Best sightseeing AK cruise for the mobility impaired

SportTourer

My wife and I are planning an Alaska cruise for our elderly mothers in 2020.  Neither mother is wheelchair bound, but each tires easily, so we are not all that interested in shore excursions.  The ladies prefer to just watch the scenery pass by the windows,.  I was originally going to book a one way cruise but have ditched that idea for various reasons.  I am now focusing on a RT out of Vancouver so that we get the most out of the Inside Passage.  Glacier Bay is a must for us. Does that narrow us down to Princess and HA, or are there other lines with access to GB?  Looking at the maps on cruise line websites, it appears that HA takes a more "inside" route (which I assume would be calmer and more scenic) on the southbound run leaving Glacier Bay, whereas Princess runs out in open water.  Am I correct on that point?  If so, props to HA.

Any other items I should be considering here?  The ladies don't care about fine dining, they will be happy in the buffet, so specialty restaurants are not our focus.  They would feel more comfortable with an older crowd (ie not many kids), and, perhaps obviously, they don't care about go cart tracks and rock climbing walls etc etc.

Thanks, all!

Princess doesn't do many RT Vancouver. If so, they will be at the beginning and end of season.

In 2020, Princess is doing the Pacific Princess which is going to be one of their smallest ships - it is mostly doing one ways but at the beginning of the season, it is doing an odd itinerary. Maybe worth looking at.

• Like 1

An aft stateroom on Holland America to Alaska that overlooks the ship's wake will provide your mothers with a wide view of what is happening on both sides of ship without leaving their balcony.  Aft staterooms are out of the wind even when the ship is moving and a good opportunity to both watch the scenery and eat their meals.  When my mobility-challenged wife used to cruise with me, she spent all of her time on "her" balcony enjoying the scenery, eagles, float planes landing beside the ship, and reading.

The aft stateroom is a two-minute elevator ride up to the buffet or down to the Main Dining Room.  Free Room Service is available 24/7 and with the kitchen just a short elevator ride to the stateroom, very quick.

Glacier Bay photograph taken from my aft stateroom balcony:

image.png.c26d27b6dc807b692e4053b3e2f81494.png

• Like 2

Thanks all, great info, please keep it coming.  Crew News, we got aft staterooms on a one way on Princess many years ago and loved them!  So I, like you, are sold on being in the back of the boat!  It appears that our itinerary is going to be serviced mainly by Koningsdam and Volendam, is there a big difference between these ships?  Thanks again!

16 minutes ago, SportTourer said:

Thanks all, great info, please keep it coming.  Crew News, we got aft staterooms on a one way on Princess many years ago and loved them!  So I, like you, are sold on being in the back of the boat!  It appears that our itinerary is going to be serviced mainly by Koningsdam and Volendam, is there a big difference between these ships?  Thanks again!

Have you looked at May 15th on Pacific Princess? The ship is only 30,000 tonns (smaller than any HAL ship) and RT out of Vancouver:

https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/details?voyageCode=K008  

The answer to your question is the Volendam is much smaller - 61,000 tonns and Koningsdam is just under 100,000 tonns.

5 minutes ago, SportTourer said:

Coral, that one is not good for us.  Too long, no Glacier Bay, no time behind Victoria Island, and a long open ocean run to start the trip.  We want to minimize time in the ocean in order to maximize scenery.

Got it - it is a unique itinerary so thought I would mention it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SportTourer said:

The Volendam has half of the passengers of the Konigsdam (1300 vs 2600).

The Volendam does not have aft-facing staterooms but the Konigsdam does.  The Volendam has a very nice secluded bascony that spans the aft of the ship but without direct access to a stateroom.  On the Konigsdam, the two mothers would be just a few feet from warmth, their own bathroom, a phone to call Room Service 24/7, and a huge wide-screen tv if they want to just watch movies/tv.

I was just on the Konigsdam in an aft-facing stateroom (7195).  Here is a link to my photo review of the Konigsdam to include my aft-facing stateroom:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/photo-reviews/ms-konigsdam-on-board

If you depart from Vancouver, the Pan Pacific Hotel is an elevator ride above the cruise terminal and Holland America gets a huge discount for their cruise passengers.  The convenience for your two mothers would be ideal.

If you chose May, there should be less rain in Alaska, lower plane fares, lower cruise prices, 9:30 PM sunsets, and very few kids (they are still in school).  Cruises in September will have three+ hours less sunlight.

Enjoy your cruise planning and keep asking questions.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

Crews news gave great advice.  I haven't been on the Konningsdam yet,  probably next summer! Going at the end of this May on the Nieuw Amsterdam,  in an aft suite.   Have done my last 3 cruises to AK in aft cabins, RT out of Vancouver. Much prefer the scenery out of Vancouver,  and prefer going at the end of May or first 2 weeks of June.  Nice long days,  less rain,  lower cost than July or August,  and fewer kids (no haters,  have kids,  just don't enjoy 100's of them😊).  Good luck with your planning!

• Like 1