Booking for Europe 2020?

chubby_faye

We are interested in booking the Greek Isles cruise in June 2020.  Would it be better to book the first day it’s available (we are gold level) or wait and book on our next cruise so we can get the 10% discount.  We are going on our next cruise in September.  

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, chubby_faye said:

We are interested in booking the Greek Isles cruise in June 2020.  Would it be better to book the first day it’s available (we are gold level) or wait and book on our next cruise so we can get the 10% discount.  We are going on our next cruise in September.  

Thoughts?

It's "best" to book on opening day (lowest rates on that day).  Then, when you're on your next cruise, you "reshop" the cruise.  If the prices haven't risen enough to negate the savings for an onboard booking, you can make a new reservation onboard (since discounts/deposit amounts are figured on the price of the cruise at that time).  Once you return home, you cancel the reservation you made on opening day, if you've gotten a better deal doing the onboard booking.

We booked this cruise today.  With DCL having not sailed to Greece in roughly 5 years, my sense is that it could sell out this week (similar to what occurred with the Hawaiian itineraries).  For this reason, as well as those listed above, it would make sense to book when available to gold castaway members.  The one factor that might cause people to back off booking this cruise is costs, not just the cruise fare, but air fare and the like.  Following booking on another site, I notice a few guests deciding, for costs reasons, to go with the 9 night Greek cruise versus the 12 night cruise.   All that aside, these Greek cruises look just outstanding!

Edited by STHCruising

Just got a quote on the 9 day European on 6/22 and also the 6/27 Eastern Carib. The European is more than double the cost. Is that always the case? I've never done a European cruise before. 

I've seen some of the early quotes for the European cruises. 9 day Greek Isles for two adults in a veranda is around $11k! I love Disney, but if I were going to do Europe, I'd look into other cruise lines.

6 hours ago, smheese said:

We are a family of five and our quote was 36k. Ouch! 

Is this for either a (1) concierge stateroom, or (2) for two staterooms?  Looking at a site that posts actual pricing data for the last three days, a stateroom in a category that would allow a family of five, should be around $15k to 16k (category 4 on one of the 9 night Mediterranean cruises).  

On 3/6/2019 at 4:03 PM, STHCruising said:

Is this for either a (1) concierge stateroom, or (2) for two staterooms?  Looking at a site that posts actual pricing data for the last three days, a stateroom in a category that would allow a family of five, should be around $15k to 16k (category 4 on one of the 9 night Mediterranean cruises).  

I don't think it was ever as low as that for a category 4 for 5 people.

The quotes I saw:

2A1K June 13, Cat 4B: $15,784

2A June 13, Cat 4B: $13,790

So about $2,000 for 1 kid.  So add two more kids and that's another $4,000, meaning even platinum opening day pricing was over $20,000 in one verandah for 5.

6 minutes ago, kodesthemoose said:

I don't think it was ever as low as that for a category 4 for 5 people.

The quotes I saw:

2A1K June 13, Cat 4B: $15,784

2A June 13, Cat 4B: $13,790

So about $2,000 for 1 kid.  So add two more kids and that's another $4,000, meaning even platinum opening day pricing was over $20,000 in one verandah for 5.

Sorry, to create confusion.  What I was quoting was for a single stateroom with 2 adults, whereas the original poster had indeed booked two staterooms with 2 adults and 3 children.  If you double my high range, the cost of two staterooms would have been $32k.  The original post, refers to $34k.  The difference is adding the 5th person.  The numbers in your post for 5 people are $20k.   You are correct that if you booked one stateroom for 5 people, the number would be around $20k.  No doubt it is pricey!

We booked through our travel agent opening day. The 12 day for 4 in a verandah was a little over 22000. We were on the last Greece cruise from Venice.   Loved it. We are going on the Norway Iceland cruise this summer. We will see if there is any savings using the 10% discount for onboard booking. My agent did say that when she paid the deposit 2 days after actual booking the price had already gone up 1000. 

We are Gold level and love Disney but almost $17k for a family of 4 is too much of a sticker shock for me.  I am now shopping around for other cruise lines during the same time frame.  I have been on most of the major cruise lines but have only done Disney with the kids.  Kinda nervous.  

On 3/15/2019 at 2:20 PM, chubby_faye said:

We are Gold level and love Disney but almost $17k for a family of 4 is too much of a sticker shock for me.  I am now shopping around for other cruise lines during the same time frame.  I have been on most of the major cruise lines but have only done Disney with the kids.  Kinda nervous.  

We booked with NCL for a similar time frame - longer cruise, more ports, and about 1/3 of the cost.  Sure, it may not be as "magical", but on these port-intensive cruises, I personally don't feel DCL's extra cost is justified. 

On 3/6/2019 at 10:04 AM, gometros said:

I've seen some of the early quotes for the European cruises. 9 day Greek Isles for two adults in a veranda is around $11k! I love Disney, but if I were going to do Europe, I'd look into other cruise lines.

You could do a luxury line for less than that price and have a suite, all tips, beverages and fine dining included! Check out Seabourn cruises in the Med.

• 2 weeks later...