Virgin Voyages Scarlet Lady

RMS Olympic

To my shock I just booked a 5 night cruise on the Scarlet Lady for my birthday in Sept 2020.

i was #18 on the original signup list and cancelled it because I felt i in no way fit the demographics. Well since I am interested in the ship,service and food, what the hell. If it’s all body beautiful, which I doubt, I’ll just sip my cocktails and enjoy all the scenery and attitude. 

I think I read somewhere there are drag servers onboard......oh My!!!  

Anyone else going to chance this new product?

Hi SC, I know what you mean. But for me it will be cooler considering the sea breeze. I’m just curious as to how successful this South Beach flavored line will be. I got my single windowed cabin assigned, so I’m red TA go.

• 2 months later...

I don’t have a big interest in it yet. Maybe, as more info is released, it will grow on me. I think I like the traditional lines and all that goes with it. Even the beds on this new ship looked strange. Lol

• Like 2

This ship is very hi-tech and seems to cater to younger crowds, based on their promotion materials. The price runs around $1600 for 5 nights cruise to Caribbean. From a business stand-point, it is not easy fill up all the cabins with the competitive cruise market today.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it interesting, if not a little sad, that you have concern about the "body beautiful" onboard. 

Sadly, this is why I dislike Virgin as a brand... They promote this young and beautiful world which makes many feel excluded or intimidated to book. Not saying that you are intimidated by it all, but the fact that you felt it warranted being mentioned so far before you even set foot onboard is sad. 

Same with the airline... All fur coat and no knickers, putting on a show with no real substance. 

I hope you enjoy it, but a ship I will never set foot onboard. 

• 1 month later...

To say my comments are sad sounds judgemental. 

I think the image that Virgin is promoting is just like any other cruise line ad on tv... I have yet to see an obese tattoo pierced person on ads... all trim and nicely dressed.All the Sandal resort ads on tv have buffed bodies....as if that’s reality.

I could care less as to what people look like... it’s attirude, rudeness and mean behavior with a sense of entitlement I can’t stand...... and these characteristics can be found on any cruise ship, and any cruise line.

So Im going.... gonna have a great time. 

Voyage # 90....... here I come 😁😁😁

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi RMS Olympic...not sure if this is of any interest, but bearcruise.com just announced a 5 night on the Scarlet Lady Oct 25, 2020 with an optional extension to celebrate Halloween in Ft Lauderdale post-cruise....I've sailed with Adventure Bears a few times, but never with a bearcruise.com group and really want to try this new ship so I'm booking...I'm 50 and will be happy with a group of fellow bears sailing along for the ride!

Hi aperrotta1969! Thanks for the posting. I’m booked on the Sept 13, 2020 five night sailing which is on my birthday week. 

I was originally concerned about demographics, but VV told me on the phone their average age on bookings is 51. So I’m comfy with trying this new ship, new cruise line. I was also told LGBTQ bookings are substantial.... guess the adult only lends itself to family cruisers.

As for bear cruises..... my only experience was on the first Caribbean sailing of the Royal Princess. Chumley bear cruises was onboard in great numbers. I was not part of the group but met many of the guys. 

I hope you give VV a try...... I’m going to plan on a great experience....if I don’t have a good time it will be my own fault.

ps... as a gym rat I’m hoping the equipment is superior... and eye candy is of high calorie contents 🤪😎🤓😝

Great! Our VV rep was in the office on Friday and he mentioned the average age of their cruisers as being in their 50s, so that was pretty cool. Please do post what you think of your Sept 2020 cruise since I will likely do the bear one in October and you seemed like a seasoned cruiser, so I'm certainly excited to hear your opinion! I love the idea of going to Bimini since I've never been, and a beach bonfire sounds awesome! Looking forward to hearing more as they reveal their restaurant and bar options and REALLY stoked about 18+ on board!!!

• 1 month later...

I think the concerns of not looking like the advertisement models is totally nothing to worry about.  It's exactly the same as Atlantis charter cruises, their ads are SOOOO skewed from the reality of who actually goes on them.  Granted, there are lots of beautiful worked out bodies and well preserved skin (especially the Caribbean departures from FL and CA, not as much the San Juan/Southern Caribbean), but a large percentage is the average Joe.  VV will be a highly diverse crowd, and as a brand, they are very open and welcoming.  

Hey days at sea.... agree with all your words. Made me think of the current Sandals tv ads.... people are young lean bodies.... no heavy set tattooed pierced people to be seen. Makes me wonder if people turn away from booking those resorts because of the image presented. 

As for VV.. the postings of the food that will be served on board looks fabulous and not for the calorie conscious ..... so I’m all in. Gym in the morning, champagne at noon and a feeding frenzy at night. 

Im ready to be wowed..... I survived the Atlantis attitude... I can survive anything.👹

I have heard there will be lots of loud music everywhere onboard, But that will not be known for sure until she starts sailing, I would have your TA inquire with Virgin if this is true. Personally, that would keep me far away from the ship but I am probably not their projected demographic.

I did not use my long standing TA..... booked directly with Virgin Voyages.

some of the lounges do not look like they would be filled with really loud music. If it’s disco....I’m in, 50’s....yeah baby. Jazz... you betcha. Latin..... give me a mohito! If it’s rap....I’ll sit outside under the stars with a cosmopolitan.

i am the furthest thing from the originally advertised demographic. if the average age booked so far is in the 50 age bracket....I’m beyond that. 

Im more at home on Princess, Windstar, Regent and Star Clippers. But this looks like a great way to spend my 68th birthday. 

So loud music won’t keep me away...... as Bette Davis said in Now Voyage.... we have the stars. So after I get over fed, over beverages, I’ll watch the stars.

or watch hotties.😈👹🤓

Edited by RMS Olympic
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Now that tv commercials are on... I’m recharged. Love that a seasoned Cruiser is at the end of the ad.... in the water with a tube. So much for the demographics. I’m even thinking of booking the Valiant Lady for a 2021 Med cruise. Barcelona is a good embarkation port....and a chance to return to Monte. Carlo........yes sir!

of course that’s if Virgin let’s me back on after the Scarlet Lady.

My wife and I are planning to book this cruise for September 2020. We are in our 50's and not model thin. This line appeals to us because it is children-free, eco-friendly,  and offers something different for those of us who have cruised a lot.  No ads show what real people look like. I'm excited for something different. 

Hi Flgrl67! 

From what the people at VV have told me the average age of people booking the Scarlet Lady is 50. So your right in the mix. So much for the original demographics when the line was announced. I’m sailing on the 13th of Sept...... maybe I’ll see you and wifey onboard 😎

Tom

• 2 weeks later...