Haven on the Pearl

sharonann24

Hi--just wondering what the Haven is like on the Pearl and whether it is worth it.  We have been in the Haven twice on the Breakaway and that was a definite plus, especially with the restaurant.  I just got an upgrade offer and not sure I want to pursue it.  Love to hear from anyone who has experienced the Pearl Haven.  I also don't see a lot of posts about the Pearl.  We are on the June 22 cruise--Spain, France and Italy.

The Haven on the Pearl is a small area with a plunge pool and hot tub. They have

a small table set up with coffee, tea, water and a few snacks. There is no restaurant

but you can order a meal and have it brought to you at one of the few small tables

in the courtyard. There is no bar but you can order a cocktail. They have one

crew member serving the area.

Edited by Peachypooh
  • Like 1

The "plunge pool" is a swim-against-the-current endless lap exercise pool.  Along with similar Haven pools on the Pearl's two sister ships, it is the only place to get in a real swim in the entire NCL fleet.  The "one crew member" is the Haven Butler, who will bring you just abouut anything and set up breakfast and or lunch for you in the Haven. 

Edited by FLAHAM

13 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

The "plunge pool" is a swim-against-the-current endless lap exercise pool.  Along with similar Haven pools on the Pearl's two sister ships, it is the only place to get in a real swim in the entire NCL fleet.  The "one crew member" is the Haven Butler, who will bring you just abouut anything and set up breakfast and or lunch for you in the Haven. 

All three times we sailed on the Pearl there was nobody swimming against the current nor was it pointed out

to me that it was even an option. You might have been served by a butler in the Pearl haven but the

crew member (same one each time) we talked to said he was up for promotion to butler hence my description.

A suite gets the same dining privileges as the courtyard area staterooms.  Unless you really feel like you would use the courtyard, it might not be worth the difference in cost.  It's not the same kind of Haven experience that you would have on the Breakaway.  I've had suites on Dawn, Jade and Pearl and it's still a great experience without the courtyard. I've done the Haven on the Epic a couple of times as well and it is an even better experience because of the restaurant and bar area. 

Edited to add:  This is it

Edited by CherWolf

Thanks.  My feeling is that we will stay in our mini suite and put our "savings" towards the excursions.

My last question is how congested the sun deck gets on sea days?  We do have two.  My husband does not like a tremendous amount of sun, but I do enjoy it.  Since the Pearl is a smaller ship I am hoping it won't be as crowded as the Breakaway was.

1 hour ago, sharonann24 said:

Thanks.  My feeling is that we will stay in our mini suite and put our "savings" towards the excursions.

My last question is how congested the sun deck gets on sea days?  We do have two.  My husband does not like a tremendous amount of sun, but I do enjoy it.  Since the Pearl is a smaller ship I am hoping it won't be as crowded as the Breakaway was.

Are you referring to the Haven sundeck that you access via stairs from the Haven area?

In my experience it doesn't get crowded at all on sea days as it can get very windy.

Never tried to go there on port days so I will let someone answer that.

On 4/3/2019 at 3:36 PM, sharonann24 said:

Hi--just wondering what the Haven is like on the Pearl and whether it is worth it.  We have been in the Haven twice on the Breakaway and that was a definite plus, especially with the restaurant.  I just got an upgrade offer and not sure I want to pursue it.  Love to hear from anyone who has experienced the Pearl Haven.  I also don't see a lot of posts about the Pearl.  We are on the June 22 cruise--Spain, France and Italy.

Nope, not worth it.  Too small for the huge amount of money they want.

We've done the Haven on the Pearl and the Jewel many times...and love it.  I will add, though, that we've been in the suites that are NOT specifically located right around the courtyard, cause that part doesn't matter to us.  We choose the Haven for the other amenities...butler, concierge, room service options, and the suite breakfasts and lunches (which are served in Moderno).  

Also, we prefer the smaller ships...which is another factor for us.

So, I'd say it's a really a question of what type of cruise experience you're looking for.

