Mystras -Monemvasia

Howardm507

We are considering which excursion to take in/from Monemvasia. Is the 90 minute bus ride to Mystras worthwhile or is there a better option/use of time for our day in Monemvasia on our first port call of the Cruise? 

Monemvasia is a beautiful medieval town on the promontory across the causeway from the mainland.  It is beautiful and has a truly memorable setting.  It is a tough choice. If you choose it, don't make the mistake that some people make and stay near the tender port.  The town you tender into is called Gefira and it is just a simple beach town with nothing of interest.  You cannot see Monemvasia from Gefira because it is on the far side of the promontory.  You must go to Monemvasia either on an excursion, or by foot, or by taking the little town bus (1.5 euros R/T? for a 5 minute ride) that stops at the end of the causeway, just behind the parking lot by the tender dock.  (The bus makes a U-turn right after you get on to go back on the causeway. Don't worry if it is facing the other way.)

Having said all that, Mystras is one of the top 5-star sites in Greece.  IMO it is a must see.  If your cruise stops in Gythio, I would say to go from there because it is closer to Mystras.  If you choose to go to Mystras from Monemvasia, make sure you go an excursion that goes there only.  I would not waste time on an excursion that added Sparta.  The ruins are not much to see and the town of Sparta itself is not attractive.  The extra time you would have spent in Sparta is better spent, if possible, by taking the little bus to Monemvasia when you return to port.  

Which cruise are you on?

And welcome to CC!

Edited by marazul

I agree with most of what Marazul has said. Monemvasia is a beautiful gem of a place. You can usually see it fairly well from where ships anchor to tender passengers in. It's relatively small but charming to wander in. I've been there twice and still didn't make it to the upper town (very steep path) and a supposedly very beautiful and old church.

I waited for a stop in Gythion to visit Mystras and Sparta. I will say that I enjoyed seeing Sparta, but then I am an unredeemed ancient history fanatic and just to see the place was worth it to me. (Also, I'm good at interpreting even very ruined and scanty ruins...)

Cruisemom - you are more of a ruins expert than I am, especially the very ruined!  😉

But my suggestion stands.  If the OP takes an excursion that goes only to Mystras, it could give them time to visit Monemvasia at the end.  (Just get off the tour bus and go across the causeway on foot or by the little bus.) That would let them take full advantage of the Monemvasia port day.  Non-ruins experts are more likely to enjoy Monemvasia than Sparta.  It would be a shame to miss it, since it is not the easiest place to get to on a land trip.  

Hopefully, they have the option go to Mystras from Gythion so they can visit more places.

Edited by marazul

11 hours ago, Howardm507 said:

Hi all. This is fantastic information. Thank you so much..! We are taking the Seabourn Odyssey from Athens to Venice in mid August.  

Howardm - I was on that same cruise last year.  Search the Seabourn board for more notes on the ports.  Only one port was changed from last year's itinerary.  Here is a link to my notes:

Edited by marazul