Good whale watching tour in Juneau for kids?

Dani24

We’ll be in Juneau in late July with our 7 year old daughter. We’d like to do a whale watching tour. But I do not want to be on one of the big boats offered through the cruise line. It doesn’t need to be a 6 passenger boat, but something around or under two dozen passengers might be good.

Any recommendations for an independent whale watching tour that is on the smaller side, and is a good fit for a child? Harv & Marv, for instance, don’t take kids under 13 unless you book a private boat (which is $$$). 

I don’t know which cruise line you are using, but HAL, Princess, and Celebrity all have a “small group whale watch” or “photography whale watch” or something similar.  Make sure it has “small group”or “exclusive” in the description.

https://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.page?t=A&exType=S&tourCode=JNU-670

I’ve done this excursion five or six times and was never disappointed.  They use what they call a  “safari vessel” where your daughter could get up and walk around, and I think that’s a nicer experience for a 7 year old than being on one of the tiny 6 person boats.  

4 hours ago, Suzanne123 said:

I don’t know which cruise line you are using, but HAL, Princess, and Celebrity all have a “small group whale watch” or “photography whale watch” or something similar.  Make sure it has “small group”or “exclusive” in the description.

https://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.page?t=A&exType=S&tourCode=JNU-670

I’ve done this excursion five or six times and was never disappointed.  They use what they call a  “safari vessel” where your daughter could get up and walk around, and I think that’s a nicer experience for a 7 year old than being on one of the tiny 6 person boats.  

Thank you. We are on Princess, and for whatever reason I had previously overlooked those options. As I was researching last night I came across Gastineau Guiding, who does the small group tours for Princess (and other lines).

The reviews on them were great, and I’m thinking their science/research one might be a lot of fun for my daughter. I mentioned it to her this morning, and she loves the idea of pulling up the crab pot and seeing/cataloging the creatures inside. Plus the other stuff, like seeing the sea lions, and maybe hearing the whales with the microphone onboard, and participating in other science research onboard. 

Plus, lots of the reviews mentioned bringing their kids, and their kids having a blast. I imagine there’s a bit better of a chance of having other kids on board, which would further delight my child. So I think this one might be a winner!

I highly recommend this young lady if you want a personalized whale watching tour, she is the best of the best. Jayleen's Alaska   https://jayleensalaska.com/

On another note, if your going t be going to Tracy Arm I highly recommend the small boat tour off the ship up in Tracy Arm. I believe it's TA1-660 | Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska (Scenic Cruising) it well worth the price of the tour, gets you a lot closer to the glacier than the cruise will.