Ferry to Hamilton

ranchette

$5 cash fare or $4.50 for a token you can purchase at the Visitors Information centers.

There are also single and multi day passes for the ferry and bus system that you can buy. They can be a good buy if you're making multiple ferry or bus trips.

Also ticket books, but they're not sold at the Dockyard.

Just now, njhorseman said:

You can pay $5 when you board but unless you're running late why not stop and get a token for $4.50 ? 

In case we have limited time after the ship docks to catch the next ferry.  We'll be on Grandeur, which has very short hours in port.

21 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I did say "unless you're running late" :classic_wink:

Running late isn't quite the same thing as not having much time.  Semantics. :classic_smile:

Speaking of time, why is it taking so long for our posts to save today?  Is CC having issues again?

Edited by CruisinCrow

Is the spring ferry schedule available yet?

The summer schedule is not out yet. Usually it is not available until the week before the cruise season starts. That would be in mid April if they follow their past practice.

Ferry and bus schedules are a dance between the government and the unions there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

The summer schedule is not out yet. Usually it is not available until the week before the cruise season starts. That would be in mid April if they follow their past practice.

Ferry and bus schedules are a dance between the government and the unions there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just read today that the government and union have finally reached agreement on a new permanent bus schedule . It will be published shortly here: https://www.gov.bm/bus

I just read today that the government and union have finally reached agreement on a new permanent bus schedule . It will be published shortly here: https://www.gov.bm/bus 

The way I read it they are solving their bus shortage problem which resulted in bus cancellations by reducing the frequency of buses. They will operate 50 buses and they will be 30 minutes apart. Buses on the #7 could be more crowded. According to the Bernews the difference between the winter schedule and summer is having school runs in the winter. March 18 is the date the new schedule goes into effect. Probably will but given that the date has been moved back a few times already we shall see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Duffys wife 1957 said:

Unfortunately some of the information there is out of date and inaccurate, particularly regarding ferry service.

For example "Cash is not accepted".

Cash most certainly is accepted and the ferry schedule even states what the cash fare is for the various routes.

Another inaccuracy: "The orange route only operates in the summer, and it stops at the Royal Naval Dockyard before continuing on to the Town of St. George. "

Yes, this route only operates in the summer but the the description references an older version of this route not used for many years, where the ferry ran from Hamilton to the Royal Naval Dockyard to St. George. The current route runs only between Dockyard and St. George and does not originate or end in Hamilton with the exception of one morning run where a blue route ferry that goes from Hamilton to Dockyard then becomes the first orange route ferry of the day that subsequently runs back and forth strictly between Dockyard and St. George for the remainder of the day.

Another inaccuracy: "The blue route stops at the Royal Naval Dockyard, Watford Bridge and Cavello Bay, all in Sandys Parish on the west end of the island."

For many years now  blue route service is run between Hamilton and Dockyard and doesn't serve Watford Bridge and Cavello Bay, which are actually serviced by the green route.

A couple of other minor items: The bus schedule was just update in March, 2019, not April, 2016 as stated, and the St. George ferry dock is no longer at Water and King St.. it's now located near Penno's Wharf.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iheartbda said:

Yikes, njhorseman! It’s been a few years since I’ve been to Bermuda but knew the bus and ferry routes by heart. So much has changed that I need to do some serious studying for my cruise in May.😱

Wow...haven't seen you here in ages! Hope you're doing well. We still cruise to Bermuda every year. This year we're on the Norwegian Escape, arriving in Bermuda on October 9.

Glad to hear you're coming back to Bermuda this year.

Funny...I just took a look this morning at the picture of St. George's that you gave to everyone attending the Meet and Greet you organized on the Norwegian Majesty way back in 2009 (yikes I'm getting old)! You must have sensed it somehow...so you posted here as a result. :classic_smile:

Edited by njhorseman

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Wow...haven't seen you here in ages! Hope you're doing well. We still cruise to Bermuda every year. This year we're on the Norwegian Escape, arriving in Bermuda on October 9.

Funny...I just took a look this morning at the picture of St. George's that you gave to everyone attending the Meet and Greet you organized on the Norwegian Majesty way back in 2009 (yikes I'm getting old)! You must have sensed it somehow...so you posted here as a result. :classic_smile:

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

NJH, it’s been so long that I don’t even know how to quote and reply on my phone and not sure if this correct.

Sept./Oct. is my favorite time to go but I’m limited this year. Taking our granddaughter on her first cruise and it needed to be after she was finished with school but before she started a summer job. She is about the same age as I was when I went to Bermuda for the first time. Celebrity worked and I’m happy to be back on my favorite line.

I was on the Escape 1/18, nice ship even though huge ships are not my favorite. Went in RCCL Harmony of the Seas 1/19, again, nice ship but too big for me. Celebrity Summit is a bit more manageable, it’s just gone thru a total refurbishment and we have an Aqua Class cabin.

1 hour ago, iheartbda said:

NJH, it’s been so long that I don’t even know how to quote and reply on my phone and not sure if this correct.

Sept./Oct. is my favorite time to go but I’m limited this year. Taking our granddaughter on her first cruise and it needed to be after she was finished with school but before she started a summer job. She is about the same age as I was when I went to Bermuda for the first time. Celebrity worked and I’m happy to be back on my favorite line.

I was on the Escape 1/18, nice ship even though huge ships are not my favorite. Went in RCCL Harmony of the Seas 1/19, again, nice ship but too big for me. Celebrity Summit is a bit more manageable, it’s just gone thru a total refurbishment and we have an Aqua Class cabin.

Your reply worked this time. 

I'm not a fan of the big ships either but other commitments during the summer usually prevent us from cruising to Bermuda earlier than mid to late September and by that time the Summit is no longer doing Bermuda cruises, so for the past few years we've swallowed hard and taken the large NCL ships, Breakaway and now Escape.

Great choice of a first cruise for your granddaughter, but I wouldn't expect anything else from you! Our first cruise, as well as our son's, was to Bermuda on the Royal Viking Star more than 30 years ago.