REZZONICO PALACE (Venice)

zitsky

I did a search but can't find much info about this activity.  Has anyone done it along with the included walking tour?  (AT A GLANCE: ST. MARK’S SQUARE)

It looks like you can go back to the ship any time if you do the included tour and want to walk around.  I think my partner will enjoy walking around more than spending time in a museum.  I like museums.

Return to your ship at leisure via a complimentary shuttle boat from the landing pontoon next to Palazzo Cornoldi.

While I haven't been on this specific tour I have visited Venice. Venice is one of the most walk-able cities in the world. It's a series of small islands connected by bridges and pretty must impossible to get lost in. IMO the must see attraction is the Doge's Palace and the Secret Itinerary Tour. Besides the public parts of the palace, this guided tour takes you to the attic prison where Casanova was held and you hear how he escaped,  you walk across the the Bridge of Sighs, you see the torture chamber as well as the Doge's administration room where the scribes keep the records of all the families of Venice up until Napoleon conquered the city, and see the largest room in Europe, It's a combination art and history tour. Very fascinating.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

I have been to Venice before on a three day trip (not a cruise) and I absolutely second the Doge’s Palace and Secret Itinerary tour! You get to see more than on the regular Doge’s Palace tour.

I love Venice. It’s a beautiful city with so much to look at and see. Every cathedral is filled with paintings and sculptures by masters, the architecture is stunning, and wandering the streets is one of the best activities as you never know what hidden shop or corner you’ll stumble across next.   

Incidentally, I have also visited Ca’Rezzonico and it is a very nice museum. Fun fact (which I found out later), it was also a shooting locating for the James Bond film Moonraker! https://jamesbondlocations.blogspot.com/2016/05/draxs-venice-laboratory-ca-rezzonico.html?m=1

I’m not sure how long you’re in port for but I do recommend exploring a bit on your own in addition to any tour and DO go to St. Mark’s Square (right next to the Doge’s Palace). It will be pretty hard to get into the Basilica (could be in line for a couple hours depending on the time of day) but even seeing it from the outside and looking at the other architecture is great!

6 hours ago, old biddy said:

I think you will find the secret passage is closed for restoration until 2020. I may be wrong but I would check first before making any firm plans.

Where did you get this information?  I cannot find any confirmation of this statement online.

5 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Where did you get this information?  I cannot find any confirmation of this statement online.

6 hours ago, old biddy said:

I think you will find the secret passage is closed for restoration until 2020. I may be wrong but I would check first before making any firm plans.

Sorry didn't attach quotes!

21 hours ago, zitsky said:

I did a search but can't find much info about this activity.  Has anyone done it along with the included walking tour?  (AT A GLANCE: ST. MARK’S SQUARE)

It looks like you can go back to the ship any time if you do the included tour and want to walk around.  I think my partner will enjoy walking around more than spending time in a museum.  I like museums.

Return to your ship at leisure via a complimentary shuttle boat from the landing pontoon next to Palazzo Cornoldi.

Yes you can go back at any time and there is a shuttle boat.  Did the included tour and it does aquatint you with the area.  We were in V and our time for the included was 3:00 with an arrival in port at 12:00, so our first day we did that and then went to the ship for dinner and then out that evening to find our hotel to see how to transfer the next day.  Judging from a statement in this thread, it seems that you have scheduled no extra time in Venice.  I don't know if it's at the beginning or end of your cruise but that is a shame as coming at the end of the cruise, like ours, we really only had a half day in port as the last day was disembarking.  We stayed 3 more nights and were able to work in some Viator excursions and a day trip to Bologna before we departed but I think your schedule will be very limiting for extras.  You'll just have to figure out what you you can do, according to your time in interests. 

11 minutes ago, zitsky said:

We couldn't add time to both front Venice and back so we picked back, Barcelona.  We have evening and half day in Venice.

One of the most magical sights you'll see is St Mark's Square at night. There are orchestras playing at every corner for the outdoor restaurants. Venice after dark is such a different place after the day tourists leave. Be sure not to miss it.

BTW Viator offers some night tours of Venice (we took the "ghost" tour).  

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

We couldn't add time to both front Venice and back so we picked back, Barcelona.  We have evening and half day in Venice.

So, I assume you are starting in Venice and arriving the day the cruise starts.  Viking handling your air and transport?  Wondering when you arrive in Venice.  I'm sure the included will be the second day and you'll have the first day on your own.  The earlier you get there the more you can do.

I never really understood the going early or staying later as most people I knew were going to Caribbean and leaving and arriving from same port. Once I started cruising and it happen to be in Europe with different ports for arriving and departing the extra days always have made sense, as it was so far to get back and if you're going you might as well see while you're there.  You've had much more experience than I have in this area, I'm sure.  Including the cruise days we were in Barcelona for 5 days and could have probably spent 5 more.  Those options are too many to mention.

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Yes we fly in on day 1 of the cruise.  Maybe do gondola ride that night if we are not too jetlagged.  (Hmmm.)  Second day has a few activities before leaving at 3pm.

Viator does have a "Hidden Gems and Gondola ride tour" that does have an early evening departure.  It's not a 'private ride but the group will be small and then if you wanted to go to St Marks Square to see it at night that would be easy enough.  Don't know if the shuttle boat will be running the first day but the Vaperetto #1 will easily get you back on the Grand Canal to stop just past the train station and then it's just a short 1 or 2 block walk to the people mover to get you to the port.  Don't try to walk to port as it's very "over the river and through the woods" to get there, as we walked from the port to our hotel the first night and found the People Mover to be the way to go.

17 hours ago, zitsky said:

Yes we fly in on day 1 of the cruise.  Maybe do gondola ride that night if we are not too jetlagged.  (Hmmm.)  Second day has a few activities before leaving at 3pm.

Rather than Gondola ride, you might want to consider a 24 hour Vaporetto pass, which you can use to travel all around Venice, out to Lido, Murano and Burano (my favorite).  You'll see so much more than you will on a gondola and can hop on and off at will.

Edited by sarch99

Just now, sarch99 said:

Rather than Gondola ride, you might want to consider a 24 hour Vaporetto pass, which you can use to travel all around Venice, out to Lido, Murano and Burano (my favorite).  You'll see so much more than you will on a gondola and can hop on and off at will.

Bucket list, but I'll think about it.

• Like 1