Vessel requires your stateroom?

sha88

Hi, all. I as wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I made reservations a couple of months ago for a September cruise on the Empress. I requested Stateroom 3513 and got it. A couple of days ago I received an email saying that the stateroom had been changed, but no reason why. So, I called, and they had to change it because the "Vessel requires stateroom 3513."

They could not offer any reason why it was needed. Just wondering has this happened to anyone else and any insight why a ship would need a stateroom instead of selling it? My husband figures they sold it as part of a group who wanted that area, but I am not so sure and if he is right, I don't think that is very fair.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has had this experience and what is the "real" reason if any.

SHA

Happy to cruise any time, any ship, any stateroom, just wish I had the money! :)

In sum, the one word that describes 95% of all human intercourse, money. And since corporations and inanimate objects are incapable of the human intercourse of anykind, and those that run dorporations and inanimate objects do not love you, I'd guess that the cruise line can make extra money by accomodating someone else, since they are counting on you not to cancel because of the inconvenience.

From reading these boards it seems that veteran cruisers can be pushed around because as they say, a bad cruise is better than a good day on land. With that attitude, the cruise lines will take advantage. However, new cruisers, or veteran cruisers trying a new cruise line have a certain amount of leverage.

Newbies are choosong a cruise as a generic product when weighing vacation options. Veteran cruisers are merely weighing which ship or itinerary. Cruiselines know this and seek to placate the newbie because they already own the vet.

In sum, the one word that describes 95% of all human intercourse, money. And since corporations and inanimate objects are incapable of the human intercourse of anykind, and those that run dorporations and inanimate objects do not love you, I'd guess that the cruise line can make extra money by accomodating someone else, since they are counting on you not to cancel because of the inconvenience.

From reading these boards it seems that veteran cruisers can be pushed around because as they say, a bad cruise is better than a good day on land. With that attitude, the cruise lines will take advantage. However, new cruisers, or veteran cruisers trying a new cruise line have a certain amount of leverage.

Newbies are choosong a cruise as a generic product when weighing vacation options. Veteran cruisers are merely weighing which ship or itinerary. Cruiselines know this and seek to placate the newbie because they already own the vet.

Hi, Captain. I figure you are so right on this. This is only our second cruise, and as you say, I really had no recourse so I had to accept another cabin assignment, but it leaves a bad feeling with me. Next time I may not be so fast to book on RCCL. There are other options, but guess it could happen on any line. Like you say, money talks and corporations are about making as much of it as they can.

Captain Crunch has made some very valid points, but don't put all veteran cruisers in one "basket". I've been on 42 cruises with about 10-12 different cruise lines and you'd better believe that they don't dare to try and push me around. If there's any "pushing" to do, it's usually me that does the pushing.

A couple of years ago I was booked on a cruise (won't mention the line) and I had an cabin with verandah. I got the "phone call" asking, not demanding,

if we would give up our cabin because the cruise line "needed it". I told them that I would be "delighted" to give up my reserved cabin ONLY if I was upgraded to a mini-suite or penthouse suite. Lo and behold, we got a penthouse suite with a butler and concierge service. So, don't let them give you any baloney, and DEMAND compensation to your satisfaction. One thing I'm sure you all know is that cruise lines DO NOT like to refund money....upgrades, on board credits, are available, but MONEY they guard like it's Fort Knox. Stand your ground and don't let them buffalo you!!!! ;)

Just out of curiosity, to what cabin did they move you? Is it a downgrade? Is it an inferior cabin?

Enquiring minds want to know.

What we liked about 3513 is that it is located very forward (which we like) and did not have cabins on either side. The moved us to mid ship, another interior cabin, but for us not as desirable. It just irks me that I made these reservations one year in advance in order to guarantee that we would get the cabin we requested.

When my husband called (after I did), he requested an upgrade to at least an oceanview on the same deck, but was pretty much told no way that was gonna happen.

If my stateroom is in demand for someone else that I have a deposit on, then the cruise line will upgrade me for the inconvenience for housing a performer or group booking. So be sure to state that or they cannot have your stateroom...........

In sum, the one word that describes 95% of all human intercourse, money. And since corporations and inanimate objects are incapable of the human intercourse of any kind, and those that run dorporations and inanimate objects do not love you, I'd guess that the cruise line can make extra money by accomodating someone else, since they are counting on you not to cancel because of the inconvenience.

What we liked about 3513 is that it is located very forward (which we like) and did not have cabins on either side. The moved us to mid ship, another interior cabin, but for us not as desirable. It just irks me that I made these reservations one year in advance in order to guarantee that we would get the cabin we requested.

When my husband called (after I did), he requested an upgrade to at least an oceanview on the same deck, but was pretty much told no way that was gonna happen.

They would lose my business, for ever, for that. And I would always tell that story.

Much as I always tell my horror stories with my nondearly departed Dodge Grand Caravan. Everytime a buy a new car I write Chrysler and tell them how much I just spent on a a new car and didn't even consider their products.

Captain Crunch has made some very valid points, but don't put all veteran cruisers in one "basket". I've been on 42 cruises with about 10-12 different cruise lines and you'd better believe that they don't dare to try and push me around. If there's any "pushing" to do, it's usually me that does the pushing.

