Stopping in Progresso Mexico Early July

rcarrosq

We are taking our teenage granddaughters on a 5 day cruise on RCL in early July and will be stopping in Progresso and Cozumel.  It's their very first cruise and we want to take them on an excursion to the ruins.  We did this excursion about 15 years ago and did not use the cruise ship excursion but bargained with a local driver who took us.  The woman was very knowledgeable and we had a great time.  I want to know if you can still bargain for these tours off ship and if anyone has any suggestions about which tour operator they used and if it's still considered safe to take a non ship sponsored tour to the ruins at Chichen Itza.  Thanks for your replies

I would suggest you consider Uxmal. In my opinion, it is as impressive as Chichen, saw both on the same lad trip, and there will be less travel time allowing more time to view the ruins. It is also a more compact site reducing the amount of on site walking as the temperature and humidity will be high

Here is another tour choice but I have no experience with them. I believe autoprogresso has yours as well but on the website they do not indicate whether the tour is from Merida or progresso They operate the shuttle from the ship to town so I am sure they have something but do not know if they can be booked in advance

https://www.shoreexcursioneer.com/progreso/uxmal-mayan-ruins-lunch-highlights.html