Donuts on the DREAM this week!

Markmom18

1 hour ago, lottiegreen56 said:

No they most certainly didn’t need to add them to compete, they could have been the only mass market line still offering a mostly all-incluscive product.

My point about the extra price things was that you call them options when CCL does it but other lines are nickel and diming. Which is it? I’d pay to get a good seat at the comedy show, wish CCL would copy Royal on that, heck I’d like fresh squeezed juices while their at it!

LOL, well they must agree with me instead of you, because the is exactly what they did.  Do they have more now then when it was just the steakhouse? yes.  Again, revenue becomes king in a publicly traded company when they are producing ships that cost a billion dollars.  That is just the way it works.  To my point of it being options....they are.  You, whom it seems does not enjoy these things, has the OPTION to not partake and yet still enjoy all the wonderful things on a Carnival ship has.  Not so much on the other lines....but I digress.😉  

Cruising on royal is like going to disney world (which I have done way to many times), it requires tons of planning, adherence to schedules and more. Read my review onOasis for ALL the details.  In the end, Carnival is moving more towards giving you those things that you mention with what is happening on the Mardi Gras.... you might be happy with that, but the jury is still our for me.  I will sail on her first cruise, and will withhold my final decision..... my guess is either way, you might not agree.... which is fine.

Edited by jimbo5544

On 4/8/2019 at 12:12 PM, Shirleybird said:

$2 for a donut? Man that's high. I've bought a HUGE piece of cake from the coffee shop and it was only like like $3. But maybe you meant $2 for both?

Eh. Local donut shops around me routinely charge close to that. Not sure I would buy one on the ship. I might consider a cupcake. 

Hi lottiegreen,

I don't like heavy cake donuts.  The two I tried last week were not heavy cake. I enjoyed them, the better if the 2 (IMO) was the maple bacon. 

🍩🍩 Bobbi

The Cupcakes are HUGE! A few unique flavors as well. Like Lemon with Lemon Meringue Top (toasted/baked meringue). A chocolate one with big slices of chocolate on top! 

Edited by Markmom18

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

LOL, well they must agree with me instead of you, because the is exactly what they did.  Do they have more now then when it was just the steakhouse? yes.  Again, revenue becomes king in a publicly traded company when they are producing ships that cost a billion dollars.  That is just the way it works.  To my point of it being options....they are.  You, whom it seems does not enjoy these things, has the OPTION to not partake and yet still enjoy all the wonderful things on a Carnival ship has.  Not so much on the other lines....but I digress.😉  

Cruising on royal is like going to disney world (which I have done way to many times), it requires tons of planning, adherence to schedules and more. Read my review onOasis for ALL the details.  In the end, Carnival is moving more towards giving you those things that you mention with what is happening on the Mardi Gras.... you might be happy with that, but the jury is still our for me.  I will sail on her first cruise, and will withhold my final decision..... my guess is either way, you might not agree.... which is fine.

How many people complain about the nickel and diming, not just on CCL but on all of the lines? How many people complain that the things that were special touches that they liked about cruising is what is going by the wayside (table clothes, chocolates, turndown service etc)

This stuff all started happening after or during the Great Recession. Why? Because lines were on a race to have cheap fares to keep people cruising/get people to try it. If CCL - or any of the lines - would have stopped on the race to the bottom with fares and kept their product consistent, they'd be positioned to get these cruisers at a slightly higher fare. 

We weren't even planning to book a mass market this year (two viking cruises) but decided to do a quick and CHEAP (well more than free) cruise on CCL in August. All of my friends in management at CCL were not surprised when I told them we were trying Viking. 

I've taken a ton of cruises, you seem to have taken a lot too. Cruise lines make a ton more from newer cruisers than seasoned cruisers once they get on the ship (on average). These people don't have nostalgia for the "old days" and in some respects it does make sense that lines have switched to the nickel and diming. 

But - it is shortsighted to me because the people who have the time and money to take 3-12 cruises per year are the folks that like the old touches. I don't know why a line didn't try to play the long game to attract these folks.

I just saw the photo with the donuts & cupcakes. YEP!  My maple donut had pieces of bacon, instead of a whole piece. It us true that the selection is best first thing  in the morning ..... at least on my sailing.

My sons co-worker on the Fun Squad made the announcement of !DONUTS! To all of us doing Trivia that morning.  They get REAL excited when new things come out, as you'd imagine, if you ate the same ship food for six months at a time!