Le Havre to Paris roundtrip by train?????

jka

Greetings savvy cruisers,

We're in port for 14 hours in June and would really like to get to Paris.  That said, we're not interested in the cruise line tours (which are rated 1 star!), can't find a transportation company to pick us up and bring us back so we're thinking about the train.  Would love to hear from others who have used the train to get in and out of Paris in one day from Le Havre.  Suggestions, things to know and things you wish you knew before you traveled.  

Many thanks,

Nancy

• Like 1

It's doable, but you won't have a lot of time in Paris if you go as the train from Le Havre to Paris can take anywhere from 2 hours and 40 minutes to 3 and a half hours, depending on what train you choose. 

The SNCF website (which does have an English option) allows you to look at the train schedule for each day and to reserve tickets online so you can see what the train schedule is like on that day you're wanting to travel. 

For example, if you were to leave on Saturday, June 6 and you took the 9:14 am train from Le Havre, you'd be in Paris by 12:12. Assuming that you got in port at 8 am and your cruise is leaving at 10 pm, the absolute last train you could take would be the one leaving at 5:10 pm from Paris and arriving in Le Havre at 7:57 pm. That means that you'd have 5 hours in Paris. Of course, this can vary based on the train schedule of the day and if it lines up well with your ship's arrival and departure, but on average, you would have 4 to 6 hours in Paris. 

From the cruise terminal to the train station in Le Havre, it is a 30 minute walk, or you could perhaps take a taxi there in 15 minutes, so it's not too far at all. From Saint Lazare in Paris, you can take the metro to your destination of choice. If I were you, I would choose one or two key destinations within Paris to target. A destination like Versailles would be too far.

For example, you could do a trip to the Notre Dame Cathedral, a walk by the Seine, and shopping/a quick meal in the Latin Quarter (the neighbourhood in which Notre Dame is in). Or, you could go to the Eiffel Tower, walk by the Seine, and visit the Trocadéro. You could even try to squeeze in both, but it'd certainly be tight, as it takes approx 25 minutes to travel from the Latin Quarter to the Eiffel Tower. Of course, you would need to factor in transport time - approx 25 minutes by metro to the train station (one way), plus getting back to the train station at least 10 minutes before your train is scheduled to leave.

It's definitely doable but you should go in with a plan beforehand and watch your time very carefully. 5 hours in Paris isn't a lot, but if you really want to go, it will be a very fun (and busy) day!

Edited by simplyrubies

Let me start by saying the Paris is DW's favorite city in the world :).  That being said, going there from Le Havre on a normal port day is not something we relish.   So lets talk about the process and issues.  You will first need to get from your port to the Le Havre train station.  Assuming you do not want to make the 45-60 min walk (depending on your  own speed) you will need a taxi.  Many of the available taxis will refuse the short haul, but you can usually find one that will take folks (they often will fill the taxi so you can share).  Once at the station you must wait for your train and there is usually about 1 per hour during peak hours.  There are substantial ticket discounts for seniors (60+) so if you are in that category you can at least ask :).  Even the fast Intercity trains take a little over 2 hours to make the run.   Once in Paris at the Gare Saint-Lazare you are likely going to need to change to the metro or RER (depending on your destination) of go outside and find a taxi or bus.  

But at this point you will likely have already used at least 3 hours of your precious port time.   And keep in mind that you must plan your return train with some margin for delays....and the time it can take to get a taxi from the train station back to your port.  

If you are willing to accept all of this, then by all means make it happen :).   Once in Paris you would want to have some kind of plan where you want to go and the best way to get there...be it the Metro, HoHo bus, and/or your feet.  Understand that you cannot see it or do it all in a day, or even 2 weeks :).  You need to prioritize and since we all have our own idea of what is important this is a personal thing.  

My advice is that if Le Havre is your last stop or near last stop on your cruise, you make arrangements to disembark at that port (most cruise lines will allow you to arrange for early disembarkation) and then you can go to Paris for perhaps a week (this opens up a world of furnished apartment rentals).  If you are like us, after a week in Paris you will be sorry you did not plan a month in Paris :).

