Has anyone booked the ship's private van for St. Petersburg?

Usually I would never book a ship excursion, but I'm looking at RCCL and they have "private van with guide" for a total price that would be less per person for our party than booking private with one of the regular tour companies.   I was thinking that the lower price (even once I figure in entrance fees, which are not included), on top of getting to leave earlier since it's a ship excursion, makes it worth considering.  However, I don't want to sacrifice having a quality guide, so I wonder if anyone has done this and been happy.    Thank you!

3 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

All tours in St. Petersburg receive good reviews including the ship tours (they also use a local tour company). I am fairly certain that you will be happy with a private tour with your ship.

I don't see the reviews for the private ship tours.  Maybe I'm not looking in the right place - would you be able to direct me?  

We're a party of six and I'm about to book a private tour with SPB, just wanted to make sure I'm not dismissing a better option.  I'm guessing though that if the ship's private tour was a better option, I'd read more about it here.   Thank you!

Have you tried the RCCL forum? Maybe someone there has used the private van tour. SPB has amazing reviews, but I wasn't overly impressed with my particular guide on my private tour (we were traveling with a 3.5 year old, so some of the issues were our difficulties as a family).  Our group of 3 was able to skip all the lines, and I would hope the RCCL private van tour would do so too.  Four years ago, the NCL private van cost a certain amount for up to 6 passengers, and therefore was much more expensive for a small group than SPB or the other private operators.  If most of the private tours are very small groups, that might account for why there are so few reviews.

My son was much younger than your kids are now, but there were some itinerary suggestions to consider in my review in my signature line.  I planned this trip last minute, so I didn't know about the reindeer excursion in Helsinki, or the train museum in St. Petersburg.  Also, the exploratorium has been renovated and another forum poster says its quite nice now.  And transportation in Stockholm has changed, and there are no longer one ride tickets on the HOHO ferries.  I hope you and your family have a wonderful trip - the baltics were amazing!

Edited by kitkat343

14 hours ago, Kerry's Girls said:

Usually I would never book a ship excursion, but I'm looking at RCCL and they have "private van with guide" for a total price that would be less per person for our party than booking private with one of the regular tour companies.   I was thinking that the lower price (even once I figure in entrance fees, which are not included), on top of getting to leave earlier since it's a ship excursion, makes it worth considering.  However, I don't want to sacrifice having a quality guide, so I wonder if anyone has done this and been happy.    Thank you!

I am very surprised that a private van with guide option via the ship is working out less than a totally private tour-usually those options[in other cities admittedly ] are eye wateringly expensive

as already noted general admission lines especially for places like Catherines palace can be hours long whereas a private guide can whisk you in a separate entrance with little wait

I don't think I have ever seen a review on these boards for such an option but I would double check with RCCL what the  costs  are and what is included

11 hours ago, Kerry's Girls said:

I don't see the reviews for the private ship tours.  Maybe I'm not looking in the right place - would you be able to direct me?  

If there are reviews for the private guide and driver, they would most likely be found on the RCL boards.

What I was attempting to impart in my previous post is: it makes little difference which tour company you use in St. Petersburg (this includes ship tours) as almost everyone is pleased with their chosen tours. The cruise ships hire a local company to provide their tours in St.P.

IMHO, the downside to ship tours is the size of the group - sometimes up to 50, and the queues at some attractions. However, since you will have a private guide and driver, this would not be an issue for you.