldera and large, local tenders are provided to the base of the town of Fira. There are only three ways up to the top: hiking up the donkey path (800 ft elevation, 600 steps, free), taking a donkey up (€8, Aug 2014), or using the cable car (€5, Aug 2014). There are reports that the donkeys are abused and mistreated so keep this in mind when deciding which option to take. The hike up is steep, just avoid the donkey poop and it is not advised if the steps are wet. The cable car line ups going down will be extremely busy, especially if multiple cruises ships are anchored. Tenders for ship tours dock at a pier further south that has road access for the tour buses. Tours typically drop passengers off in Fira afterwards and a complimentary cable car ticket is provided.

Below are two extracts from the Viking shore excursion we are considering:

Make the most of your time on Santorini by visiting all its highlights on one extensive excursion. From the tender pier, drive with your guide to Pyrgos, the island’s former capital.

...  Return to the tender pier at your leisure by cable car using the ticket we have provided.

These extracts would suggest this excursion starts at the ferry terminal (where there is vehicular access) but finishes at the cable car / the base below Fira (no vehicular access).

I'm not sure I have answered the original question - so any further advice / information / suggestions would of course be appreciated - especially from those with recent experience. Regards, LM

Edited by Little Monty
Error

37 minutes ago, Little Monty said:

I don't know the answer but I am interested in the question as we will be on Star in Santorini in June.

This is from another source :

Cruise ships anchor in the caldera and large, local tenders are provided to the base of the town of Fira. There are only three ways up to the top: hiking up the donkey path (800 ft elevation, 600 steps, free), taking a donkey up (€8, Aug 2014), or using the cable car (€5, Aug 2014). There are reports that the donkeys are abused and mistreated so keep this in mind when deciding which option to take. The hike up is steep, just avoid the donkey poop and it is not advised if the steps are wet. The cable car line ups going down will be extremely busy, especially if multiple cruises ships are anchored. Tenders for ship tours dock at a pier further south that has road access for the tour buses. Tours typically drop passengers off in Fira afterwards and a complimentary cable car ticket is provided.

Below are two extracts from the Viking shore excursion we are considering:

Make the most of your time on Santorini by visiting all its highlights on one extensive excursion. From the tender pier, drive with your guide to Pyrgos, the island’s former capital.

...  Return to the tender pier at your leisure by cable car using the ticket we have provided.

These extracts would suggest this excursion starts at the ferry terminal (where there is vehicular access) but finishes at the cable car / the base below Fira (no vehicular access).

I'm not sure I have answered the original question - so any further advice / information / suggestions would of course be appreciated - especially from those with recent experience. Regards, LM

Agree with your summary there. Arrive into the ferry tender area but return via the main tourist area. We stayed in Santorini for a few days. Left via the ferry. We took an excursion on the ship that was a swim near the volcano and a walk up it. Hot and sweaty. Then a boat took us back to the cable car area. Going up was ok but trip down but far too busy so we walked. We refuse to use the donkeys. 

My recollection is Celebrity may have used both landing / departure points on our cruise.  Don't know if that's still the case.

I agree with the suggestion of checking with the cruise line for a definitive answer.  Waiting on the cable car line is not for the faint of heart, especially in the heat.