Hope this is helpful...! 🙂 

On 4/3/2019 at 6:36 PM, sharonann24 said:

On the same sailing. In a haven 2 bedroom suite. Everything else is sold out only one cabin available 14014 courtyard penthouse. All other haven cabins are fully sold

2 hours ago, Yo Adrienne said:

We've done the Haven on the Pearl and the Jewel many times...and love it.  I will add, though, that we've been in the suites that are NOT specifically located right around the courtyard, cause that part doesn't matter to us.  We choose the Haven for the other amenities...butler, concierge, room service options, and the suite breakfasts and lunches (which are served in Moderno).  

Also, we prefer the smaller ships...which is another factor for us.

So, I'd say it's a really a question of what type of cruise experience you're looking for.

Hope this is helpful...! 🙂 

You do realize that non-haven suites also get butler and concierge service, room service options and breakfast and lunch in an exclusive venue right?  In other words you specifically say you book the haven for amenities that ALL suites receive.  You sound confused and from your post I don't think you actually book haven suites.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Love my butler said:

You do realize that non-haven suites also get butler and concierge service, room service options and breakfast and lunch in an exclusive venue right?  In other words you specifically say you book the haven for amenities that ALL suites receive.  You sound confused and from your post I don't think you actually book haven suites.

Haven amenities...https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/cruise-accommodations//the-haven

Edited by Yo Adrienne
typo

27 minutes ago, Yo Adrienne said:

On 4/3/2019 at 5:36 PM, sharonann24 said:

4 hours ago, Love my butler said:

Not confused a bit...! 🙂  I was merely pointing out that on the smaller ships, like the Pearl and the Jewel, there are suites that are not physically attached to the Haven courtyard that also receive the Haven amenities...for example, the owners suites and penthouse suites that are on decks 10 and 9.  

Having stayed in those suites on deck 10 (my credit card statement and travel agent can attest to the fact that I speak from experience 🙂 ), I can say that we didn't feel the need to be physically connected to the Haven courtyard--because we received all of the Haven amenities--including access to the courtyard.  Because there's no Haven restaurant on the Pearl, there's a designated specialty restaurant that does the suite breakfasts and lunches (Moderno).  And because we prefer the smaller ships, we've loved our Haven experiences.

But, if having a larger pool and actual restaurant IN the Haven courtyard is important to the original poster, then they might be disappointed with the Haven on the Pearl, as compared to the Breakaway.  It all depends on what kind of an experience the original poster is looking to have.  

HI!  Thanks for all of the responses and feedback.  We loved the Haven restaurant and bar, as well as the sundeck.  We are going to remain with our mini suite and try the non Haven experience.  Plus, the whole point of this trip is the wonderful port itinerary.  Looking forward to the experience.

12 hours ago, Yo Adrienne said:

I can say that we didn't feel the need to be physically connected to the Haven courtyard--because we received all of the Haven amenities--including access to the courtyard.  Because there's no Haven restaurant on the Pearl, there's a designated specialty restaurant that does the suite breakfasts and lunches (Moderno).  And because we prefer the smaller ships, we've loved our Haven experiences.

Normally the penthouses don't have access to the courtyard on the smaller ships. I know it has been done and that passengers booked in the Haven were NOT happy about it!

4 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Normally the penthouses don't have access to the courtyard on the smaller ships. I know it has been done and that passengers booked in the Haven were NOT happy about it!

Interesting...!  I wonder if it depends on the actual penthouse suite category...(SE vs. SF)...?  There are four forward penthouse suites on deck 10...and when we were last in the owners suite next to them, we met a number of those passengers at the suite breakfasts and lunches in Moderno, so clearly they had access. 

Thank you and a good thing to keep in when selecting for future cruises...! 🙂 

59 minutes ago, Yo Adrienne said:

Interesting...!  I wonder if it depends on the actual penthouse suite category...(SE vs. SF)...?  There are four forward penthouse suites on deck 10...and when we were last in the owners suite next to them, we met a number of those passengers at the suite breakfasts and lunches in Moderno, so clearly they had access. 

