Jewel hints

zogrand

We're traveling with NCL for the first time in years.  We'll be on Jewel.  Do you have any hints or suggestions that would be good for us to know - especially about the ship?  Any ideas would be appreciated!  Thanks!

We love the Jewel-class ships -- comfortable size, easy to get around.   Our favorite public spaces are the Spinnaker Lounge (forward-facing observation lounge, Deck 13) and the Great Outdoors (aft of the inside buffet).  The latter is not only a great spot for an outside meal, but also for just hanging out, reading, relaxing, shade or sun, your choice.   There used to be a Bridge Viewing Room, Deck 11 port side, all the way forward; it's not showing now on the deck plan, but take a walk up there and see if it's still there. (Perhaps a very recent cruiser will chime in on that.) 

When you embark, the staff will try direct you towards the buffet for lunch.  Don't go.  You can have a nice sit-down lunch in the larger MDR (the Tsar's Palace) and escape the first-day chaos of the buffet.

I hope that's helpful.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, herdingdogmom said:

We were on the Jewel on March 4.  The Bridge viewing room is still there on deck 11 port side.  

The 3 production shows were very good.

The deck plan shows the bridge viewing room spanning both sides.  Did something happen to the starboard side?

22 minutes ago, pbenjamin said:

The deck plan shows the bridge viewing room spanning both sides.  Did something happen to the starboard side?

On what web site are you seeing this deck plan?   On our prior sailings (the last in 2017), the Bridge Viewing Room was only on the port side, and the comment above from a recent cruiser confirms it still is.  (The Jewel deck plan on NCL’s own site does not show the Bridge Viewing Room at all, which is odd, especially since it does show it on the Gem deck plan.)

Edited by Turtles06

35 minutes ago, pbenjamin said:

No, nothing happened to the bridge viewing room.  The layout on the Jewel is exactly like it is on the Gem, Pearl and Jade.  Access by passengers is on the port side of deck 11 forward.  There is a glass window looking into the bridge.  Of course, the bridge itself spans across the entire front of the ship.

50 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

On what web site are you seeing this deck plan?   On our prior sailings (the last in 2017), the Bridge Viewing Room was only on the port side, and the comment above from a recent cruiser confirms it still is.  (The Jewel deck plan on NCL’s own site does not show the Bridge Viewing Room at all, which is odd, especially since it does show it on the Gem deck plan.)

51 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/deckbydeck.php?ship=Norwegian-Jewel&deck=11

From what I have read the entrance is on the port side. This doesn’t make that distinction. Now I understand. 

5 hours ago, pbenjamin said:

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/deckbydeck.php?ship=Norwegian-Jewel&deck=11

From what I have read the entrance is on the port side. This doesn’t make that distinction. Now I understand. 

The Bridge Viewing Room is not even shown on that deck plan.  Take a look at a deck plan for the Gem, and you’ll see where it is.  Not only is the entrance on the port side, but also it does not occupy space on the starboard side.  However, you can see into the Bridge, which of course spans the entire front of the ship as noted above. 

13 hours ago, zogrand said:

We're traveling with NCL for the first time in years.  We'll be on Jewel.  Do you have any hints or suggestions that would be good for us to know - especially about the ship?  Any ideas would be appreciated!  Thanks!

When are you traveling,  what is the itinerary?  I ask this because on our 12 day Singapore to Hong Kong, 3/4 to 3/16, my wife claimed the food was the best food ever.  We ate in La Bistro, Maderno and the Garden Cafe, never went to the MDR.  Also ate once in Chin Chin.  The food was the best Asian food we ever had, great variety and taste in the buffet, but don't know if you will have the same choices elsewhere.  We have done the Gem 5 times, found the Jewel very easy to navigate, great crew.  The only negative was the only tender stop at Ko Samui,  Thailand.  Was long and slow, ship left port 2 hours late.

3 hours ago, mugtech said:

When are you traveling,  what is the itinerary?  I ask this because on our 12 day Singapore to Hong Kong, 3/4 to 3/16, my wife claimed the food was the best food ever.  We ate in La Bistro, Maderno and the Garden Cafe, never went to the MDR.  Also ate once in Chin Chin.  The food was the best Asian food we ever had, great variety and taste in the buffet, but don't know if you will have the same choices elsewhere.  We have done the Gem 5 times, found the Jewel very easy to navigate, great crew.  The only negative was the only tender stop at Ko Samui,  Thailand.  Was long and slow, ship left port 2 hours late.

We're doing New Zealand r/t from Sydney in December of this year. Love good food, so hope we have the same experience as you!  Thanks!

40 minutes ago, zogrand said:

We're doing New Zealand r/t from Sydney in December of this year. Love good food, so hope we have the same experience as you!  Thanks!

We've booked after you on 1/3/2020 from Sydney to Auckland.  Looking forward to our trip down under.

• Like 1