A couple of years ago I was booked on a cruise (won't mention the line) and I had an cabin with verandah. I got the "phone call" asking, not demanding,

if we would give up our cabin because the cruise line "needed it". I told them that I would be "delighted" to give up my reserved cabin ONLY if I was upgraded to a mini-suite or penthouse suite. Lo and behold, we got a penthouse suite with a butler and concierge service. So, don't let them give you any baloney, and DEMAND compensation to your satisfaction. One thing I'm sure you all know is that cruise lines DO NOT like to refund money....upgrades, on board credits, are available, but MONEY they guard like it's Fort Knox. Stand your ground and don't let them buffalo you!!!! ;)

We didn't even get a phone call. We got an email telling us of the change and never were we asked if the change would be okay with us. As I previously posted, my husband tried to get an upgrade, but was refused.

Okay, after reading some of the posts here, I may try again to get something in return. They've had our deposit money for a long time now and I am not too happy with the turn of events, but feel like we were taken advantage of and no one likes that feeling.

Could it be that the room in question is handicapped accessible or holds three or four passengers? In those cases, it might be that there were passengers who required that type of room. I do think that you should have been given a better explanation than you received and probably should ask your travel agent to make an effort to find out the reason for the change, or at least some sort of amenity to make up for their action. If you booked directly with RCI, the lack of a satisfactory explanation may be that you are frequently at the mercy of whomever answers your call. The quality of the customer service reps can differ dramatically and some will go the extra mile to find out the answer to your question, while others will give you whatever reason that comes to mind without bothering to investigate the facts of the situation.

Could it be that the room in question is handicapped accessible or holds three or four passengers? In those cases, it might be that there were passengers who required that type of room. I do think that you should have been given a better explanation than you received and probably should ask your travel agent to make an effort to find out the reason for the change, or at least some sort of amenity to make up for their action. If you booked directly with RCI, the lack of a satisfactory explanation may be that you are frequently at the mercy of whomever answers your call. The quality of the customer service reps can differ dramatically and some will go the extra mile to find out the answer to your question, while others will give you whatever reason that comes to mind without bothering to investigate the facts of the situation.

3513 is not a handicap stateroom, if it does hold 3 or 4 pax, that is insufficient rational for the cabin switch.

3513 is not a handicap stateroom, if it does hold 3 or 4 pax, that is insufficient rational for the cabin switch.

It might be, if there are customers who need such a cabin and there are only two people booked into that cabin, and no other rooms are available that will hold four. However, in such cases, there should have been some advance notice and some compensation to the people being moved. It appears that this didn't happen and that the whole matter was not handled appropriately.

3513 is not a handicap stateroom, if it does hold 3 or 4 pax, that is insufficient rational for the cabin switch

That actually is a very logical reason for changing someone's cabin and I have read of it happening fairly often. You can ask for an upgrade, but all they really have to do is give you a comparable cabin. People might not like it or think it is "fair", but it does make sense.

Only with cruise lines could something like this happen and their customers defend such actions.

When the airlines change someone's seat because of an equipement change (or whatever the reason might be) people go balistic. A cruise line pulls a reserved cabin with no explanation other than, "we need/want the cabin" and all of the sudden it's something like, "happens all the time," or "it's within their rights," or "nothing you can do about it so you might as well take your lumps and enjoy your vacation."

I suppose if I was in a handicap cabin and I'm not handicapped, then I wouldn't find it objectionable. Sort of like parking in a handicap parking space when I don't need it. But to have a reserved cabin pulled just because the cruise line wants to do it, well, I find that exceptionally poor customer service/relations and unacceptable behavior.

It's to bad that customer service on the ship and the service we receive when we're not on the ship are so different from each other.

That actually is a very logical reason for changing someone's cabin and I have read of it happening fairly often. You can ask for an upgrade, but all they really have to do is give you a comparable cabin. People might not like it or think it is "fair", but it does make sense.

They know how to make a reservation, the problem is they don't know how to keep a reservation.

It doesn't make sense, it makes cents.

I solved my problem. I cancelled the cruise (trust me, they didn't seem to care). I guess I really wanted the room we had originally chosen or at the very least been given more than the "Vessel requires that stateroom" reason.

We will cruise in October instead. Found out that I have a coupon for $65 savings for the same cruise but in October, so heck, same cruise, less money and a cabin of my choice (hopefullyl :rolleyes: ). Guess I am happy now. My husband sure is. He loves to hear we are saving money.

Can't give up on RCCL tho, we had such a terrific experience on the Grandeur last summer and hey, ***** happens, right?

Thank you all for sharing on this thread. I really count on getting such great info on this board!

Okay, gotta go and get ready for the Steeler game. Go STEELERS!

Without knowing why RCCL needed your cabin it is hard to say whether they were being a greedy corporation or one that simply felt it wasn't a big deal to move you and they had a good reason. Perhaps the cabin is now scheduled for some sort of maintenance/upgrade? Glad to see you've done what your heart felt should be done but unless RCCL gave you a downgrade or refused access to the ship I'm not sure I'd get too worked up about it.

As a side note, did you book directly with RCCL or through a TA?

Only with cruise lines could something like this happen and their customers defend such actions.

My response was not defending anyone's actions, at least it wasn't intended to be. I think it is important that people know what can and sometimes does happen, whether it be having your cabin switched or missing a scheduled port. Perhaps if someone knows that 2 people may be moved out of a cabin that can accomodate 3, they won't feel so blindsided if it happens to them. Obviously, I have no clue if this is what happened to the original poster and they handled the situation in the manner that was important to them. Since I am aware of some of the less than pleasant situations people sometimes find themselves in regarding their cruise...I can make a better decision on how I personally would choose to handle the problems, should any arise.

Archived