CPAP Anxiety

allygory

Hi all, and thanks in advance for your responses.

My husband and I are sailing on the Escape in June.   He needs a CPAP to sleep and I wrote to the travel access desk to alert them to this.  They wrote back that they would provide distilled water but that I should bring a 6ft extension cord because the bed is not close enough to the outlets.

They then went on to say that the cord might be confiscated and returned once deemed safe, or if not deemed safe we could request one from guest services but there is a very limited supply.

Now i'm worried that they will confiscate it and we won't be able to get another.   Is there any likelihood of that happening?  I would think that their telling me to bring one should cover it but they managed to make me nervous with their caveats.  I

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

And, even if you have a problem, it's likely that Customer Service will be able to supply you with a proper piece of equipment; however, as valley village said, just a plain extension cord is what you need, NO Surge Protection! (that's the biggie)

Hope you have a great cruise. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, All-ready2cruise said:

And, even if you have a problem, it's likely that Customer Service will be able to supply you with a proper piece of equipment; however, as valley village said, just a plain extension cord is what you need, NO Surge Protection! (that's the biggie)

Hope you have a great cruise. 

Thank you!  appreciate it

• Like 1

I was just on the Star 2-15-19, I always have a 6 ft. cord with my machine. First off I didn't need one due to the outlet location, second, they didn't confiscate mine or even say anything about it. The reason that they would take yours is to check it to insure that it is properly grounded. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

Add me to those saying you should not have any problem bringing just a regular extension cord. I have brought my CPAP with an extension cord multiple times. A few times though they have forgotten to supply the distilled water. I just ended up using the tap water in the cabin and that was fine as well! Don't worry! :classic_smile: The biggest problem with the CPAP is the fact you need to carry it!  LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allygory said:

My husband and I are sailing on the Escape in June.   He needs a CPAP to sleep and I wrote to the travel access desk to alert them to this.  They wrote back that they would provide distilled water but that I should bring a 6ft extension cord because the bed is not close enough to the outlets.

They then went on to say that the cord might be confiscated and returned once deemed safe, or if not deemed safe we could request one from guest services but there is a very limited supply.

Now i'm worried that they will confiscate it and we won't be able to get another.   Is there any likelihood of that happening?  I would think that their telling me to bring one should cover it but they managed to make me nervous with their caveats.  I

Thanks

We sail multiple times a year with CPAPs and have never had a problem with NCL. 

On the Escape, the electrical outlet is across from the bed at the desk. 6' may not be sufficient. We always sail with a 12' and 6' cord. 12' is usually good for the -away class ships like the Escape. 

We have never had a problem with cords or power strips being confiscated. 

In the photos below, your cord has to get from the far end of the desk to the bedside. 

image.png.3f20de9f5d38aa68b2a5c555dd135633.png

7086307313a5d27aeb3e16653c179000.heic

cb09186361fca2f4f2c76ef35985c57a.heic

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

We sail multiple times a year with CPAPs and have never had a problem with NCL. 

On the Escape, the electrical outlet is across from the bed at the desk. 6' may not be sufficient. We always sail with a 12' and 6' cord. 12' is usually good for the -away class ships like the Escape. 

We have never had a problem with cords or power strips being confiscated. 

In the photos below, your cord has to get from the far end of the desk to the bedside. 

image.png.3f20de9f5d38aa68b2a5c555dd135633.png

7086307313a5d27aeb3e16653c179000.heic

cb09186361fca2f4f2c76ef35985c57a.heic

Thank you. I will bring a 12

I carry a 6' 3 plug outlet with three prongs, and I use it for my laptop, my CPAP and also plug in a multiport USB charger, never had an issue.  The one thing you cannot bring is an outlet strip with surge suppression.  They deem those as a fire hazard.

• Like 1

Thank you. I will bring a 12

From experience do yourself a favor and bring a roll of tape to tape down the cord as well. I find it helps reduce a potential tripping hazard and keeps the room from feeling cluttered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Run4tacos said:

From experience do yourself a favor and bring a roll of tape to tape down the cord as well. I find it helps reduce a potential tripping hazard and keeps the room from feeling cluttered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use gaffers tape, it holds well but doesn't damage like duct tape.  Check out video here. 

On 3/10/2019 at 9:13 PM, allygory said:

Thanks

Hi Allygory, 

To add to what others have said, I have brought my CPAP on the past 6 NCL ( 2013 to present date) cruises and have never even been questioned regarding bringing my own extension cord.

I always pack my extension cord in my CPAP bag (zippered pocket on top) which I carry as a carry on through the terminal and at all the cruise ports we have cruised from ( NYC 2x,  Orlando, Miami,  San Juan 2x) the terminal security personnel have never said anything. If your husband can, put the extension cord in the CPAP bag, not your checked luggage. 

Also, most newer CPAP machines usually have at least a 6 foot cord power source, so you may want to check out how long the power source cord is before you pack a 12 foot extension cord. 

Enjoy your cruise ! 

Regards, 

Vinegarjoe 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jaja said:

Never had a problem with CPAP..I bring own cord...and pre order distilled water (sometimes already in room..sometimes I need to call desk and remind them).  

I bring a night type light to connect the extension cord to my C-PAP that way I can point it towards the cords so you can see it in the dark.