Remote Desktop from Ship WiFi

This is a question for the computer savvy people.  I have asked the people with NCL and they were not sure.  I know it is not fast and I will have to work late at night or early in the morning.  Can I remote desktop into my server back at work with the ship WiFi or will they block the stream?  

P.S.  I will be on the Norwegian Getaway doing the Trans-Atlantic cruise

RDP or Remote  Desktop Protocol is TCP/IP port 3389 by default.  Some people use alternate ports to access more than one PC behind their edgerouter that's assigned a single IP.

In any case, this is not blocked but your results will vary by time of the day.

Cheers,

Norman

1 hour ago, NormanW said:

RDP or Remote  Desktop Protocol is TCP/IP port 3389 by default.  Some people use alternate ports to access more than one PC behind their edgerouter that's assigned a single IP.

In any case, this is not blocked but your results will vary by time of the day.

Cheers,

Norman

Thank you Norman,  We use Remote Top Gateway to get to my development server.  I get up at 5:00 am on a normal day so I am guessing at 5:00 am the ship will not be transmitting data and people on the ship are not up using data.

Remote Desktop will work but you need to purchase the most expenses unlimited  package. If you received a internet package when booking, that package will not work and will need to upgrade to unlimited.

8 hours ago, MikeAndNick said:

This is a question for the computer savvy people.  I have asked the people with NCL and they were not sure.  I know it is not fast and I will have to work late at night or early in the morning.  Can I remote desktop into my server back at work with the ship WiFi or will they block the stream?  

P.S.  I will be on the Norwegian Getaway doing the Trans-Atlantic cruise

Your Internet speed will be fine early in the morning and late at night, but NCL may have the ports blocked. I got over 10MB download and 1.5 MB upload on Getaway in December. Until you get on board you won't get a good answer about the ports.

5 hours ago, tgloersen said:

I echo baron9 as i can use VPN and RDP Protocal but the most expensive package is needed.

When I was unable to use VPN it was on the included minutes so this makes sense.

Ditto cksv re: 800ms ping times.

You're going over a SATCOM link no matter where the ship is so you're subject to all kinds of latency issues.  Remote Desktop in Windows can handle it but it'll be SLOW and I doubt you'll be able to accomplish any serious work in this fashion due to the latency issues caused by a SATCOM link.

You may get better results depending on the time of day but also keep in mind that you're sharing the satellite with mission-critical ships communications & that may "grab" bandwidth.

I'd wait till I get into port somewhere then go to an Internet Cafe & use their WiFi.

I'm pretty sure I've done remote desktop in the last year or two on an NCL ship, but in the Caribbean, not on a TA. And with the premium unlimited internet plan in early morning.

Not NCL but I have for sure done it on Royal Caribbean and their streaming voom with pretty good results. 

18 hours ago, MikeAndNick said:

Thank you Norman,  We use Remote Top Gateway to get to my development server.  I get up at 5:00 am on a normal day so I am guessing at 5:00 am the ship will not be transmitting data and people on the ship are not up using data.

Yes we call it Facebook O'clock.  😉

MRTG plots clearly show when the majority of hogs are sleeping and awake.

Cheers,

Norman

• 2 months later...

I am back from my Trans-Atlantic Cruise and I can give you how things went with the WiFi.  Norwegian Cruise Lines has different packages where you pay more for more bandwidth.  I purchased the unlimited package with the most bandwidth.  I worked with someone else on the cruise to split the cost.  We were cruising from New York to London.  I used the WifFi most of the time late at night and early in the morning.  Here is what I found:

1. In the middle of the Atlantic ocean we lost almost all bandwidth for one day
  2. At 3 am to 6 am I had lots of bandwidth and was able to remote into my servers at work and run anything without any delays.
  3. At 12:00 am to 1:30 am the ship was running their batch jobs and I was not able to do anything other than light internet.
  4. From 9:00 pm to 8:00 am I was able to use Skype for Business to phone home and talk to my son with no delays.
  5. During the day the person I shared with used the WiFi for his business and had no problems with internet, mail and IP Phone calls.  He had his iPhone on WiFi calling and was able to make calls all day.

Hope this helps someone else.  In September I cruise from Canada to Japan and will update on how Celebrity WiFi works.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Between 2012 and last year, every cruise I went on I used the internet and accessed a server using VPN.

there would be occasional busy times when it was a problem (yes, Facebook time) but generally it worked well.

i always got the unlimited package, but the majority of these were before they introduced the different tiers. I can’t recall offhand whether, once they introduced them, I got the middle of higher tier.