Changing (shortening) our voyage?

2Oldpeopleinlove

As we sit in a Heathrow hotel awaiting our early morning flight back to New York, we see that two weeks was too long for this self-driving cathedral and pub tour, mostly because it's too long away from our newish rescue dog. The trouble is we've already booked our first QM2 round trip TA for December 2019. Maybe we're just getting old, but we'd rather just go for one week.

We booked with a very small deposit, so we're less concerned with losing it (though as I think about it, I believe it was even refundable) than we are with getting back to New York after voyaging east (I know that means losing hours, but it's our preference if we're going only one way since I NEVER sleep on airplanes).

So my main question is about something I saw discussed here, i think, about Cunard's being able and willing to arrange a cheap flight after a one-way TA. We need more than basic economy because of back problems...premium economy will do. But how do we go about finding out about that?

Also, should we just cancel and go looking for another shorter (one-way) TA for the same beginning date? Or is there a better way?

We'd appreciate any help and information anyone could provide as we have not travelled with Cunard before. We'll be offline until we get home after tonight, but I’ll hope for some ideas when we get home.

Thanks very much!

John and Jane

Both of my TAs have been one-way, and involved Cunard-organized flights on both ends (since I'm a flight away from NYC.) 

Call your travel agent (or Cunard directly, if you booked with them) and discuss your options. You're still far enough out that something should be able to be worked out. 

If you booked online, call Cunard directly. They've got folks whose job it is to do this sort of thing. (I've always booked directly with Cunard on the phone (since I was doing funky cruise+flight things both times.) 

You might lose some of your deposit, but they should be able to do something about that, too. 

With a December 2019 trip since you booked in the US you are not close the the penalty cancellation period. Call Cunard and cancel the round trip and book a one way. They can also quote you air fare for one way either direction. I recommend traveling westbound since it will give you 5-25hour days. I did some pricing on BA Premium Economy and it is very pricey from JFK (over $3300 per for BA), but I think that Cunard can easily beat that. 

we will certainly respond once we've gotten out from under laundry, etc. We've been back from the UK for only a day and a half.

i appreciate the suggestions about the kennel, but that won't be doable for us the first time. I'd really like some idea of what price range to ask for on the return flight before we call in a few days.

For coming back from London we have used Norwegian Airlines for our last to trips. They fly direct from Gatwick to NYC and Chicago O'Hare for $175 coach and $549 Business. With the business fair you also get access to the Club Lounge at Gatwick which includes a nice meal and open bar. 

Jack

Bigmike911 is right, when it comes to the discount airlines, Buyer Beware. In the short term, Norwegian airlines should be helped by the WOW shutdown. At this point, I would probably still fly them but I would recommend that each person do their own due diligence and make an informed decision.

Jack

Having checked into alternatives and seen that our little dog was perfectly happy at his B&B for two weeks, we have found that the round trip will be fine. It looks as if going one way and flying back would cost more in both money and aggravation than doing the round trip. So we will give ourselves permission to relax and enjoy it all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

Having checked into alternatives and seen that our little dog was perfectly happy at his B&B for two weeks, we have found that the round trip will be fine. It looks as if going one way and flying back would cost more in both money and aggravation than doing the round trip. So we will give ourselves permission to relax and enjoy it all.

I think you have made an excellent choice. You will find plenty to do, or not do as you choose. And you have to unpack and pack only once. 

Edited by Bigmike911

• 1 month later...

The link to our blog with the review on kennels was posted previously.

Consider a future trip to Europe with your dog, which is extremely dog friendly.  We’ve found it easy to find hotels that allow dogs, and most restaurants allow dogs inside.  And our Barley has never been denied boarding a train, ferry, tram, bus, gondola, etc. 

When in Southampton, go to the The Cowherds, a historic Pub.

• 2 weeks later...

No, haven’t heard of mighty paw.

we booked cheapest inside cabins and were upgraded to stateroom midship with balcony.   Prior to cruise we looked at the cost as really expensive plane tickets.   But when you consider you are staying in a 5 Star hotel, food included and (with transportation)for a week, actually not a bad deal.