MS Nordlys June 2019

Reisefreude

Very broad question and few facts like which ship and cabin class.

First Hurtigruten is not like  Azamara and all Hurtigruten ships are very different.

You can find a lot of   Hurtigruten answers in this forum and in this topic in particular 

I have posted two reviews where you can get more details and then please ask your more specific questions.

Mid Night Sun Cruise in June

Northern lights cruise during January

Assume you will be on the MS Nordlys, as that is the ship scheduled to leave Bergen on the 11 day RT Norwegian Coast Voyage on June 28, 2019. 

The MS Nordlys was built in 1994, but is scheduled for refurbishment in May 2019. This makes it one of the older ships on this route. It does have a one story observation lounge (The Explorer Lounge) which is not as spacious nor with the 2 story windows found in the newer ships like the more recently built ships such as the MS Trollfjord (2002), MS Finnmarken (2002), or MS Midnatsol (2003) which have the 2 story Panorama Lounge.

What specific questions do you have about this trip? I hope you have reviewed the extensive information already available on this forum.

It would be easier to help if you had specific questions to ask. The reviews, too, might help to give information and there's photos to see as well..

Your avatar sounds German, by the way. If you speak that language there is a very informative German cruiseforum with avid Hurtig lovers and extensive information about each of the ships in the fleet etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Arlene -  I am taking the train from Oslo on June 28th.  Just started to look at excursions.  I booked through my

brother's TA in Germany.  Seems there are some deals if you purchase 3 or 6 excursions you get a ship credit.

I too am a solo traveler and look forward to meeting you.

Sylvia

On 3/9/2019 at 3:01 AM, grayjay said:

It would be easier to help if you had specific questions to ask. The reviews, too, might help to give information and there's photos to see as well..

Your avatar sounds German, by the way. If you speak that language there is a very informative German cruiseforum with avid Hurtig lovers and extensive information about each of the ships in the fleet etc.

Grayjay - Yes I am totally bilingual.  Can you please tell me where to find the German cruiseforum.  This voyage seems to require

more research than the average cruise I have taken.   Danke Schoen und Thanks!

Sylvia

On 3/31/2019 at 11:19 PM, Reisefreude said:

Hi Arlene -  I am taking the train from Oslo on June 28th.  Just started to look at excursions.  I booked through my

brother's TA in Germany.  Seems there are some deals if you purchase 3 or 6 excursions you get a ship credit.

I too am a solo traveler and look forward to meeting you.

Sylvia

Grayjay - Yes I am totally bilingual.  Can you please tell me where to find the German cruiseforum.  This voyage seems to require

more research than the average cruise I have taken.   Danke Schoen und Thanks!

Sylvia

Hi Sylvia,

Sarnia was faster in her answer! But I might be excused in not answering earlier because we just came back from a wonderful Hurtigruten voyage, great even if we saw the sun only for 3 days out of 12, had high seas and storm for days on end and saw not a speck of northern lights... But there also was glittering snow on the mountains and the lovely scenery besides exceptional food, good lectures etc.!  So  we're sure to be back on board some day ! My husband favours another winter cruise, I think I'd prefer spring or early fall, though... Well, let's see! And yes, that's the forum I meant.

Have a great time on Nordlys. We passed her on her way south and waved to her!

• 1 month later...

Don't worry, it will be really easy to meet and find people to talk to on board. There's always a mix of passengers from different countries from Australia to British and the US up to Germans ( you wrote you're bilingual) and French and yes, of course Norwegians and other Scandinavian citizens, most of whom are quite fluent in English .You'll be able to chat to people during meals at the buffets or at the table ( depending where you sit but most of the time there's a table right next to you) in the lovely Multe Café , the bar ..... I don't think, though, that there really will be a roll call on this board for this special sailing.

And enjoy your renovated ship - I'm sure she'll be lovely. We liked the modern Scandinavian style on Richard With.

And don't think of the weather too much, as it unpredictable- if you're lucky you'll have sunny days and the midnight sun, the first strawberries in the south and tulips and spring flowers in the north. Don't forget to bring enough layers - a cashmere sweater will come in handy as well as a fleece jacket or vest and a rainproof jacket. I even bring a hat - we always have had t-shirt days and sweater days  and rainy or foggy and once even snowy days even in June. Haven't been to Norway in July, yet - but we'll perhaps meet you.... We're booked on Azamara Journey....

Have a great trip!

Hi - Thanks for your nice note.  I am sure I'll meet plenty of nice people.  Living in the western U.S. desert, I'll think

I have hats, gloves and scarves somewhere, just haven't needed them for 17 years.  It will just be a different type of

cruising I am used to.  Did look at Azamara's Journey Norway cruise last year, but it was sold out immediately.

My last 7 cruises were on the Journey, including 4 back-to-backs on their 2018 around the world cruise.

You'll enjoy Captain Johannes, who is so proud of his "Vaterland" Norway, Heike- the German Hotel Director and

Erik the 6 foot 6 Canadian Cruise Director.  Great ship - great officers -  great crew!  You'll have fun.  

Already booked back on Azamara in the Spring of 2020.

Reisefreude

Yes, we'll love to be back on the "Journey" - it's our fourth ( or so) cruise on her. And Captain Johannes and Heike are lovely people. We're very much looking forward to meeting them again. "Giant" Eric is on vacation, though, and I'll miss his personalitry and grandfather jokes, even if he tends to repeat them...

We'll meet Nordnorge several times during our journey and we hope we can slip over to have some coffee in the Multe Café, but Nordlys and the Journey won't meet in port - but I'll wave if we should see you somewhere passing us!

Again: Have a great trip!