Carrying on Luggage

kyleg2949

5 minutes ago, searoses said:

For years we handed ours over until my sister saw bags disappear into the water as they were boarding...letting that scenario complete itself in my imagination and no way was i taking that chance ....we only pack carryon and a medical bag and try not to have anything we dont really need...

Were they able to recover it or did it sink to the bottom?

When we first cruised, we checked luggage, but no more.  Searoses' post is one reason why we choose to carry on our medium suitcases & backpacks.  Also, we like to unpack & get the cabin organized right away & not have that task looming over our heads when we are headed out to dinner or a show.  

So glad to see this post. I was hoping we could carry on all of our luggage so that we could get the unpacking done quickly and have one less thing to worry about. One of the main reasons I purchased fttf. Since this is our first cruise we'll see how that all works out and make any necessary changes when we take our next cruise with our girls.

Carnival.com - Embarkation Luggage Information

Just read up on that site. Do the measurements and weight check and make sure it'll fit through the scanners. I've actually seen someone take golf clubs through the scanner before. And if you're flying in, of course check with the airline, they will have their own rules.

One other tip or suggestion related to this. If you do have multiple bags, make it so that you can condense it down to one roller. Either by one being a backpack or the kind of luggage that can stack and strap together. It's so much easier to roll one suitcase vs two. I've done the two thing in the past and it gets awkward and cumbersome, especially in a large group.

We always check our baggage and just have one small carry-on each.  One time we went with a group of friends and one couple chose to carry their luggage on and did not check it.  Another couple (who had checked their luggage) ended up having to assist them get all their luggage on-board.  To me its too much of a hassle. We've never had any problems and our luggage was always in our room by the time we needed it. 

You can carry it on as long as it will fit through the scanners.  We have gotten to the point where we can do a 7 day cruise in airplane size carry on suitcase and one small shoulder bag each.  Sometimes we have one slightly larger suite case if we decide to do a really dressy cruise for dinners instead of slacks and sun dresses, but even that is carry on size by the cruise standards.

However, make sure you can handle and maneuver whatever you take on please.  This means walking it long distance during the boarding process through crowds, up and down ramps (sometimes very steep), escalators, and even stairs (have had to deal with them all at one time or another).  I myself have almost have my cruise ruined before even getting on the ship when I tripped over the dropped bag in front of me by some one who couldn't handle it.  Also, been in many a line of frustrated people behind those trying to take their own cases on and can't manage them and have to keep stopping and blocking everyone.

We carry on to avoid delays in getting suitcases, and also because lost luggage seems to be getting more prevalent.  At least 25% of my cruises we get a letter in our room where they are asking "have you seen this suitcase, it is missing for a fellow passenger"

Edited by wemjam

This will be our first 7 day cruise with only carry ons. We will each have a rolling bag and a backpack. I found when we take larger bags we over pack. We prefer to do self assist debark and typically show up to the port a little later so rooms are usually available when we board. As others have mentioned we would rather have control over our luggage. It is a pita if you can't stop them off right away.

Those responding you take the luggage straight to your room ,  If you are not Diamond , Platinum , FTTF , Keys are now not in the mail box till 1:30   what do you do with your bags till then ? We are Platinum , but still check our bags , take the carry on to the room 

We always check in after the rooms are ready, so that's not been an issue. This most recent time we were on at 12:15 and the rooms were ready, that time I was planning to eat lunch and then check on the room. But didn't end up having to worry about it.