Norwegian Epic March 23 Embarcation delayed

Ixtoras

Ship departure time was approx 5:00 pm, sitting dockside at 6:30.  Engines fired up around 4:45.  Thought we were about under way, then nothing. 

Captain / CD just announced a delay due to medical evac,. Currently no ambulance dockside that we can see.  CD  will update as status changes.    Here's hoping that whomever they are, that they're ok.

20190323_183622_HDR.jpg

8 minutes ago, Ixtoras said:

Ship departure time was approx 5:00 pm, sitting dockside at 6:30.  Engines fired up around 4:45.  Thought we were about under way, then nothing. 

Captain / CD just announced a delay due to medical evac,. Currently no ambulance dockside that we can see.  CD  will update as status changes.    Here's hoping that whomever they are, that they're ok.

20190323_183622_HDR.jpg

I got off this morning. There were major delays in disembarking.  Apparently they tried a new facial recognization to that “epically“ failed LOL… Tons of super upset passengers… Fistfights almost broke out. 

I didn’t leave last Saturday until 9 PM due to “schedule maintenance“

56 minutes ago, laurenfl15 said:

I didn’t leave last Saturday until 9 PM due to “schedule maintenance“

Hmm, no facial recognition on embarc, but we're still sitting here, gangways still attached.  Haven't seen any signs of medical staff onboarding or taking out a stretcher or anything.  

Did notice that they fired up / revved the engine is again...  And the port exhaust  stack is under construction.  So only starboard is sending up a plume...

I understand that they shouldn't need both ..  but it is disconcerting.

I’m on Epic right now as well and not sure I’m buying that this is a medical situation. Wouldn’t they just remove the passenger and send the rest of us on our way?

After all the recent maintenance issues I’m not feeling confident right now.😬 it’s now almost 11 pm and still not underway, yikes! 

15 minutes ago, VegasChic2014 said:

I’m on Epic right now as well and not sure I’m buying that this is a medical situation. Wouldn’t they just remove the passenger and send the rest of us on our way?

After all the recent maintenance issues I’m not feeling confident right now. it’s now almost 11 pm and still not underway, yikes! 

Aside from a criminal investigation, I cannot imagine what kind of "medical situation" NCL would allow to delay a ship of 4,000 passengers 6+ HOURS...

Edited by CruisingNole

Bon Vovage & best wishes for a smooth sailaway - going to need plenty of speed and a good, solid tail wind under favorable conditions to get to GSC tomorrow at all (around noonish ??)  ... or, else, could be skipping the private island & heading straight to the next port instead.  

My understanding is that, most of the time, if not always, an EMS ambulance is usually standing by at the PC pier, at least upon arrival for disembarkation as a matter of protocol ... and, we've seen BLS/ALS unit responding to medical calls from the ship with FD rescue truck rolling along - wondered if anyone heard Code Alpha over the ship's PA earlier (of course, if the injuried involved a crew member, maybe it wasn't necessary done to "alarm" the passengers if the incident took place below deck ...)  

Unless the rescue invovled extraction tools or other specialized gears, it should not delayed the ship for 4 to 6 hours to the critical patients off the gangway onto land side ... the golden hour of trauma care rules for first responders, etc. 

Edited by mking8288

2 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

After reading this forum, I continue to realize that cancelling my TA on this dump next month was the best decision we could have ever made.

Yes. Medical situations only happen on NCL ships named Epic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Epic's call to GSC has just been canceled.  Captain saying because of "high winds" but the ship is still 3 hours away from reaching the port.  Enchantment of the Seas is anchored off of nearby Casaway Cay but no way to tell if she's actually letting off guests.  

Edited by Fredric22

31 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

Epic's call to GSC has just been canceled.  Captain saying because of "high winds" but the ship is still 3 hours away from reaching the port.  Enchantment of the Seas is anchored off of nearby Casaway Cay but no way to tell if she's actually letting off guests.  

Based on recent trip reports, it appears epic hasn’t been to GSC in over a month.

Something is off here and NCL is not being transparent. 

11 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

Based on recent trip reports, it appears epic hasn’t been to GSC in over a month.

Something is off here and NCL is not being transparent. 

I would have to agree considering nearby ships are anchored at their respective private islands.  I guess it is possible the location of GSC makes it unique and the winds there would pose more of an issue than nearby islands.  But the fact that the ship didn't leave port until 11pm and now this seems like an odd coincidence. 

16 minutes ago, teach/2/cruise said:

Any word on what caused the delay?

hopefully everyone is ok

A medical emergency at around 5pm... Captain said the ship wasn't cleared by local officials until 11pm.  Something doesn't add up there.