Vancouver - Canada Place

sfpd3000

We will be disembarking one ship and boarding another ship the same day at Canada Place.  Since we haven't sailed out of Canada Place in 20 years, I can't remember the layout of the place.  I assume there will be curbside porters to take our luggage.  We would like to give up our luggage so we can explore Vancouver for a few hours before we check in.  Is this doable?

One you exit Canada Customs follow the exit signs and on entering the parking area you should find Longshoremen accepting luggage at the drop off area. I believe they are normally available about 10:00 to 10:30, possibly a little sooner.

As mentioned, there may be a delay between you getting off and being able to leave bags with longshoremen. Anecdotally I've heard that there is now a temporary storage area so if you try to drop bags at 9:30am (when the longshoremen are often finished with offloading and start taking incoming bags on quieter days) they will accept them even if it's a busier day and they're still dealing with disembarking pax. NB: also that if you actually NEED a porter, rather than just WANTING one, if it's a busy day they may all be allocated specifically to folks who require help (wheelchairs etc) - there have been multiple reports of no porters to be seen and even folks who saw one and asked to use their services but were refused as they were not allowed to help able-bodied pax (that was a one-off report, but it does make sense now that we are up to potentially 4 ships in Canada Place...)

Long story short - if you want to get an early start on sightseeing, get off in the first batches of people but expect no ability to check your bags straight onto the next ship. Instead take them up to the Pan Pacific bell desk and pay $5 a bag to stash them for the day. If you want to save a few bucks but do less sightseeing, have a leisurely breakfast onboard, take the last possible disembarkation group, and by the time you are on the pier beyond CBSA you should be able to drop your bags right away.

Regardless it's a good idea to then stay away until after 2pm before coming back to check-in (even later on busy days - just make sure you do get back at least 90mins before planned departure time!) so you avoid the peak queues.

2 hours ago, martincath said:

Instead take them up to the Pan Pacific bell desk and pay $5 a bag to stash them for the day.

When I read the OP's post, this was my first thought.  If you need or want help with your luggage to get it from the hotel to the ship, a bellman might be able to assist you.