Help me with Wine Packages?

j3000

we've never taken a wine pkg. on past cruises, but considering it for our 7-day on NS in April (our first on HAL).

There are 11 wine packages offered...I'm looking at the three 6-bottle packages. I'm assuming the  different prices are just based on the prices or quality of the wines available in each package, no?

We'll bring the 2 bottles allowed with us & hopefully 6 more'll just about get us thru the 7 days...hic!

Are they a good deal or what? vs just buying as you go on board...I cant seem to find any current wine lists to compare ....

Do you save a few bucks?

Any comments tips advice would be appreciated.

Yes the difference is in the quality of the wines in each package.  I just checked, and the Cellar 1 (lowest price) works out to about $34 ish per bottle including gratuity, at the current price.  Cellar 2 (mid price) is about $43 per bottle including gratuity.  The last time I looked at the wine list (2015??), nearly every bottle was priced higher than that, and did not include gratuity.  Once they started improving the wines offered in the wine packages, they were a much better value than the individual bottles, especially if you aren't a true wine connoisseur.  I like "red" 😉 so the reds in the packages are fine for me.

thanks. something to consider...

another question: what's the procedure for paying the corkage fee on extra bottles?

do you lug them on board with you in your carry-on....? where & when do you pay the corkage fee? anyone done it lately? how does it work?

36 minutes ago, jargey3000 said:

another question: what's the procedure for paying the corkage fee on extra bottles?

do you lug them on board with you in your carry-on....? where & when do you pay the corkage fee? anyone done it lately? how does it work?

You have to transport the wine in your carry on bag.  In Port Everglades there is someone right after the metal detectors who will accept payment (charge to cabin) and give you the stickers or put the stickers on the bottles you select.   The security personnel will direct you to that person after they observe the bottles in your luggage.  When you go to a dining venue, the wine steward will open the bottle and you will not be charged the corkage fee after the steward observes the sticker on the bottle.

Edited by I like vacation
add info

37 minutes ago, jargey3000 said:

Yes you lug the bottles on board in your carry on.

You pay after you get through security.

You are allowed one bottle per person at the embarkation port only without corkage.  All other bottles whether brought on at embarkation or other ports are charged the corkage fee of $18 per bottle.

It takes a few days for the corkage to appear on your statement and it usually has either a bar or MDR on it.

1 hour ago, jargey3000 said:

Are they a good deal or what? vs just buying as you go on board...I cant seem to find any current wine lists to compare ....

Do you save a few bucks?

Any comments tips advice would be appreciated.

I just researched the current offerings for my October cruise and decided to buy a few bottles in Rome before I board in Civatavecchia.  If you have the time before you board, I would find the local store and choose my own and pay the corkage.  Many people stop at Total Wine before embarkation in Port Everglades.

https://www.totalwine.com/store-info/florida-fort-lauderdale/904?cid=referral:YEXT::SERP_website_link:904_fort_lauderdale_store_page:

A related question:   Once you've paid your corkage fee and have a bottle opened in the dining room, will they keep the bottle for you if you don't finish it that night?    I know most cruise lines will save unfinished bottles that you buy from them, but don't know about others.   We're boarding in San Diego and can bring a few nice bottles from home and save quite a bit.    

26 minutes ago, Kartgv said:

Once you've paid your corkage fee and have a bottle opened in the dining room, will they keep the bottle for you if you don't finish it that night?

Yes.

also, we're staying at The Riverside Hotel, las olas blvd.

looks like a long walk to Total Wine.

I guess the nearby CVS has wine, but any other stores near the hotel to pick up a couple of half-decent wines?

My recommendation is don't. I bought a package for one 7 day cruise. I researched the wines pictured and figured the price was fine. They were about $30 a bottle, plus corkage fee, so why not. I didn't read the fine print that these are not the wines you get. On the actual cruise the bottles were of value more in the $15-$20 range. Also, on 2 of the nights my number 3 and my dinner mates number 2 were the same bottle of wine. And, to add insult to injury, I really disliked 2 of the wines, so I just gave them to the people at the table. Lesson learned. I bought a high quality rolling wine carrier and now I bring my own wines and pay a corkage fee. Veuve Clicquot, my favorite champagne, is about $50 at Costco, plus an $18 corkage fee, $78 instead of the $118 you pay on board. It's really worth it to bring your own and then you know exactly what you are getting.

2 hours ago, jargey3000 said:

also, we're staying at The Riverside Hotel, las olas blvd.

looks like a long walk to Total Wine.

I guess the nearby CVS has wine, but any other stores near the hotel to pick up a couple of half-decent wines?