Thank you and a good thing to keep in when selecting for future cruises...! 🙂 

Access to breakfast and lunch in Moderno, YES.

Access to the courtyard, normally NO.

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

Access to breakfast and lunch in Moderno, YES.

Access to the courtyard, normally NO.

VERY interesting...!  Thank you...I didn't realize that they made a distinction like that...! 🙂 

4 minutes ago, Yo Adrienne said:

VERY interesting...!  Thank you...I didn't realize that they made a distinction like that...! 🙂 

If the suite has a "code" starting with H they have Havenaccess. ( For example the ownersuites on the Pearl, H3.)

If the code is starting with S they have access to breakfast and lunch in Moderno but normally not access to the Haven. ( For example the forward penthouses you mentioned, SE.)

20 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

If the suite has a "code" starting with H they have Havenaccess. ( For example the ownersuites on the Pearl, H3.)

If the code is starting with S they have access to breakfast and lunch in Moderno but normally not access to the Haven. ( For example the forward penthouses you mentioned, SE.)

Wow...thank you, I didn't realize that...! 🙂 

On 4/6/2019 at 4:39 PM, Yo Adrienne said:

Not confused a bit...! 🙂  

And because we prefer the smaller ships, we've loved our Haven experiences.

Well, your language is confusing.  What you mean to say is you love your SUITE experiences.

On 4/6/2019 at 4:39 PM, Yo Adrienne said:

Just finished a Haven H4 trip 2 weeks ago on the Jade, same layout, colours a bit different than the Pearl.  The one thing that stood out is that it felt intimate and uncrowded.  The courtyard attendant was wonderful, sure you don't have a dedicated bar but during the day he made sure you had what you needed from the Mojito Bar  and food also, using the menus from the Suite/Haven restaurants he'd bring you those up to the courtyard tables also which unlike in the picture are set up with linen and and cutlery from early to late afternoon. Evenings you were on your own. Lunch was from Cagney's...directly below the Haven, and breakfast at Moderno's also directly below. No more than a 60 second walk. Unless you ordered food through the butler, then he would set you up with nice linen on the table in your suite or Balcony.    Fixed menu but everything you ordered was made hot, and they never had issues going outside the limits of the menu for a request.  And the lunch prawn cocktail comes with 4 vs the up charged (4.99) prawn cocktail with the dining package that only has 3.   Never more than a dozen people in the restaurants for any meal and we had a full ship.  The "lap pool" however wasn't working and the butler mentioned that once they break the chance of getting them fixed is almost none.  I haven't done Haven in the big ships and probably won't as those ships are about as attractive to me as herpes.  The Jewel class are at my limit for dealing with crowds. 

_MG_0578.jpg

_MG_0576.jpg

_MG_0565.jpg

Edited by Aesop081

5 hours ago, Aesop081 said:

Just finished a Haven H4 trip 2 weeks ago on the Jade, same layout, colours a bit different than the Pearl.  The one thing that stood out is that it felt intimate and uncrowded.  The courtyard attendant was wonderful, sure you don't have a dedicated bar but during the day he made sure you had what you needed from the Mojito Bar  and food also, using the menus from the Suite/Haven restaurants he'd bring you those up to the courtyard tables also which unlike in the picture are set up with linen and and cutlery from early to late afternoon. Evenings you were on your own. Lunch was from Cagney's...directly below the Haven, and breakfast at Moderno's also directly below. No more than a 60 second walk. Unless you ordered food through the butler, then he would set you up with nice linen on the table in your suite or Balcony.    Fixed menu but everything you ordered was made hot, and they never had issues going outside the limits of the menu for a request.  And the lunch prawn cocktail comes with 4 vs the up charged (4.99) prawn cocktail with the dining package that only has 3.   Never more than a dozen people in the restaurants for any meal and we had a full ship.  The "lap pool" however wasn't working and the butler mentioned that once they break the chance of getting them fixed is almost none.  I haven't done Haven in the big ships and probably won't as those ships are about as attractive to me as herpes.  The Jewel class are at my limit for dealing with crowds. 

