Memphis-Amtrak-New Orlean- NCL Caribbean Cruise

flyingcat8

Has anyone out there done this cruise/trip? what is your experience and tips?

We just booked above holiday with 3 days Memphis, Amtrak, 3 days New Orleans and 7 days NCL Cruise (leaving New Orleans on the 1st Dec).

Appreciate very much your help

Many thanks. 

So let me ask you.  Are you flying into Memphis for three days, then taking Amtrak to New Orleans and spending three days there; then getting on the ship?  

1. Memphis has Graceland(Elvis' Home)

2. Beale Street downtown Memphis.  Lots of jazz clubs and pups.  

3. Rendevous BBQ.  It is in an alley behind the Holiday Inn downtown. Ask anyone and they can direct you to it; World famous

4. Waterfront tour.  I think one of the paddlewheel steamboats does lunch and dinner cruises on the river

5. Sun Records,  This is where Elvis recorded and a lot of other early jazz and rock and roll artists

1. New Orleans you have Bourbon Street

2. Emeril Lagasse Resturant

3. Cafe Du Monde-world famous new orleans donuts and coffee. Their version of a donut is called Beignets(pronouned benyea

Always remember this about Amtrak-schedules are a suggestion & not a goal (partly due to sharing tracks with commercial freight).  So if you do use Amtrak, give yourself a good 6-8 hours arrival time before your scheduled embarkment .  

One positive aspect of Amtrak over flying is lots of legroom & was surprisingly quiet.

Edited by soonernstlouis

2 hours ago, soonernstlouis said:

Always remember this about Amtrak-schedules are a suggestion & not a goal (partly due to sharing tracks with commercial freight).  So if you do use Amtrak, give yourself a good 6-8 hours arrival time before your scheduled embarkment .  

One positive aspect of Amtrak over flying is lots of legroom & was surprisingly quiet.

I think the OP is spending three days in Memphis and New Orleans;  so they can be late getting into New Orleans

12 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I think the OP is spending three days in Memphis and New Orleans;  so they can be late getting into New Orleans

Thanks I saw that.  My post was meant as general guideline & based on my experience using Amtrak.  Also, they may have other activities scheduled on arrival date that may need to be considered tentative.  

Many thanks for your replies. Yes, we fly in Memphis (No direct flight from UK though, have to change once in US). we stay 3 nights in Memphis, then Amtrak to New Orleans. The train is very early indeed at 6:40 am leaving Memphis. then stay in New Orleans for 3 nights. Hence, no embarking time issues in New Orleans. 

Can anyone advise me further 1) is that easy getting a taxi to Memphis Train station that early in the day as we will stay in Sharoton Downdown which is at opposite end of Central Station; 2) Our UK return flight after cruise is at 11:45 am from New Orleans.  NCL is scheduled docking at 7:00 am. Does NCL have a shuttle service transfer passengers in time to airport or if that easy getting a taxi from New Orleans port?

Appreciate very much your advice. 

Yes NCL has shuttle service to airport. You can chack with guest services onboard the ship. There will be taxi’s lined up at port so you can take a cab too.  It is about 20 minutes from port to airport. 

You can arrange for taxi to train station at front desk of hotel. 

Edited by AF-1