Uber and Lyft are really active in that area and will cheerfully take you to total wine for about $8

The pre-purchase price is the same as the on-board price so there is no advantage to buying the “Sommelier Suite” ahead of time. If you do chose to purchase one of the package wait and do it at the 1st wine tasting.  That way you can sample and talk with the Sommelier about your tastes and preferences.

I would definitely bring the two ‘free’ bottles with you (assume that are 2 of you traveling together).  You can enjoy them in your cabin at no charge.  You can also ask your cabin steward to remove the mini-bar items in the frig to make room for your wine.  But get a receipt from the Steward; you don’t want to get a min-bar bill at the end of the cruise.  

My personal experience is you can buy the same wine thats on the Sommelier Suite wine lists for a lot less money that on the ship (at least here in Oregon).  Even if you add the corkage fee (US$18/bottle) it’s less money.  The draw back is you must carry the wine onboard with you and stop and pay the fee.  But you can take the bottles you have paid corkage on to the MDR and have a glass with your meal.  They will save you wine and even bring it to a specialty dining venue if you ask ahead of time.  

1 hour ago, I like vacation said:

thanks. I believe that info & pricing may be a little outdated?

here's what I get thru the "Manage My Bookings" linl today:

https://book2.hollandamerica.com/secondaryFlow/beverages

But, what I'd like to see is a photo of the actual MDR menu, showing wine prices....

6 minutes ago, jargey3000 said:

thanks. I believe that info & pricing may be a little outdated?

here's what I get thru the "Manage My Bookings" linl today:

https://book2.hollandamerica.com/secondaryFlow/beverages

But, what I'd like to see is a photo of the actual MDR menu, showing wine prices....

The wine package prices are the same.  The HAL website includes the 15% gratuity while the other links picture does not.

Scroll down the page and you will find the link to the MDR beverage menu with prices.

Edited by I like vacation
add info

we are debating getting a wine package vs bringing our own and paying corkage....if we bring our own do we keep it all in our stateroom, and then just bring a bottle with us to whatever bar or restaurant we want to consume it in?  Can we just give a few bottles to one of the bars, or the dining room to keep there for us?  I drink white also wondering about keeping it cold in my room vs giving it a bar or restaurant to look after - will they keep it chilled?  Leaning towards bringing our own...just want to be sure I understand how it works.  We will be staying in Plantation (near Fort Lauderdale) before our upcoming cruise and there is a Total Wine within walking distance of our hotel.  

TIA

1. You get to bring 1 bottle each (total 2 if you are 2 passengers), you can drink that wine in your stateroom at no additional charge.  You can also bring it to the MDR or a bar, but they will charge you the corkage fee.  
  2. Every room has a refrigerator but may be pre-stocked with a mini-bar.  We ask our room steward to remove the mini-bar and give us a receipt that he did.  We can then use the frig as we see fit.  (The receipt is to protect against a room service charge at the end of the cruise.)
  3. Additional wine can be brought on board at the charge of US$18 per bottle.  You stop and pay the fee as you board.  They then apply a stamp to the bottle.  You can bring that bottle to the MDR or bar at no extra charge.  The MDR has a wine sommelier who will take care of your bottle and yes keep white chilled.  They will also ‘transfer’ the bottle to one of the specialty dining venues (like the Pinnacle Grill if you let them know ahead of time 
  4. Not every bar specializes in wine.  A bar will take you bottle but be sure they have a place to store and care for it.  

On 3/18/2019 at 5:43 PM, jargey3000 said:

We always bring our wine on board.   I like Zinfandel and it's hard to get a good bottle on board....not to mention the price they charge for what I can barely drink.  I ran to Costco yesterday and got 4 different Zins ranging from $10.99 to $18.00 a bottle.  I bought what I like and will gladly cough up the $18 corkage fee.   Last time we were on NA, they ran out of the wine my folks liked (2 different types) and then they were stuck drinking something that was not so great (they bought one of the wine packages).   

I fill one (sometimes 2, depending on the length of the cruise) wheeled carry ons with wine.  As soon as you get thru Security, there should be a table with a crew member that will take your wine from you so you don't need to lug it on board.  Easy peasy.    I wrap each bottle in bubble wrap (don't tape the bubble wrap because you will need to unwrap them).   It's worth the effort IMO to carry on your wine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OR_Cowboy_1952 said:

Every room has a refrigerator but may be pre-stocked with a mini-bar.  We ask our room steward to remove the mini-bar and give us a receipt that he did.  We can then use the frig as we see fit.  (The receipt is to protect against a room service charge at the end of the cruise.)

Every room on every ship does NOT have a mini bar/fridge.

On the S & R ships there are no mini bars in cabins below verandah category.  They can, however be rented for $2 per day. (I believe that is still the cost).

• Thanks 1