Upgrading 250 mins wifi to unlimited - lower price later on?

erdoran

I vaguely remember that the price for unlimited wifi on my last summer Bliss Alaska cruise was slightly lower a couple of days in.  I’m doing a 14 day Jade TA and wondering (if I can stand it) if I don’t upgrade until a couple of days in, if the price will be lower.  I’ll be upgrading my perk free 250 mins.  And if I have actuallly used those free minutes can I still get the upgrade credit?

Restating question more clearly - given the combination of 250 free mins upgrading to unlimited, what’s the most cost-effective strategy?

TIA

It can vary per sailing. But from my experience upgrading is allowed till 2nd day of cruise.  So potential savings of one day worth if you hold off on use.  I’ve never asked about any further discount on the bonus lattitude mins but have read accounts of a slight additional discount on that. Wouldn’t hurt to ask. 

10% discount for prepurchase so weighing the actual $ value of internet perk vs switching to another perk on longer sailings might be a consideration. 250 perk gets $125 off non discount rate.  Pre purchase gets 10% off.  250 minute perk on a 14 night worth about $82 compared to discount pre purchase.

We did a recent 15 days (14 nights) on the Escape recently, thus the unlimited plan's daily rates were lowered than the typical sailing of 5, 7, and 10 or even 12 days where it is (was) $30 for non-streaming and $35 for VPN & streaming; and, you get a trade-up credit of $125 for having a "free" 250 minutes plan.  On longer sailings like ours - prices were $25 or $30, respectively, for the unlimited/premium plans - AND - you have up to 10 p.m. of Day 4 to do this, instead of 10 p.m. on Day 2.  

If you purchase and trade-up on Day 4 (we did not do this) - I believe you are only charge for 10 days x $25 or $30, depending on the package option you choose - thus $250 or $300, less a $125 "credit" for the 250 minutes, with a net "cost" of $125 or $175 ... and, if you have other (non)-refundable OBC to use or apply to offset, it is one way to soften the "bites" on the wallet, as there are usually 4 or 5 full sea days eastbound on a T/A before the first port stop, depending on the itinerary route(s).  

One of our nieces did a T/A last year on the Jade and another friend will be on the GA next month going T/A with others - they are considering it as well, and will probably split it with another cabin, taking turns - one device at a time.  

Collage 2019-01-08 21_57_14.jpg

Noticed the price difference - stop by the iCafe on embarkation day to pick up the tip sheets & this printout, and there will be a notice about the deadline to sign-up & trade to the unlimited plan, easy DIY once you log into your account, pretty self-explanatory. 

Disclaimers .... prices are subject to change & offer terms, with & without advance notices, use this as a guide.  Satellite coverage on the Atlantic is subject to limitations and expect to sail across poor/dead zones with little to no coverage at times ... it's not like that anyone can guarantee or assure of mostly 95% & better coverage.  

Edited by mking8288