Birthday, package or diy?

Takoyaki

DIY? Wifes birthday is during our next cruise. She would absolutely love the surprise room decorating. 

Has anyone here paid for it? If so how were the decorations and timing?

I would rather spend the extra and have it work very well but if ncl doesnt do a great job I'll do it on my own.

TIA for any input 🙂

We have had good but also incorrect timing.  In all cases the decorations were very nice.  The issue we have had was with timing of the cake that comes with it.  They were supposed to give us a card for a cake at any restaurant whichever day we chose but the cake was delivered to the room, on one occasion when we arrived for the first time in the stateroom it was there, but the birthday was later in the week, on another it wad their in the morning of the correct day rather than at the restaurant. 

I will say when were in the Have on Breakaway they ended up doubling the cake.  One of the head waiters asked what day we wanted it but the butler also delivered one.

I am not sure, but you may be able to set it up once on board to try to ensure the correct timing.

Either way you choose, I am sure she will love it. 

My husband, RedRover96, surprised me for our anniversary and for my birthday on different NFL cruises. I was so excited when I walked into the room and found it decorated! It really made for a special cruise! I brought both the Happy Birthday banner and the Happy Anniversary banner and he'll home and have used them for other occasions. Plus, your room steward is the one climbing and hanging things on the wall and ceilings with a ladder - you don't have to worry about doing it! 😊 

• Like 1

When I was on the Dawn, the Concierge and Butler found out it was my birthday and decorated for free as a surprise.

The funniest part was they printed out a Birthday card with my photo that was taken as ID at Embarkation. It was so bad and I laughed for days whenever i looked at it!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Takoyaki said:

Thanks everyone. Bought it. I'm the sole planner so she wont see it 🙂

Good choice! Easy. 

We decorate on every cruise. We stop by the dollar store and pick up a few things to make the room more festive. 

21 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Good choice! Easy. 

We decorate on every cruise. We stop by the dollar store and pick up a few things to make the room more festive. 

DITTO

We have just noted when someone is having a birthday/anniversary and NCL sent a cake voucher.  Also, let the host/hostess know if you are going out for specialty dining.  I did this for our last anniversary in La Cuccina.  The wait staff will serenade you.  Kinda different dinner.

• 1 month later...

I'd love to see some pictures of the NCL decorations if anyone has any. We are doing Alaska next July for my husbands 45th and if I don't have to manage it, I would rather not and let it be a surprise for both of us.

Our son graduated from high school last year and we planned a cruise for his celebration.  As an aside, we had so many snow days, the school postponed the ceremony until after we sailed. No problem.  He “walked” through the pier with his cap and gown and we had one great on boarding photo.  He then went up to the suprise decorated room. It was a nice touch for him. 

Easy. Suprise since I did not have to sneak to the room before he got there.  

I recommend it. Easy. 

We've done both DIY and arranged by NCL...I prefer a combo...

If you are sailing in a suite and are Platinum - generally, all it takes is letting the concierge or butler know about a special date and they will surprise your partner with a birthday-theme decorated room. Not being a lover of cake, I also have been surprised on my birthday with "breakfast fruitcake" - the waitresses arranged a fruit plate to look like cake (photos attached) with a birthday muffin in the center and sang...really lovely. The mimosas were flowing as well...

If you aren't in a suite / Latitudes, you can also mention it to your cruise desk personnel, and they may offer you a special deal once on board. However, i've heard pros and cons about this...from missing dates / no cake, to free bottles of wine, chocolate strawberries, cake and free specialty dinners. 

Buying a package online is very safe - but also very generic...why not personalize as well? Because we tend to sail on special occasions, I usually hit up the dollar store for holiday-themed decorations, but I also go to VistaPrint - you can get personalized posters, etc for very low costs - I decorate the door as well as the room. We have gotten so many well wishers "signing" our doors - really a nice memory of each trip. 

Amy

escape 9 birthday 'fruit'cake.JPG

DSCN4520.JPG