Balcony or not??

Marie-Claude

I need advice - of course a balcony is always nicer than just an outside cabin... but on some cruises, we use it a lot less than on others. I remember our Alaska cruise... it would not have been the same without the balcony!

That's why I think a South America cruise probably would be better enjoyed with a balcony. More fun - yes, but necessary? I need your experienced opinion on this. We will be on the Infinity next January, and as it is, we have booked on a group cruise and the price difference from an outside to a balcony is 600$ pp.

Should I splurge, or keep this extra $ for shore ex??

Just want to hear the various opinions before I committ!

Thanks!

MC

We have done the South American cruise and have sailed the Infinity. Yes, Yes, Yes, do get yourself a balcony cabin and if you can try for "CC" service. Enjoy yourselves as this is a very beautiful area of our wonderful world. Happy Sailings...Leslie Swiger:)

When I did the South America cruise last year we were on Seabourn so given the relatively small size of the ship a balcony was not necessary (they don't have them anyway) as it is a short walk to the outside of the ship and easy to view from there.

I believe you will be on the Celebrity Infinity and given the size of the ship i would be nice to have a balcony if you would like to sit out there to view the scenery. There will be a couple of days where you will likely not sit out because it will be too cold or windy but on the other days you might want to enjoy seeing the views from your balcony. But, if you would to save the dollars you can always just sit outside to view it from there. Either way, you won't go wrong.

We found the scenery in South America to be even more beautiful than that of Alaska. It is a wonderful area of the world to cruise.

Keith

We'll be going 'round the Horn, on Regal Princess, 3-9-06, and booked a regular outside cabin.

We've had balconies on various itineraries, and are not totally convinced that they are "the only way to go". I guess for us the "jury is still out".

We'll also be in South America, Santiago to San Francisco CA, on Golden Princess, 3-07, and do have a balcony booked on that trip. (The price was right!)

Isn't it wonderful we have so many choices?

On our Cape Horn trip we did not have a balcony. Due to the wind, rain and cold weather most of the trip, we only sat outside on the pool deck 3-4 of the 17 days, and this was much more protected that a balcony would be. A balcony would be nice because of the larger window, but we would not have been outside much at all, and saved quite a bit by not having a balcony cabin.

We are just off the Millenium around the horn and were very happy that we didn't spend the extra money for a balcony on this one. We have really enjoyed having balcony on the warm weather cruises, but there was so much cold and windy weather that we really wouldn't have used it all that much on this one. There was some great scenery as we cruised through the Chilean fjords, we cruised by a glacier, and we made a complete circle around the horn... it was all very nice scenery, but very easily (and comfortably) viewed from the public lounges. We really wanted to be there anyway so that we could be all the way forward for the viewing of those things.

• 4 weeks later...

We were on the 21 day Regal Princess cruise from Rio to Valpariso via Antarctica and we had a balcony and were on the Starboard side.

To us, both were a must and we did use our balcony. Also the views were fantastic on our side as that was where all the scenery seemed to be.

Jennie

That's why I think a South America cruise probably would be better enjoyed with a balcony. More fun - yes, but necessary? I need your experienced opinion on this. We will be on the Infinity next January, and as it is, we have booked on a group cruise and the price difference from an outside to a balcony is 600$ pp.

Should I splurge, or keep this extra $ for shore ex??

Just want to hear the various opinions before I committ!

Thanks!

MC

We had a starboard balcony from BA to Valparaiso on Celebrity on Jan 22 and did use it a lot. We used it on sea dyas to step out for a better look at flying Albatrosses.

It was esp useful when we left Ushuaia and we had 5 glaciers on our side of the ship. It was cold and rainy.

The owrld is divided between hose that like balconies and tose who don't. If you like it in Alaska you will like it hear. Good way to see the Chilean Fjords.

Save money by going on private tours!

Archived