_MG_0578.jpg

_MG_0576.jpg

_MG_0565.jpg

Great post and great photos! Going on pearl in H4 soon, can’t wait. Did you find Anything else interesting about it? I was previously on breakaway with dedicated haven restaurant, lounge and bar so it will be quite different. 

11 hours ago, josephw830 said:

Great post and great photos! Going on pearl in H4 soon, can’t wait. Did you find Anything else interesting about it? I was previously on breakaway with dedicated haven restaurant, lounge and bar so it will be quite different. 

H4 Rm 14012 was a great experience.  The suites were divided evenly between the port and starboard side with each side having service from a dedicate butler._MG_0557s.thumb.jpg.66f5af64bac67383b7235df62a871c3c.jpg  The concierge spends most of his/her time at the computers in front of Cagney’s in the A.M and lunch hour, although not always there.  And as mentioned, the courtyard attendant takes care of the courtyard and Haven Sundeck. _MG_0556s.thumb.jpg.248dc244b86743893f447e90b002a540.jpg The rooms are a great place.  The second bedroom that the daughter used has its own bathroom and is a bit better than the standard bathroom that comes with a regular balcony room.  The master bathroom is a joy._MG_0545.thumb.jpg.16d22dc68ee34d38e9a56e3b89163682.jpg  So much light and room.  Initially I was a bit concerned with the light content of the master bathroom with regards to the sleeping arrangement, but they have black out drapes that will hide almost every drop of light from anyone sleeping.  The bed itself was bigger than a queen size, but smaller than a king.  I’m not sure what it was but was very very comfortable and spacious.  Maybe a European size???  The main living area was more than adequate for us _MG_0551.thumb.jpg.d9bacba8313291d0190b973db1b5cbec.jpg_MG_0549s.thumb.jpg.c577da41c61895d6ed5f05fa6f77ec1a.jpg_MG_0550s.thumb.jpg.a51c50449e89e808a4d9e8ab878b4913.jpgand the patio was fully enclosed, so you never saw you neighbor.  Also, very quiet, couldn’t hear anything from inside the room, from below, above, and besides, nada!  Also 14012 and it’s opposite suite are the only ones that can look directly down from the balcony to the water, the rest of the H4’s have an awning that stops the people on the walking on the deck below from being able to look up at the rooms_MG_0931s.thumb.jpg.5e69286dba9c679a61255b0ccdba458e.jpg_MG_0954s.thumb.jpg.73cc03b43f4ea2b07959fbc41dd206c0.jpg.  Since the deck cuts in at 14012 that isn’t required. The first few days we ordered room service breakfast and Leo, our butler, was there precisely when we asked for delivery, came in set up the table with cloth and silverware and food.  That man was amazing.  We never felt that we could ask for too much with him.  He caught me on the last day heading down to pick up some Rum bottles I purchased in Barbados and chided me for doing such a mundane task.  He took the receipt and was back in 5 minutes with my bottles.  He said, “I don’t do lines when it comes to my charges and neither do they”  The concierge always greeted us each evening in the theatre at the reserved seating and asked if we wanted a drink waiter, which we always did, and he would dial his phone and abracadabra, a waiter/waitress was there in a minute or two.  He knew everyone’s name by day 2.  Was a great asset when we needed him, which wasn’t much, but came through quick and successfully when we did.

Lastly, a place I enjoyed many an afternoon was the sundeck.  _MG_0574s.thumb.jpg.ff18fda8742fdef275083620297f5969.jpg_MG_0575s.thumb.jpg.36c10d209a8d3045278a423c744732d7.jpgVery comfortable, doesn't look "high class" but is oh so super quiet and rarely more than 4 or 5 people up there. Loved spending time reading and drinking a Sam Adams on the lounge bed.

