Talkeetna

peggy1

We are wondering if anyone has done a post cruise land tour with Celebrity.  We are due to go from Seward to Anchorage to Talkeetna on May 31.  We are getting no guidance from Celebrity as to timetables.  We'd like to know what time we get to the Talkeetna Lodge to see if there is time to schedule any activity.  TIA 

if you want feedback you need to post a link to the specific cruisetour.  

Do you at least know if you're travelling by train or Bus ? 

If by bus, here are the general travel times ..... Seward to Anc is 3 hrs and Anc to Talkeetna 3 hrs.  The bus may stop at the Wildlife Center near Portage for an hr,  and a lunch stop in Anc for at least an hr.   In which case you would arrive in Talkeetna around 4ish.    But it's just a guess without seeing your specific cruisetour.

Thanks for your reply.  We are on tour 9A and get into Seward on May 31.  We are suppose to go by bus to Alaska Sea Life Center from the ship and then on to Anchorage by bus and then from Anchorage to Talkeetna for overnight. Does this sound like we would still get into Talkeetna around 4?  The people we have spoken to at Celebrity seem to not be aware of much when it comes to the land part.  Thank you so much for your help

Edited by peggy1

The information is on the Celebrity web site. When you open the itinerary you highlight the day then scroll down to see each days' plan.

You will then travel by deluxe motor coach to Talkeetna and enjoy a beer tasting at a local Brewery. From 6:30 p.m., Talkeetna is yours to discover.  "   So i'd say you probably arrive 4pm - ish in Talkeetna. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/itinerary-details/10-night-authentic-tastes-of-alaska-cruisetour-9a-from-vancouver-british-columbia?packageID=ML10A909&sDT=2019-05-10&cCD=CT&aCB=false

Did you realize that this tour doesn't allow enough time at Denali to get INSIDE the park to enjoy the wildlife and scenery?

The itineray says that on June 1 you have the morning free in Talkeetna then you board the train  for Denali.  ( The train leaves at 11:30am and arrives to Denali at 3:40pm.  ) The next day you leave Denali around noon and head to Anchorage.   Yikes !

The only way you will have time for a bus ride thru the park is if you do it on your own ......disembark the train at Denali ( the depot is inside the park), and instead of going to the hotel,  you walk to the bus depot and catch a bus.

While we're talking Talkeetna...we're doing our own trip in September. We will be spending a few days at Caribou Lodge then returning to Anchorage. HOWEVER, the train service and bus services stop for the season, a day before we are due to return to Anchorage (19th September). Have not had much luck with getting a response from shuttle people so it looks like we'll have to hire a car to get there(instead of the train...which is already booked)..and drive ourselves back. Any other suggestions?

6 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

The information is on the Celebrity web site. When you open the itinerary you highlight the day then scroll down to see each days' plan.

You will then travel by deluxe motor coach to Talkeetna and enjoy a beer tasting at a local Brewery. From 6:30 p.m., Talkeetna is yours to discover.  "   So i'd say you probably arrive 4pm - ish in Talkeetna. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/itinerary-details/10-night-authentic-tastes-of-alaska-cruisetour-9a-from-vancouver-british-columbia?packageID=ML10A909&sDT=2019-05-10&cCD=CT&aCB=false

Did you realize that this tour doesn't allow enough time at Denali to get INSIDE the park to enjoy the wildlife and scenery?

The itineray says that on June 1 you have the morning free in Talkeetna then you board the train  for Denali.  ( The train leaves at 11:30am and arrives to Denali at 3:40pm.  ) The next day you leave Denali around noon and head to Anchorage.   Yikes !

The only way you will have time for a bus ride thru the park is if you do it on your own ......disembark the train at Denali ( the depot is inside the park), and instead of going to the hotel,  you walk to the bus depot and catch a bus.

After we get off the train it says we will be going on the Natural History Tour in Denali, which is 4 1/2-5 hours long.  We have done the Tundra Tour in the past with Princess.  It says we can book optional excursions following this?  I don't know when they think we'd have time to do this.  I had wanted to do the cruise going up and then doing the land part on our own since this is the second land tour and 3rd cruise to Alaska.  I think I should have stayed with my first instinct and done it on our own.  The good part is that we are staying 3 days after we get back to Anchorage so we will do that on our own and spend a couple of days in Aleyska and do Kenai Fiords cruise, etc.   Thanks for giving us information about train schedule.  It gives us a better idea.

22 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

My itinerary does not show details. Is that because it does not occur until August?

5 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

I see details in other Aug itineraries.  If you want feedback, you need post your specific cruisetour.   

TALKEETNA TREASURES CRUISETOUR 1B from Celebrity starting in Anchorage