Serenade - Norway

Hi All......has anyone done the Norway itinerary? What does the Daily Compass look like? Are there still as many activities as in Med and Caribbean cruises? Such as trivia, game shows etc.  We enjoy all of these and look forward to them as much as the ports. 

Also if anyone has any tips on this ship share those too 🙂

Thanks!

My wife and I were on this in 2017 and I seem to remember that there were various activities during the cruise. We found that the evening entertainment was (I think) on deck 4. However, as it’s a small ship it tended to get very crowded. Many cruisers watched from the decks above but even these areas got jam packed. You still get quizzes etc on the cruise compass there is always something to do if you want. 

I loved the places we visited especially Gerainger which was absolutely stunning. Did the hop on hop off bus but it is a bit hairy as it goes up the mountain with a number of hairpin bends. Of course the driver has to negotiate past the bus coming back on a very tight road. 

5 hours ago, scottraveller said:

My wife and I were on this in 2017 and I seem to remember that there were various activities during the cruise. We found that the evening entertainment was (I think) on deck 4. However, as it’s a small ship it tended to get very crowded. Many cruisers watched from the decks above but even these areas got jam packed. You still get quizzes etc on the cruise compass there is always something to do if you want. 

I loved the places we visited especially Gerainger which was absolutely stunning. Did the hop on hop off bus but it is a bit hairy as it goes up the mountain with a number of hairpin bends. Of course the driver has to negotiate past the bus coming back on a very tight road. 

Thanks...we are looking into renting a Twizzy car to explore on our own in Gerainger possibly. It does look amazing.

You will find most of the regular activities on this cruise.  However, you may be too tired to attend all of them.  We do this itinerary annually and do a lot of walking.  Also, the scenery is so beautiful that you hate to go to sleep and miss any of it.  Not sure when you are going, but it will probably be daylight most of the time with only a few hours of darkness(mostly twilight).

24 minutes ago, lakelorain said:

You will find most of the regular activities on this cruise.  However, you may be too tired to attend all of them.  We do this itinerary annually and do a lot of walking.  Also, the scenery is so beautiful that you hate to go to sleep and miss any of it.  Not sure when you are going, but it will probably be daylight most of the time with only a few hours of darkness(mostly twilight).

We are going the last week of May. Can’t wait for the long daylight days!!! Do you recommend one particular not to miss on sailing in or out of port? Or pretty much all of them? Lol

Edited by scoochy12

We've done two cruises that included Norway ports, including the Arctic Circle itinerary on the Serenade in June, 2015.  Norway is beautiful!!   I'm not sure of your exact itinerary, but for any of the days where you'll be sailing through Fjords (Flam, Geiranger, Olden), you'll want to make sure your out on deck early for the sail-in and also plan to be close to a window.  It's really a wonderful experience.  In Geirganger, we rented a card and drove to Dalsniba, Groli Hotel, and also back to Eisdal.  It was easily doable in the alloted time for the port stop.   We also rented a car in Alesund and Honningsvag.  This was MUCH better than doing any of the ships tour and allowed us to get to the sights earlier than the 'crowds' from the ship and also see things that are a bit off the beaten path.

As far as ships activities, we found them to be similar to activities on any other itinerary.  The Serenade was a great ship for this itinerary as all of the Radiance Class ships have lots of windows and easy access to views.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

10 hours ago, scoochy12 said:

We are going the last week of May. Can’t wait for the long daylight days!!! Do you recommend one particular not to miss on sailing in or out of port? Or pretty much all of them? Lol

The entire trip is beautiful.  If you can, spend a few days in Copenhagen either before or after the cruise.  If you enjoy walking, you can easily do all these ports(including Copenhagen) walking.  If you are an avid hiker, there are some great mountains and hills to climb. The Captain will point out the Seven Sisters/Suitor waterfalls and rotate the ship so everyone can see them. 

On 3/26/2019 at 8:31 AM, lakelorain said:

The entire trip is beautiful.  If you can, spend a few days in Copenhagen either before or after the cruise.  If you enjoy walking, you can easily do all these ports(including Copenhagen) walking.  If you are an avid hiker, there are some great mountains and hills to climb. The Captain will point out the Seven Sisters/Suitor waterfalls and rotate the ship so everyone can see them. 

Thank you.

We are spending 2 nights pre-cruise in Copenhagen and 2 nights post-cruise in Sweden.

That is awesome that they rotate the ship for the Seven Sisters Waterfall views.

On the last Compass that I see posted on the blog it says that there is not a dining room open on embarkation day. Do you recall this on your sailing?