And here is a picture of the drink and snack counter in it's after breakfast mode.  Before that it's all fresh fruits and pastries.

_MG_0577s.thumb.jpg.72ca068081e01545e53539e7b3704a9d.jpg 

I wish I was back there right now...sigh!

Edited by Aesop081

1 hour ago, Aesop081 said:

H4 Rm 14012 was a great experience.  The suites were divided evenly between the port and starboard side with each side having service from a dedicate butler._MG_0557s.thumb.jpg.66f5af64bac67383b7235df62a871c3c.jpg  The concierge spends most of his/her time at the computers in front of Cagney’s in the A.M and lunch hour, although not always there.  And as mentioned, the courtyard attendant takes care of the courtyard and Haven Sundeck. _MG_0556s.thumb.jpg.248dc244b86743893f447e90b002a540.jpg The rooms are a great place.  The second bedroom that the daughter used has its own bathroom and is a bit better than the standard bathroom that comes with a regular balcony room.  The master bathroom is a joy._MG_0545.thumb.jpg.16d22dc68ee34d38e9a56e3b89163682.jpg  So much light and room.  Initially I was a bit concerned with the light content of the master bathroom with regards to the sleeping arrangement, but they have black out drapes that will hide almost every drop of light from anyone sleeping.  The bed itself was bigger than a queen size, but smaller than a king.  I’m not sure what it was but was very very comfortable and spacious.  Maybe a European size???  The main living area was more than adequate for us _MG_0551.thumb.jpg.d9bacba8313291d0190b973db1b5cbec.jpg_MG_0549s.thumb.jpg.c577da41c61895d6ed5f05fa6f77ec1a.jpg_MG_0550s.thumb.jpg.a51c50449e89e808a4d9e8ab878b4913.jpgand the patio was fully enclosed, so you never saw you neighbor.  Also, very quiet, couldn’t hear anything from inside the room, from below, above, and besides, nada!  Also 14012 and it’s opposite suite are the only ones that can look directly down from the balcony to the water, the rest of the H4’s have an awning that stops the people on the walking on the deck below from being able to look up at the rooms_MG_0931s.thumb.jpg.5e69286dba9c679a61255b0ccdba458e.jpg_MG_0954s.thumb.jpg.73cc03b43f4ea2b07959fbc41dd206c0.jpg.  Since the deck cuts in at 14012 that isn’t required. The first few days we ordered room service breakfast and Leo, our butler, was there precisely when we asked for delivery, came in set up the table with cloth and silverware and food.  That man was amazing.  We never felt that we could ask for too much with him.  He caught me on the last day heading down to pick up some Rum bottles I purchased in Barbados and chided me for doing such a mundane task.  He took the receipt and was back in 5 minutes with my bottles.  He said, “I don’t do lines when it comes to my charges and neither do they”  The concierge always greeted us each evening in the theatre at the reserved seating and asked if we wanted a drink waiter, which we always did, and he would dial his phone and abracadabra, a waiter/waitress was there in a minute or two.  He knew everyone’s name by day 2.  Was a great asset when we needed him, which wasn’t much, but came through quick and successfully when we did.

Lastly, a place I enjoyed many an afternoon was the sundeck.  _MG_0574s.thumb.jpg.ff18fda8742fdef275083620297f5969.jpg_MG_0575s.thumb.jpg.36c10d209a8d3045278a423c744732d7.jpgVery comfortable, doesn't look "high class" but is oh so super quiet and rarely more than 4 or 5 people up there. Loved spending time reading and drinking a Sam Adams on the lounge bed.

And here is a picture of the drink and snack counter in it's after breakfast mode.  Before that it's all fresh fruits and pastries.

_MG_0577s.thumb.jpg.72ca068081e01545e53539e7b3704a9d.jpg 

I wish I was back there right now...sigh!

Awesome post. Wow. Thank you. I’m in 14010. Looks incredible and I really hope they have those cabanas on Sundeck of pearl.