Friends of Bill W.

Dinghy

I am wondering if cruise ships offer "Friends of Bill W." meetings. Please let me know if you have participated in meetings during your cruises. Meet anyone interesting this way?

Trudging the road to happy destiny.....

Meetings have been on every cruise I have taken on RCCL. A couple time I went there was not one other person at the meeting. Times on the last cruise would have meant I would have to been back on board the ship early from the port of calls in order to attend.

Lon

I've always seen them mentioned in the daily newsletters on all cruises I've been on. They are usually a conference room, game room, unused dining area, that sort of thing, occasionally a closed bar. Even if they did have them in a bar, a recovering alcoholic would be welcome into the bar, they serve more than alcohol there. It's up to the individual to stop drinking, they should not have to be policed by anyone else.

I have several friends who are recovering alcoholics and I don't stop having drinks in front of them. I'll still enjoy my wine with dinner and my occasional cocktail.

Hi Dinghy,

I'm 3 years sober, yes they have meetings, I went to see when I was on NCL Dawn. However, less than a handful showed up. I did use teh rooms my first few months but have gotten away. But haven't had any lapses.

The cruise setting is not an easy one, there is a lot of drinking. However, if you go with a good frame of mind and keep occupied you'll do just fine. (if this is indeed for you vs an acquaintance).

I worried a lot about it. Did drinking pass my thoughts, yes, but I looked at my family and said it isn't worth it. I do that each day.

I did indulge in a few cigars (I may smoke 6 in a year), which was my deal i made withe myself. I don't smoke cigarettes.(part of the reason I left the rooms, too smelly).

Good luck and be strong, I loved the cruise btw and hope to do more. It was fun watching people go overboard and think, I'm glad that isn't/wasn't me.:cool:

I just wanted to mention here that we had a party yesterday for my Son, celebrating his 1 year anniversary of Sobriety, He is still living in a Sober house at the moment.

This is something I did not think I would live long enough to see and it means so very much to me.

As other's have mentioned there are meetings on cruise ships but they may not be daily. On my last cruise on the triumph on 11/05 there were only 3 listed in the capers. Those of us who attended decided to make our our meetings in our cabins. On some cruises, I have went to the meeting place only to find on one else there. So bottom line, it is hit or miss.

Good for you Dinghy to look for the support you may want or need. Congratulations on your sobriety. I myself have 14 years of sobriety and thank God everyday for it. I have been on a couple of Princess cruises and noticed they have meetings but have never went to any of them. If you are planning a cruise maybe you could set up your own meeting by using these boards. Possibly no one attends the on board meetings because there are no leaders waiting for people to join in. There are probably more then 1 person walking by hoping for a meeting but see no one and don't wait. Only 1 person is really needed for a meeting anyway.

While I'm on the subject and this is a good place for venting...... The last cruise I booked gift was a free bottle of wine! I gave it away but why don't they offer something else for people that don't drink. To me it's very inconsiderate of the TAs.

Beth

Beth

I just returned from the Grand Princess a week ago and, according to the Pitter Patters I brought home, they were held once a day (mid-afternoon). They were all held in the Wedding Chapel with the exception of one day where it was in Skywalker's Nightclub (it's closed during the day). HTH!

Been on a few Princess's and there have been meetings on all. Now Princess automaticaly schedules meetings every day on every cruise, by policy. They said most other cruise lines are doing the same. Also, with ships getting larger, there are more people in the meetings. Actually, I really enjoy them (just over 2 years sober and 4th sober cruise coming up this weekend).

When we did the Transatlantic on Grand last fall (17 nights), one woman said her home group will never believe she went to meetings 16 days in a row, she has over 25 years and usually is a once a week home group type.

The comment that people will walk by and seeing no one, just keep walking is borne out in my experience. So, I plan on showing up a few minutes early for the first one and stay for a while, over 15-20 minutes, the group builds.

A side benefit is I then know people all around the ship by the end of the cruise, many more than my wife will know. And who better for me to to hang at the bar with to watch an entertainer or just kick back?!?

The Friends of Dorothy is a meeting for gays and lesbians.

I am not sure where you get your info from, or perhaps you are being a bit

sarcastic....

Friends of Dorothy meetings are AL Anon meetings

Dorothy being the first name of Bill W. 's wife

FYI

I am not sure where you get your info from, or perhaps you are being a bit

sarcastic....

Friends of Dorothy meetings are AL Anon meetings

Dorothy being the first name of Bill W. 's wife

FYI

Sorry, nef, here's a link to "Friends of Dorothy" on Google Chose any of the links, it's Gay and Lesbian meetings.

Named for Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, played by Judy Garland, a famous Gay icon.

Archived