NCL - Another Big Wave

Krazy Kruizers

This is 2 times in less than a year that one of their ships have been hit with a big wave.

This may be a stupid question, but with all the expensive electronic equipment on board, would it be to much too expect the crew to have warning of something like this?

If they are warned, is there nothing they can do to prevent the damage?

(Maybe they did and reduced the damage to the broken windows...I don't know...if so, GREAT JOB CREW!)

Just wondering :confused:

Last April when the Dawn was hit by a big wave, it was all over the news including Good Morning America and there was a lot of questions about this. A couple of "experts" said that there are huge waves like that every day (including all oceans) that come out of nowhere and it is very rare when a cruise ship is hit by one - or any ship for that matter.

I wonder if part of the problem is the importance placed on keeping to schedule and trying to provide a smoother ride. A faster moving ship will do less bobbing and rolling, but an impact with a large wave will have more force. On the Prinsendam, there is a large dent in the hull, high up on the bow. Captain Gundersen said that was the result of another Captain that thought it was OK to proceed at full speed in very rough seas.

These large waves are like free excursions… except they are scarier.:eek:

From what I have learned about these types of waves, from Captain Leslie Nielsen, is to steer into them or your ship will turn upside down and you will have to start to clime a large Christmas tree to a small hole on the bottom of the ship. :confused:

All kidding aside… if these types of waves posed any large threat the news media would be all over it. Like most news stories the truth is sprinkled with a good helping of drama. Not to say a large wave causing damage to a ship does not raise my attention level a bit.;)

Happy and SMOOTH sailing,

Terry

Rogue waves are out there---just ask anyone who went to the Queen's Lounge on the old Rotterdam. The damage was still covered up on the final cruise.

But it is rare that they connect with a cruise ship. (Ya might want to keep your balcony door closed, though.;) )

Archived