Maiden cruise of MSC Bellissima

little britain

1 minute ago, Astro said:

Would you be able to take a picture of the Yacht Club Restaurant.  I heard someone say he only saw large tables for (10 seats) in that restaurant.  We prefer the smaller tables for our family of six.

That would surprise me to the extent that I cannot believe it would be the case. The vast majority are 2 tops, then 4 and 6 on Meraviglia and Preziosa.

7 minutes ago, hamrag said:

I would agree in terms of restaurant location, although in the Caribbean it was no problem walking on open decks to the opposite end of ship....also burned a few calories!

Meraviglia restaurant was very good.....Preziosa was superb, not sure the Caribbean region equates to better menus compared to Europe.

I just don't remember stand-out meals in YC on Preziosa (though it's been some time since we were there).

We've never minded the walk to the restaurant on Fantasia-class ships;  but having it within YC just changed the experience for us.  Also, it was so easy to run back to the cabin if I forgot something.  Another plus (that the ladies will relate to) was not having to walk the length of the ship in heels when dressed for dinner!  :classic_biggrin:

10 minutes ago, hamrag said:

That would surprise me to the extent that I cannot believe it would be the case. The vast majority are 2 tops, then 4 and 6 on Meraviglia and Preziosa.

Thank you hamrag.  I hope so.  The two short video clips I've seen showed the larger tables but I sure hope some are smaller tables.

3 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

I just don't remember stand-out meals in YC on Preziosa (though it's been some time since we were there).

We've never minded the walk to the restaurant on Fantasia-class ships;  but having it within YC just changed the experience for us.  Also, it was so easy to run back to the cabin if I forgot something.  Another plus (that the ladies will relate to) was not having to walk the length of the ship in heels when dressed for dinner!  :classic_biggrin:

The Preziosa has a relatively new restaurant manager, previously Seaview(side) by all accounts. He is superb, and the guy on Meraviglia was meh! That can make a huge difference to the total restaurant experience.

All my shoes have heels, and I didn't have any problem!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Astro said:

Thank you hamrag.  I hope so.  The two short video clips I've seen showed the larger tables but I sure hope some are smaller tables.

I think that was the same for the first videos from Meraviglia (IIRC).  It could be that they had large groups of travel agents, bloggers, etc, onboard before the inaugural sailing and seated them at large tables to dine.

Not sure I'm allowed to share this on CC but here's a ton of photos of Bellissima at Naming Ceremony.

Pics of cabins, YC lounge, pools and much more.

Hope this link will work!

https://www.liveboat.it/forum/11233-consegna-ufficiale-msc-bellissima-2.html?fbclid=IwAR1DRZQ-qrLl4KaE95niHtQJzCd3zz9nt7YcjSLjAM_fm5AiXMUuuENXC1E

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Astro said:

Would you be able to take a picture of the Yacht Club Restaurant.  I heard someone say he only saw large tables for (10 seats) in that restaurant.  We prefer the smaller tables for our family of six.

There are all sizes from 2 seats upwards.  A table for 6 will not be an issue. 

13 hours ago, Captain-John said:

Lovely. Just lovely. We are in Lisbon on Preziosa in October (first time). How close is the dock to the main attractions?

As I say I know of people sailing Bellissima on the 05/04 sailing from Barcelona. They're in an Aurea angled balcony. I'd be interested in their thoughts as they were sailing with us on Preziosa in 2014 and sail just as often as us on various other lines.

You literally walk across the street and then start walking up the hill into the Alfama district. A maze of little streets shops and restaurants. 

Otherwuse you turn left and walk along the front for 10 minutes and you are at the main square

A01C866A-E4A7-4BE8-B731-F834724C37BD.jpeg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hamrag said:

Having sailed Meraviglia YC a few months ago, and Preziosa last month, these are comments I agree with and support 100%. There is also a YC reserved area in the show lounge on Preziosa, which Meraviglia does not offer. The YC restaurant menus and service on Preziosa are superior. 

The only area in which Meraviglia beats Preziosa is in the thermal spa, which is amazing.....Preziosa is still very good, but M is stunning!  

I'm completely spoiled by thermal spa areas after being on NCL's -away class. Those are the best areas I've experienced so far over 6 cruise lines and a few dozen cruises. Very much looking forward to Meraviglia's thermal area. I find it a startling ommission that there is no 'hydro' element to the thermal area on Preziosa - even on an older ship like Orchestra, there were 3 hot tubs within the complex.

I've actually (sadly) worked out a 'circuit' based on the deck plans so I can steam and sauna, then head up in the lift directly to the YC pool deck to get the jacuzzi/pool element. Still dripping wet, I intend to head back down to the thermal area to steam again - and so the cycle goes. Would have been so much easier if it were all contained! I know there's the indoor pool area just outside the spa but it looks like people soup in all the videos I've seen of that area so would prefer the tranquility of the YC.

2 hours ago, little britain said:

Our peace has been shattered! Seems like 1000 kids got on in Lisbon today. Ship has a totally different feel about it already 😬 

Oh dear! Wonder if it's some kind of European school holidays?

