NCL PEARL CABIN 8134...BEWARE

jrupfl

This is the worst cabin I have ever been placed in as an upgrade. Located above the bliss nightclub the noise is unbearable.  The walls vibrate to the beat of the base. I am on day three of sleeplessness. Pleas for relief go are listened to, but solutions are not provided. Oh, wait, they did send earplugs to the room.  Run fro. This cabin if you are assigned to it.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this.  That sucks.  😞

I just reviewed where our cabin is on the Pearl and moved from deck 9 to deck 10.  Cabins above and below.   I won't bid on an upgrade.   

• Like 1

Having been in 8634 on the Pearl in 2010 I sympathize.   I started a thread on noise / room vibration from Bliss Ultra Lounge after that cruise because I hadn't found anything when researching the stateroom before choosing it.   The noise / room vibration in 8134 and 8634 on the Pearl and sister ships that have Bliss Ultra Lounge underneath them is unacceptable and doesn't make up for the aft facing balcony.  We could hear words to all the songs and the floor and walls literally shook..... bad for me but terrible for my 82 year old mother with short term memory problems.  There is a reason these staterooms are the last aft facing balconies to be booked and probably why you were "lucky" enough to be assigned it.   I love NCL and am platinum plus but still find it disappointing that nothing has been done to diminish the problem with these staterooms.  I really HATE that they act like they've never heard it before when a new occupant complains.

If I were you I would request a meeting with the hotel director and politely ask for a second room for sleeping.  Even an inside room in a quiet location would serve your purposes.  It isn't unreasonable to expect to sleep on a cruise and would be a gesture of goodwill on NCL's part and make you a grateful customer.

2 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

That's why I never bother to bid on an upgrade, you never know where you will end up.  I pick the cabin I want and stick with it.

Good plan going forward.😎

2 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

That's why I never bother to bid on an upgrade, you never know where you will end up.  I pick the cabin I want and stick with it.

Me too. I considered it but have such anxiety about noise that I didn't want to chance it. I will never bid for an upgrade. I can't imagine how the OP must feel. I hope they post and let us know what happened.

Some upgrade! 😫 And to think that an AFT facing balcony is supposed to be exceptional! Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get a favorable resolution since NCL would have gotten many complaints over the years for this particular cabin(s).

I think it is worst the effort to talk to the hotel manager. Yes, you probably will not get moved or even someplace just for sleeping but it is worth the try. I can't imagine not being able to sleep. That is the very worst there is; a vacation with little or no sleep. 

I think it is safe to say, this is what can happen if you bid for an upgrade or you choose a gty cabin. You may very well get a cat upgrade but a worst location. I wonder what the Pearl could do to make that cabin more acceptable to guests. Of course they are going to act like they have no idea there is a problem. What would you expect the front desk to do? There really is very little they can do. Yes, please keep us posted. 

23 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

Good plan going forward.😎

Spoke again to pursuers desk, told me I should call when I hear the noise. ???? They must think I am hallucinating. Day four of sleep deprivation. Nothing they can do. Although they say it very nicely.

Sorry to hear. When I was on Pearl they used Bliss for karaoke. The Spinnaker was used as the true night club. Karaoke ended around 1130 as I recall. Sounds like they've changed it up since November. My November cruise was Panama Canal 14 day, so maybe that is why.

1 minute ago, jrupfl said:

Spoke again to pursuers desk, told me I should call when I hear the noise. ???? They must think I am hallucinating. Day four of sleep deprivation. Nothing they can do. Although they say it very nicely.

Maybe they want to adjust the volume and frequency to not disturb you as much. Atleast that's a optimistic thought. 

50 minutes ago, jrupfl said:

In 2010 in your situation we were also requested to call when we heard the noise.  We did and they sent someone who agreed that the vibration and noise level were unacceptable.  They said they'd ask the band to turn the bass level down.  This helped a little and after band stopped and dj started up although we could still hear we were able to get some sleep.  The biggest problem in our situation was due to my 82 year old mom's short term memory loss every time a new song started we went through the same thing..... over and over.  From speaking to a fellow passenger at the Cruise Critic meet and greet I knew there was at least one vacant stateroom on the ship and NCL was kind enough to provide us a second stateroom for sleeping purposes.  Front desk could not help with this, it took working with the HOTEL DIRECTOR and his assistant. 

If you are unable to obtain relief I suggest requesting a blanket from your room steward, dress in something comfortable and take your blanket and pillow to the observation lounge and sleep on one of the big lounges. 

• 2 months later...

Thanks to all my fellow cc mates who offered advice on this situation.  Outcome: the staff asked the band/dj to lower the base, and the vibrations stopped. That was 3 nights of sleeplessness. 

I felt the staff at the front desk were sincere in there attempts to solve our problem. However, this must be a problem on every cruise when this cabin is occupied.   The manager sent us a bottle of wine. Appreciated.  On the last night of the cruise, the hotel manager called and gave us a 250.00 shipboard credit. Appreciated. The staff wanted us to be happy.   So  thank you to them.  I will take the advice offered earlier, pick a cabin you want and stick with it! 

11 hours ago, jrupfl said:

The manager sent us a bottle of wine. Appreciated.  On the last night of the cruise, the hotel manager called and gave us a 250.00 shipboard credit. Appreciated.

Nice windfall. I will make sure I book Cabin 8134 next time. 

• Like 1

Cabins on deck 8 aft - including the suites - on most all of the jewel class ships have been mentioned here as not for those who want to sleep at night. I understood that when the lounge was re-located on deck 7 on these ships that they installed extra soundproofing in an attempt to minimize the sound traveling up to deck 8. I guess it was not successful. I also feel that having to go to the hotel manager to get resolve is also poor customer service - the customer service agent on the desk should have had the power to help. It probably also did not help your case if the other cabins back there did not complain - makes it look like the problem is more with you than the nightclub.

• Like 1