Norway - which of 2 itineraries?

On 4/3/2019 at 11:48 PM, Alberta Quilter said:

I need some help from the experts who have cruised to Norway with HAL. We have a cruise booked but then saw the Mighty Cruise Ship program featuring the Koningsdam and realized that we do not go to most of the places seen on the program which looked beautiful.  So, I checked out the itineraries again and am looking at the following two itineraries:

#1 B2B Nieuw Statendam

Amsterdam

Sea Day

Eidfjord (Hardangerfjord)

Molde

Geiranger (Geirangerfjord)

Bergen

Sea Day

Amsterdam

Sea Day

Oslo (Oslofjord)

Kristiansand

Stavanger

Flam (Sognefjord)

Sea Day

Amsterdam

#2 14 Day Veendam

Amsterdam

Sea Day

Eidfjord (Hardangerfjord)

Bergen

Sea Day (crossing the Arctic Circle)

Tromso

Honningsvag (scenic cruising North Cape)

Harstad

Leknes (Lofoten)

Bronnoysund

Trondheim

Molde

Alesund

Sea Day

Amsterdam

Please let's not get into a discussion about the Veendam vs the NS.  We've been on both and have enjoyed both.  We are aware of the pros and cons of each ship.  This question is strictly about itinerary.  We are cruising mostly for the scenery.    The first itinerary goes to the fjords that were on the program, while the second one goes to the North Cape.  Is one itinerary better than the other for a slightly mobility impaired senior who prefers flat, level walking when on land?  More scenic?

I'm not keen on the B2B because we plan on staying pre-cruise in Amsterdam for a few days and we've been there before.  On the other hand, the 14 day cruise has 8 port days in a row which is too much for me, never mind the senior!  However, I can plan accordingly to pace ourselves (hopefully).

Which itinerary would you choose and why?  Please educate me about the possibilities of each itinerary.  Is the Flam railway a must do?  Or is the fact that the Veendam goes to smaller ports a real plus?  It does seem like we would see more on the 14 day itinerary but fewer fjords.

Thank you for your help!

Hey Alberta Quilter.  How are you?  Looks like you and your mum need to get away again (LOL).  I'm booked on the Rotterdam for May 25 (14 days) out of Rotterdam and up the whole coast of Norway.  Come with me.  We'll be stopping at : Stavenger, Flam, Alesund, Thondheim, Hammerfest, Honningsvag, Geiranger and Bergen.  I've only been to Bergen and I can't wait to do this cruise (going solo).

Edited by Sue from Canada

On 4/4/2019 at 6:50 AM, Nang said:

Ditto on Flam - do not miss it. This alone would decide it for me.

The rail trip provides absolutely outstanding scenery and make sure you get off the train at the mid way stop - ignore the mist, getting a bit damp is a very small price to pay for what you will see.

Also the sail in and out is truly stunning.

Get the train tickets here https://www.visitflam.com/flamsbana/

Flam train ride.  I read that the seats sit four people and if you're not in the window seat or the next one you don't really see much and can't take any photos.  Is this true?  I'm in Flam on May 28th.  Thanks

3 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

Flam train ride.  I read that the seats sit four people and if you're not in the window seat or the next one you don't really see much and can't take any photos.  Is this true?  I'm in Flam on May 28th.  Thanks

A window seat is certainly better and if you miss out and are sitting next to somebody you don't know it can be a bit hard to get lots of photos but most people are understanding and will let you take some shots with you "leaning in". All I can suggest is you get in "line" early, 30 minutes ahead was sufficient for us when we took the ride. The line is not strictly a line but a long group of of people, just try to be near the front.

On 4/4/2019 at 8:39 PM, Alberta Quilter said:

Next question is verandah or no verandah?  I booked a verandah on the NS for $500 pp more than the OV on the  Veendam.

We had a verandah on the stern in Norway. Ruth is right ... it will likely be cold. Not ideal for sitting and lounging. However, viewing the fjords from you own space is wonderful. If you can snag one at the stern of the ship, you can see both sides of the fjord at the same time. This is a wonderful plus when going through the towering waterfall-filled walls along the fjord. If your cabin is port or starboard, it won't matter that much. What you don't see going in you will see going back out.

Enjoy!

7 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

Seats can be made to face each other, so in that regard four people are in the same space. But only two fit on each seat, not four abreast. It's a spectacular rail journey!

9 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

Hey Alberta Quilter.  How are you?  Looks like you and your mum need to get away again (LOL).  I'm booked on the Rotterdam for May 25 (14 days) out of Rotterdam and up the whole coast of Norway.  Come with me.  We'll be stopping at : Stavenger, Flam, Alesund, Thondheim, Hammerfest, Honningsvag, Geiranger and Bergen.  I've only been to Bergen and I can't wait to do this cruise (going solo).

Is your cruise this year?  If so, we can't, much as I'd love to.  We have a cruise booked for September which will take up the rest of my vacation time for the year (unless I get laid off due to the economic issues here but then I probably won't be able to afford to cruise).

Thank you, everyone!  I had DM read all your comments (because I wasn't going to make this decision on my own!).  We have agreed to do the B2B on the NS.  It was the mention of the sardine museum in Stavanger that put this itinerary over the other!  it sounds unusual and we happen to like sardines.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Nang said:

A window seat is certainly better and if you miss out and are sitting next to somebody you don't know it can be a bit hard to get lots of photos but most people are understanding and will let you take some shots with you "leaning in". All I can suggest is you get in "line" early, 30 minutes ahead was sufficient for us when we took the ride. The line is not strictly a line but a long group of of people, just try to be near the front.

Thanks for the tip.

15 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Is your cruise this year?  If so, we can't, much as I'd love to.  We have a cruise booked for September which will take up the rest of my vacation time for the year (unless I get laid off due to the economic issues here but then I probably won't be able to afford to cruise).

My cruise is next month!!  I would have loved to see you and your mum again.  Glad to see she is still cruising and you'll be setting sail in Sept..  My mum will be 95 this year and her balance isn't what it use to be so she's not coming with me.