Santiago Airport to Oceania Terminal

mort&fran

Oceania's ships dock in San Antonio. How far is that from Santiago airport? I presume other cruise lines use that port also. Is there a shuttle service between the airport and the ships' terminal? 

Any information/experiences would be appreciated.

It's 65 miles to San Antonio from Santiago. Most cruise ships now cruise from there rather than Valpo (long story), which is a far more interesting city (i even like it better than Santiago - particularly up in the hill area where there's great restaurants and street art).

I suggest arriving a few days earlier and hire a driver guide to pick you up in Santiago, do a half day tour there and then drive you to Valpo for a couple of days stay. There are some guides who have family in both places and could then do a Valpo/Vina del Mar tour the next day. Got an extra day? Wine tasting in the Casablanca Valley!

On embarkation day, arrange a private transfer from Valpo to San Antonio. It's about 55 miles south of Valpo.

Or, if you're in a hurry, skip Valpo, stay a day in Santiago and then get a transfer to San Antonio.

We liked Valpo also -- had a wonderful guide (not a licensed guide but he was excellent) who had been recommended by a friend from the old Oceania yahoo message board.

I'm interested in why the change from Valpo to San Antonio.  Feel free to email me with your answer if you have time!

Mura

Edited by Mura

1 hour ago, Mura said:

We liked Valpo also -- had a wonderful guide (not a licensed guide but he was excellent) who had been recommended by a friend from the old Oceania yahoo message board.

I'm interested in why the change from Valpo to San Antonio.  Feel free to email me with your answer if you have time!

Mura

The Port of Valpo has been the victim of poor maintenance, safety issues (the port itself and its neighborhood), labor problems (most recent labor strike in December 2018). At the same time, the Port of San Antonio is expanding with new construction et al. The move south by cruise lines was inevitable.

If OP takes my suggestion of spending some time in Valpo, s/he should consider the great little boutique Hotel Somerscales.

BTW, since I only do CC on my phone, I can tell you that there is no display of your email on mobile devices.

In reverse, we hired Chile Transfer Tours to pick us up at the San Antonio port, take us on a tour of Valparaiso, and drop us off at our lodging in Santiago, where we enjoyed several days of sightseeing. Loreto was an excellent guide. 

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The Port of Valpo has been the victim of poor maintenance, safety issues (the port itself and its neighborhood), labor problems (most recent labor strike in December 2018). At the same time, the Port of San Antonio is expanding with new construction et al. The move south by cruise lines was inevitable.

If OP takes my suggestion of spending some time in Valpo, s/he should consider the great little boutique Hotel Somerscales.

BTW, since I only do CC on my phone, I can tell you that there is no display of your email on mobile devices.

Thanks for the information.  I'm not sure how to enable display of my emails on mobile devices.  I don't use MINE for that purpose ... maybe that's a factor?  Anyway, given the crime, etc., situation, it's understandable why Valpo is no longer used by most (if not all) cruiselines.

We were in Valpo nearly 20 years ago so my information is old but we stayed at the Hotel Monterilla in Vina del Mar, rather than staying in Valpo.  A lovely smaller hotel.

Mura