Carrying on Luggage

kyleg2949

43 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

I still check our two big suitcases.

There's no way on Earth I'm going to lug those on board.

Carry-ons are millstone-around-the-neck enough!

This.  Except I have a few more than two large checked suitcases. 😄

We carry ours simply because we pack lightly on rollaway carry ons. We do proceed straight to our stateroom and drop our bags off before doing anything else. 

• Like 1

For the last 3 cruises, we carry on our check bag (25") and our carry on.  No problem fitting thru the scanner.  Is it a hassle, probably but we want to get unpacked and get vacation started.

We are just gold. But we carry on everything. You may have to get firm with a porter who will insist they have to be checked. But just read up on the rules. It's no big deal to carry on big suitcases. I mean, the way we did it, it ended up being so easy, two rolling suitcases and that was it. Bookbags and handbags went in the big rollers and that was that. In the past we've lost luggage a few times, even when tags were double taped and stapled on. Yea, eventually you will probably get it back. But with more and more being a requirement to be carry-on, it is just as well to carry everything on.

But I know we are in the minority. We also self disembark.

• Like 1

We carried ours on last time and had to argue with the porter about it. We had no problems but didn't see anybody else doing it so I was just wondering if anybody else did it. It was definitely nice to be able to go ahead and unpack, starting our vacation earlier than most everybody else that had to wait all afternoon for their luggage. 

We are Platinums and always check two luggage pieces and the one carry-on we take on board ourselves is full of soda and wine. Would never try to carry on the two big suitcases.....definitely worth the few bucks to tip the luggage handlers at the terminal. At the end of the cruise we always get a porter to schlep all the luggage and he takes it right out to valet parking for us. Again, well worth the few bucks to tip him.

2 hours ago, five. said:

You may have to get firm with a porter who will insist they have to be checked.

2 hours ago, kyleg2949 said:

We carried ours on last time and had to argue with the porter about it.

This was our experience each time as well.  Porters insisting we MUST check our larger luggage with them.  We just figured the Porters were so insistent on it as they felt they were possibly losing out on tips.

Edited by l2f

We are currently Platinum, but we have always checked luggage since our very first cruise on Carnival. To me it’s much more relaxing just carrying on a small gym bag and let Carnival handle the rest. Plus the first thing we do every cruise is head right to the atrium bar when we board for a few drinks.  Would be more difficult doing that if we had our luggage with us. 

We've carried on at three different ports on several different ships.   Each family member carries on their suitcase -25" each.  We go straight to the room and drop them off without lingering to get out of the stewards' way.  They fit through the scanners fine. We don't get hassled by the security staff either maybe because we are all able to lift our bags onto the scanner belt.   Since we are on early, we've not had a problem getting an elevator on any ship.  In Dec '18, we checked our bags on Vista to just try it out again and got our daughter's bag with the orange priority tape attached after 10pm with a note saying we inspected the bag but all was fine. Sorry for the inconvenience.  For 8 hours we were convinced the bag was lost since our other bags arrived around 1pm.  So we are resolved to carry on from here on out.  

We always carry on our own bags. They consist of one 22" Fortis Pro each as well as one mid-sized backpack each along with one 2 bottle wine tote. It is super simple even for people who aren't in the greatest physical shape. On one recent cruise we took one large 29" suitcase instead of the two and it fit through scanners just fine. We prefer the two smaller bags over the one large, but the scanners will work fine with the stated luggage size limits on the carnival website. Don't let porters worry you. I just nicely tell them that I checked the rules and it is fine, thanks. Its no hassle to roll a bag along next to me and the benefits of keeping it with me are many 😃 Checking bags gives me something to worry about and takes control of the timing of my day away from me. 

• 2 weeks later...

For years we handed ours over until my sister saw bags disappear into the water as they were boarding...letting that scenario complete itself in my imagination and no way was i taking that chance ....we only pack carryon and a medical bag and try not to have anything we dont really need...

• Like 1