Currently on the Horizon

Gettys84

On 7/29/2019 at 11:30 PM, Organized Chaos said:

I didn't take my DSLR on our cruise last year. I wanted to see how I'd get along with just my iPhone and a new GoPro that I had bought. I only used the GoPro when we snorkeled. I got a great deal on it during Black Friday sales and I'm glad I bought it. I got by just fine without my DSLR, but I did miss having my zoom lens. The digital zoom on smartphones just doesn't cut it sometimes. But my photos still turned out good enough for my liking. I take them for our own keepsakes, I don't post to social media. Now for our March 2020 aboard Horizon, I probably will take my DSLR again because we'll be at Grand Turk during a time when the humpbacks are down there. Obviously no guarantee we'll see one, but if we did and I didn't have a good zoom lens, I'd regret it.

These live reviews can be a handy tool, but if I were to do something similar, I think I'd just answer questions at my own leisure instead of a full-on review. If someone asked me something that required going to a spot on the ship or taking a picture, I'd do it when I wasn't doing anything else. Cruise comes first.

We had been on many many cruises before.  We had so much fun taking pictures and thinking about what we wanted to post next.  I purchased a GoPro7 for our upcoming cruise to try and do more video review for YouTube.  We didn't let the review run our vacation but was just a part of it!

On 7/31/2019 at 5:44 AM, beshears said:

I am NOT familiar with what is on "which" deck.  My question, is the Serenity area on the same deck as the Lido buffet area?  I know you mentioned about eating salad close to the Serenity, and that is why I ask.

The Serenity is on a higher deck than lido, I think it was deck 12.  The salad bar was awesome.  They were busy and out of a few of the toppings but we would just ask them to refill them and they took care of it!

On 8/1/2019 at 1:26 PM, beshears said:

I appreciate the replies to my questions about the Gelato, and if the Serenity is on the same deck as the Lido, because it was mentioned that we could get salad close by.

Right now, I'm debating on whether to continue with my TA, or use a PVP from Carnival, which is a little scary for me, since they are not close to where I live, like the TA.

We always just book online.  Did you decide on using a TA?

I have been on vacation for a few days with my friend to Branson, MO (I live in KC, Gladstone, MO) and am "trying" to catch up with the replies to some of my questions, and thank you ALL!!!

In regard to one of the last questions, I am still debating on whether to use my original TA, or go with a PVP.  I'm still a little scared.  I know the large cruise office (been in business over 20 years, and on the radio every Saturday) my TA works for does NOT promote Carnival, as I gather there was  problem in the past, but my TA will get info and book for me when I request it.  I just know that she will not be looking if the Carnival prices  go down.  If I stayed with the TA, or PVP, would "I" be the one to notify them if the Carnival prices went down, or would a PVP notify me, especially until the final payment is made?

On 8/6/2019 at 9:52 PM, beshears said:

I have been on vacation for a few days with my friend to Branson, MO (I live in KC, Gladstone, MO) and am "trying" to catch up with the replies to some of my questions, and thank you ALL!!!

In regard to one of the last questions, I am still debating on whether to use my original TA, or go with a PVP.  I'm still a little scared.  I know the large cruise office (been in business over 20 years, and on the radio every Saturday) my TA works for does NOT promote Carnival, as I gather there was  problem in the past, but my TA will get info and book for me when I request it.  I just know that she will not be looking if the Carnival prices  go down.  If I stayed with the TA, or PVP, would "I" be the one to notify them if the Carnival prices went down, or would a PVP notify me, especially until the final payment is made?

We always just book online.  That way if I see the price has gone down I just call the 800 number and get them to check the booking.  The online site at carnival is pretty nice!

At this point, I am working with my TA, and the PVP from Carnival, but they do NOT know I am doing this.  They have "both" given me the same quote, and at this point my TA seems to give me a tad more information, although the PV is good too.  My ONLY problem is the TA works for an agency that has been here in KC, MO for 20 years or more, and is a good company, but.............something happened between them and Carnival, and they do NOT promote Carnival in any way.  I know if I put a down payment down, and still receive emails from Carnival, if I booked through the PVP, and I find a better price through Early Saver, she said she would credit it for me.