On 3/26/2019 at 4:53 AM, Chris_nj said:

We've done two cruises that included Norway ports, including the Arctic Circle itinerary on the Serenade in June, 2015.  Norway is beautiful!!   I'm not sure of your exact itinerary, but for any of the days where you'll be sailing through Fjords (Flam, Geiranger, Olden), you'll want to make sure your out on deck early for the sail-in and also plan to be close to a window.  It's really a wonderful experience.  In Geirganger, we rented a card and drove to Dalsniba, Groli Hotel, and also back to Eisdal.  It was easily doable in the alloted time for the port stop.   We also rented a car in Alesund and Honningsvag.  This was MUCH better than doing any of the ships tour and allowed us to get to the sights earlier than the 'crowds' from the ship and also see things that are a bit off the beaten path.

As far as ships activities, we found them to be similar to activities on any other itinerary.  The Serenade was a great ship for this itinerary as all of the Radiance Class ships have lots of windows and easy access to views.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Did you get to see the Northern Lights during any of those cruises?

We did the North Cape itinerary on Serenade three years ago during the summer solstice.  It never got dark and the midnight sun party was fun.  We also received a certificate for crossing the Arctic Circle and participated in the blue nose party,(don't recall if that is what it was called, but everyone had their nose painted blue during the crossing.)  I can't imagine being able to see the Northern Lights in the summer months.

Edited by mek

2 hours ago, Glide_Path said:

Did you get to see the Northern Lights during any of those cruises?

No.  Since it was June, there was very little darkness.  For a few days, while north of the Arctic Circle, the sky never got dark.

17 hours ago, scoochy12 said:

Thank you.

We are spending 2 nights pre-cruise in Copenhagen and 2 nights post-cruise in Sweden.

That is awesome that they rotate the ship for the Seven Sisters Waterfall views.

On the last Compass that I see posted on the blog it says that there is not a dining room open on embarkation day. Do you recall this on your sailing?

The Windjammer is open when you arrive.  The Main Dining Room opens at dinner.

On 3/25/2019 at 4:41 PM, scoochy12 said:

Hi All......has anyone done the Norway itinerary? What does the Daily Compass look like? Are there still as many activities as in Med and Caribbean cruises? Such as trivia, game shows etc.  We enjoy all of these and look forward to them as much as the ports. 

Also if anyone has any tips on this ship share those too 🙂

Thanks!

I took this cruise last May. The scenery is F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!!! I simply LURVE the waterfall in Geiranger. 

The crew is SO friendly and helpful. It seems in a not I-want-gratuities way.

I saw one or two shows - nothing special, but nice.

I didn't participate in any activities - I knitted and spun yarn and wound down.

I'm taking the cruise again next August (2020). This time on Jewel. 

I live in the center of Copenhagen, so it's that or the Baltic Sea if I don't want to travel to somewhere else first.

Edited by ditmar2007

19 hours ago, Chris_nj said:

No.  Since it was June, there was very little darkness.  For a few days, while north of the Arctic Circle, the sky never got dark.

Thank you for your feedback.  I was looking at the 11 day Artic circle cruise in June, and the description kept on referring to the Northern Lights.  I'd just assumed it was possible to see it from the ship at some point on the trip.

1 hour ago, Glide_Path said:

Thank you for your feedback.  I was looking at the 11 day Artic circle cruise in June, and the description kept on referring to the Northern Lights.  I'd just assumed it was possible to see it from the ship at some point on the trip.

We sailed in June also. Never really got dark. We were able to do a B2B, 11 days Norway and 11 days Baltics. It might not be available now, though.

5 hours ago, ditmar2007 said:

I took this cruise last May. The scenery is F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!!! I simply LURVE the waterfall in Geiranger. 

The crew is SO friendly and helpful. It seems in a not I-want-gratuities way.

I saw one or two shows - nothing special, but nice.

I didn't participate in any activities - I knitted and spun yarn and wound down.

I'm taking the cruise again next August (2020). This time on Jewel. 

I live in the center of Copenhagen, so it's that or the Baltic Sea if I don't want to travel to somewhere else first.

Funny. I suggested a Norway cruise to my Danish family, and they were having absolutely none of it.  It's Caribbean or nothing at all for them.  "Why in the world would we want to cruise Norway?"

Though we do go skiing in Norway every year (there right now actually). I joke that the ferry is their Norwegian cruise.

After the Viking fiasco, not sure I'll ever get my Norwegian cruise! 

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

"Why in the world would we want to cruise Norway?"

And I say: "Why in the world would I want to fly 6 time zones to go on a cruise where it's all about booze and beaches?"

Or for that matter: "Why in the world would I want to go skiing in Norway on tiny mountains when I can go in the Alps that rise to 3500 m and also have some life in the town after 6pm?"

I guess YMMV

Edited by ditmar2007

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 3:50 PM, scoochy12 said:

On the last Compass that I see posted on the blog

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:26 PM, Saman said:

for sure we will all be up early to see the sights sailing into Geiranger

HI SCOOCHY, WHICH BLOG?

HI SAMAN, I've HEARD YOU DON'T HAVE TO GET UP EARLY FOR THE SAILING INTO PORT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO... THAT YOU CAN SEE THE SAME SIGHTS ON THE WAY OUT. LOVE THAT IDEA!!