Hank

We took a cruise in 2012 that stopped in Le Harve.  We, along with our friends, wanted to go to Paris for the day and after some careful planning this is what we did (from the trip log of our cruise):

Today we booked a ship's tour – Paris on Your Own. Basically we paid for a bus to take us from the ship into Paris and get us back in time before the ship sailed. We had a very early breakfast in the buffet, and went to the ship's theater to await our tour group being called. The trip into Paris was uneventful and took about three hours. The scenery along the way was nice. Arriving in Paris we rode down the Champs Elysee, past the Arc de Triomphe and were let off near the Place de la Concorde. Luckily, we quickly found a taxi that would transport four people (many taxis won't) and we rode to Notre Dame Cathedral. We walked around the outside, taking pictures as we went. On the north side of the Cathedral under the rose window is a sidewalk cafe we discovered on the Internet called La Rosace. We ate lunch there, a ham and cheese sandwich for us and crêpes for our friends. We took advantage of their free restroom. After lunch we got in the long but fast moving queue to visit the inside of this vast church. In spite of the wall-to-wall people we were able to take a few pictures and admire the architecture. Leaving the church, we walked past the flower market and in front of St. Chapelle. We then crossed the Seine River and started walking along the river towards our bus pick-up point. Karen was able to purchase an oil painting of the Arc de Triomphe along the way. When we came to the Louvre, we walked through a large archway into a courtyard. A second archway took us to the famous glass pyramid. Lots of photos were taken. We continued on through the Tuileries Gardens and around the Place de la Concorde. It was time to return to the pick-up point for our return to the ship. On the way back we drove past the Eiffel Tower, which we had only seen from a distance, so we had a great photo opportunity. Traffic was a bit heavy as we rode back to Le Havre and got worse as we neared the ship. Finally we were there, and quickly made our way to the dining room for our “last supper”.

Not the best way to " see Paris" but thinking we may never get there again we at least got a taste of it.  Turns out we are taking the same cruise in May but we are planning to go someplace else rather then Paris.  Our plans could change and maybe we will do the ship tour again.....who knows :classic_biggrin:.

<<<Karen>>> 

• Like 1

jka-

Of all the options discussed above for a day trip, the one that makes the  most sense is a "Paris on Your Own" ship transportation.  That is basically the "transportation company to pick us up and bring us back" you were looking for.  Using trains, taxis, metro, etc. will take 7 to 8 hours out of your day and way more aggravation than you might be willing to handle. 

If you have not bought your airline tickets yet, consider the (best) option of disembarking in Le Havre, spending a few days in Paris and flying back home from there. 

4 hours ago, marazul said:

jka-

Of all the options discussed above for a day trip, the one that makes the  most sense is a "Paris on Your Own" ship transportation.  That is basically the "transportation company to pick us up and bring us back" you were looking for.  Using trains, taxis, metro, etc. will take 7 to 8 hours out of your day and way more aggravation than you might be willing to handle. 

If you have not bought your airline tickets yet, consider the (best) option of disembarking in Le Havre, spending a few days in Paris and flying back home from there. 

I would take either of these options.  The 'on your own' option is worth it just for the stress and time it saves.  Paris has more to offer than can be experienced in a 3 hour visit so I am sure that if you can spend a few days you will think that  it was a good plan.  

On 3/9/2019 at 7:13 AM, simplyrubies said:

It's doable, but you won't have a lot of time in Paris if you go as the train from Le Havre to Paris can take anywhere from 2 hours and 40 minutes to 3 and a half hours, depending on what train you choose. 

The SNCF website (which does have an English option) allows you to look at the train schedule for each day and to reserve tickets online so you can see what the train schedule is like on that day you're wanting to travel. 

For example, if you were to leave on Saturday, June 6 and you took the 9:14 am train from Le Havre, you'd be in Paris by 12:12. Assuming that you got in port at 8 am and your cruise is leaving at 10 pm, the absolute last train you could take would be the one leaving at 5:10 pm from Paris and arriving in Le Havre at 7:57 pm. That means that you'd have 5 hours in Paris. Of course, this can vary based on the train schedule of the day and if it lines up well with your ship's arrival and departure, but on average, you would have 4 to 6 hours in Paris. 

