Skagway rail tours

ascho

I have been reading the recommendations but I am confused. It seems as there are several rail options.  I see listings for White Pass, Yukon and Bennett.  Are these all different routes?  Is the train better than renting a car for 4 people?

There are several routes for the White Pass Yukon Railroad and whether it's better than renting a car for 4 people is a preference issue. My husband really enjoys the train ride and that's the reason we do it. 

We've done the trip to Fraser and back where you don't get off the train through the cruise line. It's about 4 hours, you have time at the top of the pass as they switch the engine but you don't get off the train. 

We've taken the bus up to Emerald Lake, Caribou Crossing and then the train back to Skagway from Fraser through the cruise line. This is a longer tour and you see more from the road. 

Last year we did the Bennett Lake excursion with Chilkoot Tours. The time on the train was longer. It was a bit on the crowded side until Fraser and then most of the people got off and those of us going on were able to spread out and had plenty of room. We were at Bennett Lake about an hour. It was enough time to go to the top of the Chilkoot Trail, take pictures, look around the train station, etc. The box lunch served was delicious and almost too much food! When we got to Carcross our driver who picked us up at the ship was waiting for us. We had about 45 minutes to look around, get an ice cream, etc. as she got the group she brought up on the train. Then we went to Emerald Lake and back to Skagway with lots of photo ops. If bear were spotted we stopped and we had a great time. 

I feel it all comes down to what you want to see. Personally I'm on vacation and my car keys are in the safe. I love letting someone else do the driving! I would highly recommend Chilkoot Tours. It was wonderful to have the small group experience and they were cheaper than the cruise ship offered tour. 

Karen

Actually, I finally get it.  Unfortunately, Chilkoot tours does not offer Bennett Lake on Mondays so I will probably take the Yukon Rail and Bus excursion. The ship gets in at 7 am. Can I make the 7:30 train or should I take the 9:15 bus first excursion?  The ship does not depart until 8 pm.