Hopefully (sorry with working, etc. I'm not able to read everything) you enjoyed Grand Turk.  I have wonderful memories of that area too.  In fact, I had heard about the "grave yard," and since I collect shells, I decided to find it.  My friend said it was too hot, and went back to the ship.  Yes, I did walk all the way to it, and it was very HOT doing this, but worth it, as I found a beautiful blue large shell that I brought home.  In fact, in my living room, which is really off limits for most people where I keep breakable items, I have on my carpeted floor, many shells I have collected from all over, with the big blue shell in the middle.  It does draw a lot of attention. 🙂

Can't wait until March 2020, 6 day booked on the Horizon. Great review of the boat, etc. We will miss the Red Frog Pub, but I look forward to being on a newer ship. We were only able to book the Vista once before it changed port locations. 

MNP75, I haven't book yet, and am still waiting to get "final" results from Carnival PVP, and my TA.  So far, even though my TA has given me more information to see, the PVP has given me the same information, and has answered back to me on my last question, but still has another question to answer, as I am responsible for 6 other people. I don't know when in March you are going, but we plan to do the March 15th (was going to do the 29th, but it runs too close to Easter).

I do have a question if you or anyone else wants to respond.  When I finalize this, and both the TA and PVP are running a race (they do not know about each other) to the finish line, and I decide to take one of them, how do I let the other one know that I will not be using their service after all?

1 hour ago, beshears said:

MNP75, I haven't book yet, and am still waiting to get "final" results from Carnival PVP, and my TA.  So far, even though my TA has given me more information to see, the PVP has given me the same information, and has answered back to me on my last question, but still has another question to answer, as I am responsible for 6 other people. I don't know when in March you are going, but we plan to do the March 15th (was going to do the 29th, but it runs too close to Easter).

I do have a question if you or anyone else wants to respond.  When I finalize this, and both the TA and PVP are running a race (they do not know about each other) to the finish line, and I decide to take one of them, how do I let the other one know that I will not be using their service after all?

If you do March 15th, we’ll just miss you. You’ll be getting on after we get off.

Is the TA offering you OBC if any kind? If you choose to book through them, you can just tell your PVP you took the TA’s deal to get OBC. I think many PVP’s are aware of that and understand. You don’t even have to call and tell them you went a different direction if you don’t want to, but they may call you at some point to check up on you.

When you book through a TA, most of the transactions have to be done through the TA at that point.

Since your TA doesn’t deal with Carnival anymore, that’s the one thing that would make me choose to go with the PVP, if I was in your situation. They’re more than likely more knowledgeable about Carnival than the TA is now. And I’d be asking myself why they cut ties with Carnival. Do they have some sort of axe to grind with the company that could affect me in some way?

But once you pick one, you don’t have to tell the other. If the other contacts you, just be up front with them, you went a different direction this time. You have to do what’s best for you. Especially since you have a lot on your plate organizing for multiple people.

Well I booked "everything" today.  What a job that was, while taking my husband to the hospital to get things taken care of for his surgery next week. Texting back and forth to my 3 sons/wives, as well as the PVP, has really kept me busy. Actually, since both the TA and PVP did not know about each other, and both of them gave me the same prices, I really didn't know what to do.  I do like the OBC of $50 I received from my TA, and I gather that I should NOT mentioned this to my PVP, right?  The reason I went for the PVP, compared to the TA, they didn't know it, but they were running against each other, and I was "waiting" to see who would get back with me with the last information I needed before I booked.  So the PVP was the one that got back to me first "yesterday," which I was surprised, but happy at the same time.  I do understand why the TA didn't get back with me yesterday, as most people do not work on Sunday.  I think the TA was out on Friday as well, and another reason she did not get back with me on Friday. I will MISS not getting the OBC, but I'll live.

We will be doing the March 15th cruise, 6 day. It will be the same ports we had during our late May/June 2018 Vista cruise. $50 OBC isn't much to worry about missing out on. I always book on the Carnival website and never through a TA, etc. The time you waste on the phone is usually more valuable than the OBC anyway, time is money!

MNP75, it looks like we will be on the "same" cruise.🙂 I know $50 OBC (actually $25) is not much, but it is just a little "extra" money to spend on myself, instead of someone else that I normally spend money on, but I will be fine.  I know, now that I booked it today, everyone is getting MORE excited, thinking of where to stay the night before, and hopefully not too expensive, and booking flights too.  In all my 15 or more cruises on various ships, I have never gone in the day before and made it to the ship on time.  I do take out insurance to cover flight and cruise for just in case.  It has come in handy more than one time.

Brenda

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...