From the cruise terminal to the train station in Le Havre, it is a 30 minute walk, or you could perhaps take a taxi there in 15 minutes, so it's not too far at all. From Saint Lazare in Paris, you can take the metro to your destination of choice. If I were you, I would choose one or two key destinations within Paris to target. A destination like Versailles would be too far.

For example, you could do a trip to the Notre Dame Cathedral, a walk by the Seine, and shopping/a quick meal in the Latin Quarter (the neighbourhood in which Notre Dame is in). Or, you could go to the Eiffel Tower, walk by the Seine, and visit the Trocadéro. You could even try to squeeze in both, but it'd certainly be tight, as it takes approx 25 minutes to travel from the Latin Quarter to the Eiffel Tower. Of course, you would need to factor in transport time - approx 25 minutes by metro to the train station (one way), plus getting back to the train station at least 10 minutes before your train is scheduled to leave.

It's definitely doable but you should go in with a plan beforehand and watch your time very carefully. 5 hours in Paris isn't a lot, but if you really want to go, it will be a very fun (and busy) day!

I just wanted to thank you for this info. WE WILL BE IN Le HARVE ON 6/22 and overnight not departing until 12:00 6/23. We are considering using the train but tickets for those days not showing yet

1 hour ago, Dick & Gretch said:

WE WILL BE IN Le HARVE ON 6/22 and overnight not departing until 12:00 6/23. We are considering using the train but tickets for those days not showing yet

Try to do a booking for your dates.  They will show that they are not available to book yet, but you can put in your email and they will notify you when it is available.

https://en.oui.sncf/en/

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:47 PM, Dick & Gretch said:

I just wanted to thank you for this info. WE WILL BE IN Le HARVE ON 6/22 and overnight not departing until 12:00 6/23. We are considering using the train but tickets for those days not showing yet

We assume you are on the Reflection, and its terrific that the itinerary gives you 2 full days in Le Havre.  Have you considered taking the train on Saturday morning, spending the night in Paris and returning on late Sunday afternoon?   A Saturday night in Paris is certainly worth the price of a hotel room and you would have two days to explore one of our favorite cities.  As to  what you can do on a Sunday morning and early afternoon, we would recommend heading over to the Marais area which is one of the liveliest neighborhoods on Sundays/

Hank

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I really want to take the train to Paris on June 22nd which leaves at 8:02 am but the ship arrival is at 7:00 am and I am not sure if that leaves enough time to get off the ship and arrive at the train station with enough time to board. Has anyone done this before? I understand that there can be some congestion getting off the ship and finding a taxi to the station as it is a short drive and the drivers are looking for more profitable trips. The next train is an hour later and slower and the following train gets in around 12:15 and the latest return is around 8:30

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jpearsall1482 said:

Hi,

I really want to take the train to Paris on June 22nd which leaves at 8:02 am but the ship arrival is at 7:00 am and I am not sure if that leaves enough time to get off the ship and arrive at the train station with enough time to board. Has anyone done this before? I understand that there can be some congestion getting off the ship and finding a taxi to the station as it is a short drive and the drivers are looking for more profitable trips. The next train is an hour later and slower and the following train gets in around 12:15 and the latest return is around 8:30

You have done a terrific job in framing the logistical problems.  And you have it right!  You ability to make that train will depend on getting lucky with a taxi.   You might consider giving it a try, but have a "Plan B" in case it does not work out.  At that point you could change your plans and perhaps go to Honfleur or perhaps take a later train but only go as far as Rouen.

Hank

Thanks. An additional question....since the probability of this connection is low, it would not make sense to purchase non refundable tickets. Are you able to purchase tickets on the train? Don’t want to be at the ticket counter as the train pulls out. 

9 hours ago, jpearsall1482 said:

Thanks. An additional question....since the probability of this connection is low, it would not make sense to purchase non refundable tickets. Are you able to purchase tickets on the train? Don’t want to be at the ticket counter as the train pulls out. 

