trabsportation to Cruise port from FCO

Lil Pups

HI.  We are doing our first Transatlantic crossing on the Koningsdam on 10/31.  Our hotel is less than a mile from the port.  Does anyone know the approximate cost of a taxi to that location?  I contacted the hotel who can arrange transportation for us .  Their price is 130 Euros.  Just want to know if that is in the ballpark of a fair rate or should I look at other options.  Again, been on many cruises but this is the first repositioning and we're kind of in the dark.  Thanks for your help

I have been researching this as well as I am on the Rotterdam sailing out Nov. 2.  The lowest quote I've found so far for a private transfer is 120 euros from FCO to a Civitavecchia hotel and these quotes were from Sun Transfers and Welcome Pickups.  There are some shared shuttles available for less.

Hi Lil Pups, we sailed many times in/out there and yes, that is the price. it is not the distance that depicts the price: private taxis are costly in Italy and not all taxi companies are allowed to stop litterally next to the ship (in the port), as this requires a special lisence drivers need to purchase on a yearly basis, hence the price looks 'dear' but you receive the best service. There are free shuttles taking passengers from the ship into a general dropp off area as you are not allowed to walk through the port and from there you can take alternative transport, but with also taking your luggage I do not reccommend it. Also local taxis will charge high prices as they do not want to 'accept' driving you for a short distance.

We have also used shared shuttle taxis to the airport once we arrived in port going the airport. They were less expensive but you are going to a hotel so you will require a tailor-made trip.

Edited by MobyandDick
spelling mistake

If you want to spend some time in Rome you could take the train from the port to Rome about 7 euros  check your luggage in luggage hold  spend the day then that the express train to the Rome airport 15 euros..  You will need to be able to handle your own luggage.  I did this in reverse last  year spending the night in Rome not too  hard and I speak no Italian.      

Hi Lil Pups -- are you not allowing any time to sightsee in Rome?  If so, it's a shame as there is so much there to see and do that I normally recommend to friends to allow 3 days there (2 at a minimum) before leaving on a cruise. The port is located an hour from Rome, so basing yourself there makes it difficult....

At any rate, the cost your hotel is quoting you is reasonable for a private transfer.  However, you can book reliable shared shuttles for as little as 70 euro per couple, the only significant disadvantage is that you may have to share a minivan with others and due to airport timings that may mean you have a short wait before getting underway. One company I have used for myself and for various other relatives is romashuttle.com

Although this doesn't concern your specific question, I wanted to correct some misinformation upthread. The majority of private car operators and taxis CAN access the port if they are dropping off passengers or have a confirmed reservation for a pick-up. (They cannot just go in a wait for a random fare, however.)

We have used       www.transferitalyrome.com

Antonio Cagnoli and son

We had them pick us up at the train station in Rome  and take us to Civitavecchia to our hotel.  They were very pleasant to work with, answering emails promptly and checking in with us just prior to our pickup. About the same price.

Cristiano came in to the station and met us at the platform. Looked after our luggage. He delivered us to our B&B, and we were very happy he knew where it was, as we would have  had trouble finding it.  And he hauled our suitcases up the flight of stairs.

Civitavecchia has a pretty little port area with restaurants and stores where you can pick up wine to take on board.

The trip is possible to do by train, but be aware that there is no elevator at the Civitavecchia train station. We had to haul suitcases down the stairs, under the tracks, and back up the stairs.

Have a fantastic cruise.