6 hours ago, little britain said:

Our peace has been shattered! Seems like 1000 kids got on in Lisbon today. Ship has a totally different feel about it already 😬 

Thank you for your wonderful review. Really enjoying it. We are Aussies cruising on Bellissimo, Genoa to Dubai in November so are hoping that the ‘bugs’ will all have been sorted out & the crew will all be up to speed on the ship/menus etc by then.

This is our first MSC cruise. We expect that out status match  will get us Black or Gold and have a Balcony Fantastica atm (hoping an Aurea Balcony becomes available).  We are yet to decide on the type of drink package. Would you mind taking some pics of other drink prices around the ship? We aren’t huge drinkers but we are leaning towards the Premium package as the cost of up to 10 Euros per drink is a fair comparison to what we pay for a drink over here. I know you are in YC but if you are able to take pics of an MDR menu, that would be great. Could you also confirm whether the non-YC solarium area is a non-fee area as I have read on other Meraviglia reviews that it is a fee based area. We usually spend a lot of time in the adult only solarium area regardless of the ship we are on.

Any hints and tips for first time MSC cruisers? We have cruised P&O, Carnival (never again) and Royal (our preferred of the lines that operate out of Australia).

Lastly, we drink LOTS of water. Is it correct that on MSC that the only self serve water available is in the buffet and that water is not served with meals unless you order and pay for it? 

Thanking you you in advance for your help with this info and looking forward to the rest of your review.

Edited by rosaree
Inserted info I had forgotten

1 hour ago, rosaree said:

Thank you for your wonderful review. Really enjoying it. We are Aussies cruising on Bellissimo, Genoa to Dubai in November so are hoping that the ‘bugs’ will all have been sorted out & the crew will all be up to speed on the ship/menus etc by then.

This is our first MSC cruise. We expect that out status match  will get us Black or Gold and have a Balcony Fantastica atm (hoping an Aurea Balcony becomes available).  We are yet to decide on the type of drink package. Would you mind taking some pics of other drink prices around the ship? We aren’t huge drinkers but we are leaning towards the Premium package as the cost of up to 10 Euros per drink is a fair comparison to what we pay for a drink over here. I know you are in YC but if you are able to take pics of an MDR menu, that would be great. Could you also confirm whether the non-YC solarium area is a non-fee area as I have read on other Meraviglia reviews that it is a fee based area. We usually spend a lot of time in the adult only solarium area regardless of the ship we are on.

Any hints and tips for first time MSC cruisers? We have cruised P&O, Carnival (never again) and Royal (our preferred of the lines that operate out of Australia).

Lastly, we drink LOTS of water. Is it correct that on MSC that the only self serve water available is in the buffet and that water is not served with meals unless you order and pay for it? 

Thanking you you in advance for your help with this info and looking forward to the rest of your review.

One other thing that I meant to ask, our TA has mentioned that there may be some Fantastica Suites available but the only inf9 that MSC has been able to provide is that they are slightly larger than a Fabtsatic Balcony and possibly ha e 12 drink vouchers. looking at the legend o the deck plans it looks as if they may one of the family cabins at the rear of the ship perhaps? Any ideas/info on these?

Menu disconnected 

So I was singing the praises of the on board app and the ability to view the daily menu.   Tonight we went to the dining room in  anticipation of fish and chips.....to be presented with a very different menu.   

So I selected the meat cannelloni.... and received the spinach cannelloni from the Fish and chip menu...... confused!

It is not possible to put “ any old card” into the slot to make the electricity work... this trick works on other Cruiselines 

Zoe is still telling me to go to Guest Relations, or  how to book a future-cruise, but refuses to tell me the time.

Entertainment continues to be poor... they put on their mini opera Carmen at 4pm on the sunny afternoon sea day... and the evening headline was some one doing shadow puppet with his hands in front of a torch...... go figure.

Still nothing “special” about the cruise... no water boats as we left Lisbon... still no commemorative gifts for being the first

passengers.... not even a key ring....

The very first guests to inter-port in Lisbon did not get welcomed with a glass  of champagne either.

LB 

70DD92B2-7B24-49A0-9111-4D226F7C2AEF.jpeg

CCD1582A-E2BE-48AA-8262-846898EB7C14.jpeg

On 3/9/2019 at 11:03 PM, rosaree said:

Hi, the Premium package covers pretty much all your drinking needs ( and is responsible for my “head” this morning!!!!

The Solarium is a great area, no fee and some comfy seating ( this ship has the most uncomfortable furniture I have ever seen!)

4282579D-C6E3-4F1E-9621-D431E96FB3F2.jpeg

69E5954D-8E1E-4938-B063-E27C2618F841.jpeg

Ref. the tables in the Yacht Club dining room. In the shots from the launch weekend there are large tables and chairs which have been relocated from the aft main dining room. The YC will have the same padded armchairs that are on Meraviglia in 2 upwards configuration.