You can't purchase tickets on the train itself, but there is a ticket office (where you speak to an agent) as well as self-service ticket stations (which allow you to change system settings to English!) in the station. The station itself isn't very big so they should be relatively easy to locate. The self-service ticket stations don't take cash, but there is no guarantee that the agent at the counter has a firm grasp on English. 

It is important to note that sometimes, tickets from Le Havre to Paris sell out (eg. on public holidays). But thankfully, June 22 isn't a public holiday, so I don't think you should experience difficulties purchasing tickets at the station. Be aware that the price is likely to be higher than if you purchase in advance, but even then, the price is still palatable. In my experience, there is no real difference between first and second class so buying a ticket for either should be fine. 

Edited by simplyrubies

Just a word about the ticket office (in Le Havre).  The clerks are usually very friendly and used to dealing with English Speaking cruisers :).  If you are 60+ make sure to ask for "Senior" tickets which will get you a nice discount.   When you enter the main entrance of the station the ticket office is towards your right.  

Hank

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:27 PM, jpearsall1482 said:

Hi,

I really want to take the train to Paris on June 22nd which leaves at 8:02 am but the ship arrival is at 7:00 am and I am not sure if that leaves enough time to get off the ship and arrive at the train station with enough time to board. Has anyone done this before? 

This was my experience in early May.  Our arrival time at Le Havre was 7 am with an expected clearance time of 7:30. Passengers waiting to disembark, I was one, were let off at 6:55 am. There was no 9 am train that day and I had booked the 8 am train. It was also a holiday that specific date.

There was no one in the terminal. There were no taxis at the port. Another ship arrived first, and a few of their passengers were waiting by the taxi sign/line. Passengers from our ship waited for taxis at the same location but in a different line direction. When the first taxi appeared, both lines attempted to get in. The taxi left with someone from the other ship who was on cutches. No other taxi present and two lines of cruisers waiting for taxis.

A few of us from our ship, having to board the 8 am train, decided to walk to the train station. I had a general idea of which way to walk but it was still confusing. It was taking a long time to exit the cruise port. Eventually, other taxis were arriving and a group of 8 of us stopped an inbound taxi and he was glad to take us to the train station. Arrived with time to spare but only because of the taxi ride, if we had to walk the whole distance, it would have been tight time wise. 

On the return, there were (again) no taxis at the train station. There was a line of about 6-8 waiting for a taxi. I suspect this was because it was a holiday in France the day we arrived. All ended up being okay but there was concern making the 8 am train to Paris. I wanted the 9 am train and in the future, I will not take an 8 am train again

Thanks for posting your experience as it should help some others.  Over the years we have posted (many times) about the issue of getting to the train station.   Although we have never measured the exact distance we think it is a little over 1 1/2 miles from the pier to the train station, and that assumes a person takes the most direct route.  DW and I have walked it a few times and it usually takes us about 35 - 40 minutes.  When I walk with DW we are probably going at a decent pace of about 22-25 min a mile.  To quote several cruise ship comedians, most ships are full of "slow walkers"  (they know who they are).   Those slow walkers would probably need an hour for the walk and that assumes they can do it without stopping for a rest.    The last time we took the train from Paris back to Le Harve it was a Saturday afternoon.  When we arrived at the station about 5pm there were zero taxis and some locals desperately trying to reach taxis on the phone.  But it was cocktail time and French taxi drivers like their café au lait and pastis more than they like a fare :(.  DW hates that walk between the station and the port and insists it is at least 2 miles :).  

Despite many visits to Le Havre we have never found a perfect solution to the train station issue.  Sometimes it is possible to get a taxi and other times it is not!  Personally, I prefer to simply rent a car for the day and drive to various places in the region ranging from the D-Day areas to cities like Honfleur,  Deauville, Fecamp, etc.  DW and I no longer train to Paris (the last time we got stuck at the station we were returning from Rouen) because of its distance.  We do like Paris (it is DW's favorite city in Europe) but think its best enjoyed with a lengthy stay...not a truncated port day.

Hank