Internet confusion

EmilyColwell

Hey everyone,

I am doing my first long distance cruise this year, but me and DH are quite confused about the internet situation. 

We had prebooked 240 minutes of internet, is that only to be used in the internet cafe or anywhere on the ship?

What is the deal with the internet cafe?

I've read some terrible reviews on the internet over all. I only need it to check my work emails, is there even a point in getting it?

If it makes a difference we will be on the Star going from Vancouver to Hawaii.

Thanks!

I can't answer specifically about the Star, but you can use the internet in the Internet Cafe or on your own personal device (cell phone, iPad, etc.).  The only place where the ship provides computers, however, is in the Internet Cafe.

But unless internet speeds have been vastly upgraded on the Star (like the ships with the new MedallionNet like Caribbean Princess and Regal), the internet is pretty slow.  That said, if you *have* to check email for work, then 240 minutes is probably about right (depending, of course, on how much email you get).  If you don't have to be in constant contact, you may be better off checking your ports ahead of time for Wi-Fi hotspots.  And if you've done some searching on these boards, you've probably also seen tips like draft an e-mail in another program while offline (if you're using your own device), then log in to cut and paste and send the email, the quickly log off again once sent to save your minutes.

Also make sure you know how to log off when you are done. Just closing your browser or turning off your device will not do that.  The Internet Cafe should be able to show you how to do that. Again as has been stated use as much off line capabilities as you can to save your time.

24 minutes ago, EmilyColwell said:

Hey everyone,

I am doing my first long distance cruise this year, but me and DH are quite confused about the internet situation. 

We had prebooked 240 minutes of internet, is that only to be used in the internet cafe or anywhere on the ship?

Anywhere on the ship on your phone or other smart device. Once on board you will receive information in your cabin on how to set up Princess@Sea. From there you can access the internet. I visited the internet cafe and the staff set it all up for me. It's easy. Just remember to set your device in airplane mode and to sign out every time you use it. You can log on to the internet, then go to your e-mails and they will download, then disconnect from the internet to save minutes. You can also check your on board accounts, ship activities, and send messages to each other using Princess@Sea which is no charge.

What is the deal with the internet cafe?

It is there if you want it. There are desk top PC's. If you need to print you have to use one of the desk tops. I think printing is 50 cents a page.

I've read some terrible reviews on the internet over all. I only need it to check my work emails, is there even a point in getting it?

Will be slower than your experience.  

If it makes a difference we will be on the Star going from Vancouver to Hawaii.

Thanks!

See above.