1st time out of Galveston and in Texas

Grumpy'sGurl

Hello! Our group has never been to Texas or sailed out of Galveston. With the exchange rate (Canadians), we are hoping to find some budget friendly accommodations. We are coming in 2 days beforehand (buffer for weather) and, if all goes well with flights, will be in around noonish. We originally planned to stay at an airport hotel because the price is right and we have Harbour House for the night before our cruise. We are now second guessing this plan. Everything we read is suggesting there is nothing near the airport and if we actually do get in around noon I'm afraid we will feel stuck. What do you destination experts/ experienced cruisers recommend? Is there some sort of train into the city from the airport (IAH)? Is there another less expensive location we should be looking for a hotel in? Any advise appreciated!

You are correct that there is nothing to do near IAH. I'd bite the bullet financially and go directly to Galveston. The Houston area is HUGE and if you try to do anything in that area transportation costs will eat up everything you save on the hotel. Galveston Island is very compact with numerous activities that are easy to do once you get on the Island. Some will suggest the NASA area, but unless you have a car that's not really a good idea, especially since you say you have a group. When is your cruise as costs for hotels on the Island vary a lot depending on what's going on.

23 minutes ago, Grumpy'sGurl said:

Hello! Our group has never been to Texas or sailed out of Galveston. With the exchange rate (Canadians), we are hoping to find some budget friendly accommodations. We are coming in 2 days beforehand (buffer for weather) and, if all goes well with flights, will be in around noonish. We originally planned to stay at an airport hotel because the price is right and we have Harbour House for the night before our cruise. We are now second guessing this plan. Everything we read is suggesting there is nothing near the airport and if we actually do get in around noon I'm afraid we will feel stuck. What do you destination experts/ experienced cruisers recommend? Is there some sort of train into the city from the airport (IAH)? Is there another less expensive location we should be looking for a hotel in? Any advise appreciated!

You are right.  Unless you have a rental car, being at the airport, especially IAH, you are a bit stuck, especially for two days.  I assume you are flying in on Friday and cruise is on Sunday? If it were me, I'd get an Enterprise rental car at IAH, stay there the first night, since there are lots of affordable options. With a rental car, there are many nearby dining and shopping options.  You can use the rental car to see the sights on Friday and Saturday.  Stay at the Harbor House in Galveston on Sat night.  Return the rental car to Texas City Enterprise location on Sunday morning and arrange transportation from the Enterprise location to the cruise port.  There are many threads about this option. Using this option, you probably need to speak directly to the Texas City Enterprise location about those options. Texas City is very near to Galveston, by the way.  I hope this helps!  Unfortunately, Houston doesn't have a robust public transportation system.  If I can help with any other information, just ask.  I have traveled to Canada a few times and got nice advice, I'd like to pay it forward.    

Edited by LuckyStar

Book Harbor House for two nights . They have two sister hotels Tremont and Galvez , they can also work with you on for two nights . All three nice ones . Once in Galveston you’re three Hotels group,  has transfer limo bus , and there is Island Trolleys that can transfer you to every tourist destination and beach for a dollar . Galveston has lots to do and 32 miles of beach . Lots to do just around Harbor House . 

Edited by ssb

Also looking at hotel and car rentals options. What is the best way to get from Texas City to the cruise port? Uber? Taxi? What about upon return? Thinking of renting a car to get back to IAH but is it gonna be stupid crazy to get a taxi or Uber the morning we arrive back in Galveston? Thanks! 

Uber , taxi from Texas City . 

After disembarking, why  not use Cruise line shuttle back to airport . 

Enjoy the area , you are on vacation . 

Galveston area is major tourist destination with cultural  charm , historical properties , many  museums , Nature Tourism , festivals and events , 2nd largest number of Victorian homes in US , tours , Old Town Strand , NASA , Kemah Boardwalk , 32 miles of beach and on and on . 

See stroag.org and galveston.com 

1 hour ago, dwayneb236 said:

I have nothing i can add other than to say Welcome to Texas, The Greatest State in the Union

And to the Republic of Galveston. The little island just off the State of Texas ,The Greatest State in the Union. 

• Like 1

I’m sitting here looking at the port of Galveston thru a Harbor House window. We also came 2 days early, first time out of Galveston. Used Galveston express, they were great, waited for us as our plane was a few minutes late. Lots to do and see here. The oil rig museum is interesting.  Take a dolphin tour, only $10pp! The ship is within walking distance, and we will be heading out in about an hour. 🙂

Edited by kona_wahine

Thanks for all your replies and insight! We ended up cancelling our airport hotel, booking private transportation to La Quinta in Galveston and then will trolly it over to Harbour House the day before our cruise. We are hoping to just walk to the ship morning of. Thanks again! Looking forward to exploring the area a bit before we sail!

• Like 2