#8000 on Marina - ?Cape Horn

marylovestotravel

We're considering #8000 on the Marina for the Lima to Buenos Aires cruise in 2020. It's an itinerary I've been wanting to travel for years! Does anyone have any experience of the Cape Horn in the bow of the ship? It sounds like it is situated fantastically for the view and experience, but will it be a titch bit rocky in movement? I am interested in  hearing from anyone who has done this transit and had a stateroom in the bow of the ship.

Thanks,

Mia

We did the same itinerary three years ago, but on one of the smaller ships, Insignia, in stateroom #7000. Utterly amazing views,  ideal viewing the fjords, watching the dramatic coastline and sailing into the scenic ports.  But there are tradeoffs. If there are rough seas (and it's definitely possible) down from Punta Reynas out to the open ocean and through the Beagle Canal to Ushuaia, you will definitely feel it more at the bow than mid-ship.  (With Insignia we did not sail Drake's Passage around Cape Horn... don't know what Marina will do.) And sitting on the veranda, facing forward, you almost always have wind. But, at least for us, the good definitely outweighs the bad.  We've sailed three times in the forward cabin and have another trip booked.

We haven't done this on O (it was on NCL back just after Renaissance disappeared).  So the ship was bigger -- 1750 passengers.

We didn't have rough seas around Cape Horn OR in the Falklands (the captain said it was the best weather he'd ever seen there) but going through the Chilean fjords it WAS rough.

You just never know what will hit where.  If you are normally subject to mal de mer, then probably this isn't a great room.  If you are not ... then go for it.

Unfortunately for us, we booked late so had no option of a forward facing cabin.  I AM sometimes subject to mal de mer so maybe we wouldn't have taken that room anyway ... I think I would today!

Mura

• 2 months later...

We sailed on a Hurtigruten ship last January from Punta Arenas through the Chilean fjords, across the Drake Passage (alternately referred to as the Drake Shake or the Drake Lake) to Antarctica and to the Falklands.  Ship only holds about 400 pax.  We had no problem whatsoever.  But as was mentioned above if you know you have a problem well....

On 4/7/2019 at 6:16 PM, marylovestotravel said:

We're considering #8000 on the Marina for the Lima to Buenos Aires cruise in 2020. It's an itinerary I've been wanting to travel for years! Does anyone have any experience of the Cape Horn in the bow of the ship? It sounds like it is situated fantastically for the view and experience, but will it be a titch bit rocky in movement? I am interested in  hearing from anyone who has done this transit and had a stateroom in the bow of the ship.

Thanks,

Mia

We did this itinerary in an NCL bow suite this past February.  It was very rocky from Santiago to Ushuaia, but wasn’t horrible.  It was well worth it for the views.  On the Atlantic side there were no issues. 

I have not been subject to seasickness yet, and hopefully I will remain this way. But you never know when your body and your stomach will be challenged! I think I will bring some meds and hopefully never have to use them. I've heard "sea-bands" will work also.

Thanks for your input.

Mia

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed in 8000, but on Insignia.  We booked late and it was the only penthouse left.  I have a terrible time with seasickness and I felt it even more staying in this cabin.  I don't know what the difference might be on the bigger ships.  We also experience noise from the crew coming and going through the door right next to our cabin.  It was not a big deal, but they do start their days early and sometimes the noise of the door and the talking woke us up.  I would suggest taking some meds and sea bands just in case.