Kids in separate room

rlindholm

We are traveling with our 2 boys, ages 17 and 12.  We booked a balcony and an interior room directly across from us for the kids. For the actual booking, we had to assign an adult to each state room.  At what point we let them know who will actually be staying in each room?  Or do we just leave it as is and ask for extra keys at check in?

Did you book directly with Carnival and/or use a PVP? Our boys stay in an interior across the hall from us, ages 7 & 15. Our PVP always puts them in their own cabin and us in our cabin. Never had to split up the adults like that for the booking. 

21 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

Did you book directly with Carnival and/or use a PVP? Our boys stay in an interior across the hall from us, ages 7 & 15. Our PVP always puts them in their own cabin and us in our cabin. Never had to split up the adults like that for the booking. 

Same. We booked a balcony and interior and our pvp assigned the kids to their own room.

1 hour ago, rlindholm said:

Booked with a TA.  She said she had to assign it that way.  Is it worth calling carnival to change the assignments or just let it be and get extra keys?

If you use a TA then you have to go through them for everything. Carnival won't deal with you. 

On 3/3/2019 at 11:56 AM, rlindholm said:

Booked with a TA.  She said she had to assign it that way.  Is it worth calling carnival to change the assignments or just let it be and get extra keys?

I would leave the assignment be and get room cards once on board.  A possible advantage of the adults being booked in separate staterooms is if one (but only one) of you wanted the Cheers package.  If you were in the same cabin you would both need to purchase Cheers or both buy drinks a la carte.  With the separate cabin arrangement the heavier drinker can get Cheers and the light/non-drinker can pay as they go for any specialty drinks.

4 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I would leave the assignment be and get room cards once on board.  A possible advantage of the adults being booked in separate staterooms is if one (but only one) of you wanted the Cheers package.  If you were in the same cabin you would both need to purchase Cheers or both buy drinks a la carte.  With the separate cabin arrangement the heavier drinker can get Cheers and the light/non-drinker can pay as they go for any specialty drinks.

This is our situation. We have adjoining rooms on our next cruise, with one adult in each room. Last cruise we both got cheers, but it was absolutely not worth it for him (only drinks beer) and questionable for me. We thought if we split up, we could have more time to make the decision. We will get extra keys when we board. 

On 3/3/2019 at 11:56 AM, rlindholm said:

This is one of the problems with booking with a TA.  You have to deal through the TA (not Carnival) and she was wrong, they did not have to be assigned that way (google Carnival Minor Policy for the rules).  Chances are, it was just too much trouble for her.

You can just stop by Guest Services when you board.  You will be able to get everything switched around there.

One good thing, though, is if only one of you wants to purchase Cheers, you are good to go on that front 🙂  Happy sailing!

On 3/3/2019 at 10:56 AM, rlindholm said:

I am an agent and I just booked a family of similar ages and put the adults in the first cabin together and the kids in the 2nd cabin. I have done the same on many occasions, including with our own family. I have done this both online and over the phone with Carnival on various occasions. Your youngest is 12 and the rule for 12's is next door or directly across the hall, which it seems your cabins comply with. At 13 you can put a couple cabins in between.

At this point if you ask your agent to move people around it will require a phone call . To be honest, if I was in your shoes I would just leave it alone and grab an extra key. You will want to have a key to your kids cabin anyway. I would at a minumum let your agent know about this for the future. Maybe they are new and don't have a good understanding of the policy and they can use this to improve their services.

• Like 1